Political Grammys

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 am

I am not a big fan of award shows, but the TV in the living room is often tuned to award shows. So I always see some of them.

When did the Grammys become a political rally with songs? Is this common, or is this year unusual. I mean, I am not exactly a fan of Trump, but it seemed inappropriate to make the show (or at least the parts I watched) all about how much everyone in the music business hates Trump. Nor did it seem appropriate to have an Irish band playing a song for the purpose of criticizing the policies of an American president. Nor having a British host lead a We Hate Trump skit. Were no Americans up to the job?

Think about it. Suppose Obama were still president, and large chunks of an awards show was devoted to We Hate Obama. I would certainly find that quite offensive. Especially if they brought in foreigners to criticize him. Why is it OK when the president is a Republican?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 am

Paleo2 wrote:When did the Grammys become a political rally with songs?

Since Trump was elected. Same thing has happened with the movie and tv award shows. Remember Oprah's speech a few weeks ago?

I'm rather tired of it, also. Nightly talk shows, letters to the editor, sing alongs and protest rallies are for political critique. I'd rather watch award shows without political commentary and protests.

What Irish band and British skit? I didn't see them.

ichiban71
Senior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Political Grammys

Postby ichiban71 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 am

Could it be that he is just so exceptionally horrible and the rest of the world has just as much of a right to fear for the future of this planet?

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 am

Beaver wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:When did the Grammys become a political rally with songs?

Since Trump was elected. Same thing has happened with the movie and tv award shows. Remember Oprah's speech a few weeks ago?

I'm rather tired of it, also. Nightly talk shows, letters to the editor, sing alongs and protest rallies are for political critique. I'd rather watch award shows without political commentary and protests.

What Irish band and British skit? I didn't see them.


Irish band -- U2 played with the Statue of Liberty as a prop, to protest Trump's immigration plans. Because what is more appropriate than having Europeans tell us what our policies should be on nationwide TV?

http://ew.com/awards/2018/01/28/grammys ... rformance/

Skit with English host -- the host of the Grammys was an Englishman. He ran a skit to make fun of Trump, and the skit included Hillary Clinton. Because what is more appropriate than having a European tell us on nationwide TV whom we should've elected? (Full disclosure -- I voted for Mrs. Clinton, and made sure my wife and adult children did as well. The very first vote I cast in my life was for Bill Clinton in the 1978 Arkansas Gubernatorial Primary. I worked on Bill Clinton's congressional primary campaign back in 1974, Arkansas Third District. I attended the surprise birthday party thrown for Bill Clinton in 1978, which he showed pictures of in his autobiography. Earlier that day I had brunch with Bill. And I still thought the Trump-bashing in an award show inappropriate.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/mus ... ys-n841836
Last edited by Paleo2 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:26 am

ichiban71 wrote:Could it be that he is just so exceptionally horrible and the rest of the world has just as much of a right to fear for the future of this planet?


I just don't think an American entertainment awards show should be given over to foreigners criticizing American politics.

ichiban71
Senior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Political Grammys

Postby ichiban71 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 am

At least the foreigners are real people and not Russian bots this time.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

ichiban71 wrote:At least the foreigners are real people and not Russian bots this time.


LOL! Good one.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 am

I want to make it clear that I am not criticizing political themes in music or any other art. There have been many great song writers who have veered over to politics, most notably Neal Young. Mr. Young’s best songs were mostly political.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Political Grammys

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 am

Paleo2 wrote:
Beaver wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:When did the Grammys become a political rally with songs?

Since Trump was elected. Same thing has happened with the movie and tv award shows. Remember Oprah's speech a few weeks ago?

I'm rather tired of it, also. Nightly talk shows, letters to the editor, sing alongs and protest rallies are for political critique. I'd rather watch award shows without political commentary and protests.

What Irish band and British skit? I didn't see them.


Irish band -- U2 played with the Statue of Liberty as a prop, to protest Trump's immigration plans. Because what is more appropriate than having Europeans tell us what our policies should be on nationwide TV?

http://ew.com/awards/2018/01/28/grammys ... rformance/

Skit with English host -- the host of the Grammys was an Englishman. He ran a skit to make fun of Trump, and the skit included Hillary Clinton. Because what is more appropriate than having a European tell us on nationwide TV whom we should've elected?


the implication there is that trump is as bad as other folks who have led to international teeth-gnashiing like kurt waldheim, jörg haider,, the le pen crowd &c, which may or may not be a bridge too far . . . i for one thought the programme last night was tedious to a bit short of the fingernails on the chalkboard level, irrespective of the ideology . . . at least they were honouring musicians, who are indispensable whatever they play . . . when actors spout off, i always think "well, who pays u to do nothing?" the public of course . . .
Last edited by gozer on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27942
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 am

Paleo2 wrote: There have been many great song writers who have veered over to politics, most notably Neal Young. Mr. Young’s best songs were mostly political.

Young is a Canadian who often talks/sings about American politics.

ichiban71
Senior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Political Grammys

Postby ichiban71 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 am

The "shining city upon a hill" lost its moral authority when it elected a reality TV host for a leader. Maybe we need to start listening to the rest of the world.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Paleo2 wrote: There have been many great song writers who have veered over to politics, most notably Neal Young. Mr. Young’s best songs were mostly political.

Young is a Canadian who often talks/sings about American politics.


True. And John Lennon was a Brit who often talked/ sang about American politics.

I can’t remember the Grammys show which set aside time for Young and Lennon to bash Nixon. Maybe someone else remembers.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Political Grammys

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:08 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Paleo2 wrote: There have been many great song writers who have veered over to politics, most notably Neal Young. Mr. Young’s best songs were mostly political.

Young is a Canadian who often talks/sings about American politics.


close enough for government work . . . that is certainly what clinton and gore thought during the 1995 referendum in québec . . .

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Political Grammys

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am

ichiban71 wrote:The "shining city upon a hill" lost its moral authority when it elected a reality TV host for a leader. Maybe we need to start listening to the rest of the world.


There is a time and place for everything. I just don't think the Grammys are the appropriate time nor place.

Non-stop Trumpity Trumpity Trump Trump Trump is a bit wearying. It seems like the guy has been president the past 20 years by this point. People need time to get away from divisive politics, and maybe heal some of our country's wounds rather than constantly ripping them open.

ichiban71
Senior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Political Grammys

Postby ichiban71 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am

Normally, I'd agree with you except for the fact that it is our President who is doing the ripping open of those wounds. Unfortunately, a large portion of this country no longer has any faith in the news media and if it takes a pop star to connect and educate, so be it.


Return to “General Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest