They stab it with their steely knives

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

They stab it with their steely knives

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 pm

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: They stab it with their steely knives

Postby david cohen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't think that Steely Dan was a knife, Henry...but, perhaps, a diamond cutter....Becker was a genius and a major influence of many musical dudes. Sounds like this wasn't unexpected by those close to him, but for the rest of us...dammit, take some politicians already and leave our talent pool alone!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Yes, I know that the duo took their name from a sex toy. I just quoted a line from their rivals, the Eagles.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 am

david cohen wrote:I don't think that Steely Dan was a knife, Henry...

Right, but that line was originally "They stab it with their Steely Dan." And as Glenn Fry pointed out, "knives" still works as phallic imagery. The line was friendly payback for the Steely Dan lyric "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening."

Glad I got to see Steely Dan a few years back.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Ducatista wrote:
david cohen wrote:I don't think that Steely Dan was a knife, Henry...

Right, but that line was originally "They stab it with their Steely Dan." And as Glenn Fry pointed out, "knives" still works as phallic imagery. The line was friendly payback for the Steely Dan lyric "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening."

Glad I got to see Steely Dan a few years back.

I saw them as a young teen in 1973 (?) before they stopped touring, and then again when they re-grouped. Always a great show....although the past 5 yrs or so, things got pretty stagnant, but John Herrington is a great guitarist and when coupled with Becker, they pretty much covered all the Steely Dan bases. I could listen to Katie Lied once a day and not get sick of their changes, but Can't Buy A Thrill still flips my switch and Pretzel Logic was my stoner dream come true in a sick sorta way back in the day:)

Return to “General Music”