Worst supergroup ever

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Worst supergroup ever

Postby Igor » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm

More supergroups should do stuff like this:

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Speaking of John Mayall. Prof, would consider Fleetwood Mac a supergroup?
Nah.
While true that Fleetwood, McVie, and original guitarist Peter Green all got their start with Mayall, I've never had the impression they were already famous when they formed Mac (although being neither British nor old enough to have been there, perhaps I'm wrong on that count) and second guitarist Jeremy Spencer was completely unknown. Christine Perfect (later McVie) was probably more famous than any of them, having enjoyed some (again, only British) success in Chicken Shack, but she wouldn't technically become a member til album number three.

But what about the pop juggernaut they became when Buckingham and Nicks joined? FM was established by then, and B&N had had some commercial success previous to becoming Macs. Not enough output or accomplishment from B&N to qualify that version of Fleetwood Mac as a supergroup?

In the late '70s I heard a Kansas City DJ refer to Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods as a "supergroup." If one accepts that designation it could make them the worst supergroup ever.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am

scratch wrote:. . . and B&N had had some commercial success previous to becoming Macs.

If that were true then perhaps I'd agree, but the Buckingham Nicks album was a complete flop (and has literally never been reissued even to this day.)

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:35 pm

One of my all-time favorite supergroups was the Travelling Wilburys.

Think about it.

Had a former Beatle (George Harrison)
Had a Nobel Prize laureate as one of the lyricists (Bob Dylan).
Had one of the best singers in the US (Roy Orbison)
Had Tom Petty when he was at his prime
Had Jeff Lynne who was a fairly innovative songwriter, a great producer, but mostly was in the band cause he was George's close friend.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Paleo2 wrote:One of my all-time favorite supergroups was the Travelling Wilburys.

Think about it...

I like the story George Harrison used to tell about how they wrote their first song, "Here we were, a bunch of great song writers, & we couldn't think of anything to write. So I'm looking around the room, and there's a box that says 'Handle With Care'..."

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Paleo2 wrote:Had Jeff Lynne who was a fairly innovative songwriter, a great producer, but mostly was in the band cause he was George's close friend.

To my ears, he impacted the sound of the Wilbury albums (as well as Petty's and Harrison's solo stuff) more than any of the other members. It all sounded like ELO to me, but I was a big ELO fan back in the day. Until they started to really suck, anyway. I blame Brad Garrett.

Return to “General Music”