Political Grammys

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Political Grammys

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:06 am

ichiban71 wrote:Could it be that he is just so exceptionally horrible and the rest of the world has just as much of a right to fear for the future of this planet?

it's possible but i doubt it . . . as i pointed out elsewhere, it seems as if his current job is a step down from what he was doing before . . .

firstly, it appears that, the output of political* and politically-active artist types† on both the pro and anti sides aside , the rest of the world seems to have gone on with life as has been the case in other years after presidents -- or other presidents like macron, van der bellen, grabar-kitarović, áder, steinmeier, mattartella, putin, duda &c as well as various prime ministers, governors-general, chancellors, taoiseaches, federal council members and presidents, premiers, king/queen/&c, strongpeople and the like have taken office -- and the continual trump bashing/trump defending in various media may tax trump's patience at times but it does not appear to have changed his mind at all and is irresponsible, and probably only serves to further inflate mr trump's ego . . .

secondly, to cite the most relevant example, h r c and her husband are having more of an impact . . . especially on health, education & welfare type things like malaria, human trafficking and the other issues they work on at the clinton initiative and other organisations than trump is, h r c could have now, or bill clinton did 1992-2000 . . . hell, jimmy carter got some folks together and has pretty much eliminated draculaniasis, and then there are oprah winfrey, bill gates, and the like too . . . even other things like space exploration . . .

thirdly, as a dog who actually managed to catch a fire engine he was chasing, he may be bewildered and self-defeating enough to have his irresponsibility be self-limiting . . . he set out to do like a fire tornado in the republican primaries, and probably also expected to lose the general election, also the outcome predicted (because they thought for some reason that if one repeats something often enough it will just happen) just as did the incompetents and basket cases that predominated‡ in h r c's campaign organisation and the irresponsible journalists and bloggers and others who are nothing of the sort but taken to be, the corrupt majority of pollsters, and pundits blinded by hubris . . . trump's campaign was, like ed muskie's in 1972 as seen by hunter s thompson, run as if it were run by a gang of junkies trying to send a rocket to the moon to check out rumours that the craters were full of smack . . . in any other year he would have ended up with a well-sub-40-per-cent result . . . a lot of what he did and did not do doesn't really make sense otherwise.

---
* which, by definition, is certainly important -- in its own way . . .
† which, de facto, is perhaps of significant importance, but not to the extent they may think, and this kind of thing doesn't help them . . .
‡ not exactly 100 per cent -- i exempt podesta from this.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 pm

That was not the best Grammys I have seen, and I think they lost focus and that is what made it less than optimum.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 pm

I have never, ever, watched it. My wife who always does didn't care for it. I suspect that people are just getting tired of the constant drama. Maybe that's the point. Bring it on.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 pm

I don't watch award shows, but all art is political. So I support their support for a humane and just government, which we do not currently have.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 am

gargantua wrote:I have never, ever, watched it. My wife who always does didn't care for it. I suspect that people are just getting tired of the constant drama. Maybe that's the point. Bring it on.

The thing that is really troubling is the proportion of the population which might think there is no other way but the drama as it is now. Sounds like the 2000 election is still on the stove. But I think this started in 1993 with Republicans and other conservatives not even giving Bill Clinton, a well-known Conservative Democrat no less, a chance at all and began all that trouble starting the day after the election. I even remember impeachment talk in March 1993 for no discernable reason other than those who claimed to be upset that he did not get 50% + 1 of the vote.

It might even have been Iran-Contra (1987). Maybe the run-up to the 1980 election including the 1978 mid term elections with all the rancor coming from Falwell, Anita Bryant etc., and some people on the other side. Or was it Watergate? Or was it sometime in the 1960s with everything happening then? McCarthyism in the 1950s? The Civil War? I do still see the battle flag of the Confederacy on occasion.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 am

I think it started with Rush Limbaugh's radio show. Right after Clinton was elected, it was a drumbeat of "America Held Hostage: Day 3". That was the beginning of the right wing attack machine. The whole endless Vince Foster, and Whitewater schtick.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 am

Michelle Obama was a speaker at last night's show.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/201 ... 31385.html

Trump supporter Joy Villa wears a 'Build the Wall' gown
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gra ... 48281.html

Return to “General Music”