Hendrix...

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Hendrix...

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Chas Chandler flies Jimi out of his low-income housing flat in Greenwich Village to London, and somehow convinces Cream to let an unknown Jimi jam with them onstage during a gig...

Chris Squire from YES opened for one of the Experience's first gigs. This is neat : )

Bonus video...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hendrix...

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

I don't know how a guy rises up out of nowhere like he did, tours as backup for years, is discovered in a low-income housing project, then flies to the UK, blows Eric Clapton off the stage upon arrival procuring the attention of the entire who's who in rock music, and makes a record as incredible as "Are You Experienced" with virtually no experience in the control room with 3 strangers he just met...

And it endures so powerfully for this long...

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 am

Don't believe every single detail of the story. 1)Chandler was already a heavyweight in London and the UK music scene. 2)Jimi was already on the radar of the in-crowd in the UK via Keith Richards' girlfriend and the Rolling Stones family. 3)Jimi was fairly well known in NYC by August 1966, both for his backup roles with The Isley Bros. and his presence in the larger R & B scene. 4)He was a must-see attraction at Cafe Wha all summer in 1966. 5)His band Jimi James & The Flames regularly backed up John Hammond Jr. (son of Columbia's main talent seeker John Hammond) that summer. Also, history regularly errs in claiming that Chandler was responsible for the spelling change to Hendrix's first name- he was already JIMI when he left NYC for London in September 1966...so basically, Jimi James Hendrix had the connections when he landed in London, all he had to do was play like he was capable of playing, which he did, and the rest is history:)

If you haven't already, score a copy of Steve Roby's "Black Gold" or ANY of his other Hendrix books.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 pm

... he also backed up for Little Richard. Les Paul was actually the first to discover Jimi but couldn't locate him when he had time to get it together.

Linda turned to Andrew Loog Oldham first, the Stones manager, to sign Jimi, but he refused. But still, to be able to take the stage with Cream his first week in the UK, blow Clapton off the stage, and achieve that sound on his first LP in 1966 with all the effects. That's pretty incredible, really. The Beatles thought they did some thing special with feedback for the open on Day Tripper. It's light years beyond to the trippy Pink Floyd sound from February 67...

Ttusker
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 pm

The Beatles song with the feedback in the intro is "I Feel Fine".

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 pm

That's right. I must be getting old...

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 am

jonnygothispen wrote:That's right. I must be getting old...

All of us who were alive in those days are getting old. :(

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:That's right. I must be getting old...

All of us who were alive in those days are getting old. :(

It's a pretty wild feeling trying to explain the 60s & 70s to kids who 'dig' the music from that era. I kind of have to laugh to myself when I try it, but they're attentive. So it's nice...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 pm

These are neat...There's a whole series of these
Narrated by Noel, Mitch, Chas and Eddie Kramer.

... and he was only here 3 years from the release of his 1st LP. It must've been traumatic to see that kind of impact then "Poof!" Gone...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Neat stories of early Hendrix shows in DC after they left the Monkees tour...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 6c580c00c2

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Just talked to a guy who worked at the Factory as a teen & claims he carried Jimi's gear in, "18 guitars!" Said he's got COLOR pics of the show from a Kodak 'Brownie' camera, and of Hendrix, Mitch & Noel backstage, & would bring them in. I'll see if somehow I can get a few copies, or if he's willing to share them publicly. He gave quite a few details from that night... He also worked the night Otis Redding didn't show up for his gig.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 pm

This is neat...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 am

Cool beans! 10 new tracks unearthed!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... gs-w513540

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Little known fact: Jimi appeared in his own x-rated film...yeah, i know, prove that...when he turns and looks into the camera with a big smile, there was no doubt at all. In this day and age, he might have been kicked off the record label!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 pm

david cohen wrote:Little known fact: Jimi appeared in his own x-rated film...yeah, i know, prove that...when he turns and looks into the camera with a big smile, there was no doubt at all. In this day and age, he might have been kicked off the record label!

I seem to remember hearing that bit of lore several years ago, so I wouldn't reject it out of hand.

Return to “General Music”