Postby AndyMatts » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:05 am

"Have people ever annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?"

Has a very different Wisconsin/UW context. They need to be more detailed -

"You drink like a pussy, you loser! Slam it!"

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Two Questions Could Determine an Alcohol Problem

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 pm

I rarely drank while my kids were growing up. Now that I'm an empty nester, I do what I want. I love my craft beers, and I generally have one per evening at home, about half the evenings. Very occasionally, two. I might have three drinks maximum if I'm out for the evening. Still kind of a lightweight drinker. If I drink any more than that I get sick. So wag's intake sounds excessive to me, but as said above, in the end, it's your life. As long as you aren't putting anyone else in any danger, it's really up to you.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:Very occasionally, two. I might have three drinks maximum if I'm out for the evening. Still kind of a lightweight drinker. If I drink any more than that I get sick. So wag's intake sounds excessive to me, but as said above, in the end, it's your life. As long as you aren't putting anyone else in any danger, it's really up to you.

There is a physical reason for the gender difference in alcohol tolerance. Males have an enzyme that allows them to metabolize alcohol more quickly than females. The result is that it takes more alcohol for a male to have the same level of drunkenness /side effects as a female.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:19 pm

gargantua wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:Very occasionally, two. I might have three drinks maximum if I'm out for the evening. Still kind of a lightweight drinker. If I drink any more than that I get sick. So wag's intake sounds excessive to me, but as said above, in the end, it's your life. As long as you aren't putting anyone else in any danger, it's really up to you.

There is a physical reason for the gender difference in alcohol tolerance. Males have an enzyme that allows them to metabolize alcohol more quickly than females. The result is that it takes more alcohol for a male to have the same level of drunkenness /side effects as a female.

On a related note, alcohol is tolerated differently in different ethnic groups, as well. Native Americans, African Americans and Asians have much lower resistance to becoming addicted to alcohol due to the way they metabolize it. There are differences between individuals in general based on any number of factors.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”