What! No Monkees threads???

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

What! No Monkees threads???

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri May 06, 2016 3:49 pm

"Debunking Every Excuse For Keeping The Monkees Out Of The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnnyr6/debun ... qhM095P43a

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What! No Monkees threads???

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Wags will defend the Monkees as true musicians. Me, not so much. (We had a discussion on this in the past.) The exception is Mike Nesmith.

On the plus side, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band covered "Mary, Mary."

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Wags will defend the Monkees as true musicians.

Eh . . . they aren't necessarily the greatest musicians but they sure as shit recorded a whole boatload of awesome music (much of it unreleased back in the day.) Nesmith is an A-1 songwriter and a fantastic singer, as was Dolenz. Ultimately the "did they play it themselves" thing is just a goofy argument since using session players was the norm for most '60s pop music anyway. Given the attention afforded The Wrecking Crew in recent years, I'd think we'd've moved past that discussion at this point. That said, easily the best album of The Monkees career is Headquarters, their third, and the only one where it really is mostly The Monkees playing on everything. I mean come on, who wants to tell me that this is not a fantastic recording?
Written by Michael Nesmith
Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Backing vocals: Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork
Electric 12-String Guitar: Michael Nesmith
Bass: Chip Douglas
Drums: Micky Dolenz
Banjo: Peter Tork
Tambourine: Davy Jones
Zither: Micky Dolenz

Henry Vilas wrote:On the plus side, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band covered "Mary, Mary."

Technically, no. The Butterfield version predates The Monkees. Others recorded Nesmith's stuff both before and after The Monkees (the most famous being "Different Drum" by Linda Ronstadt, although the version he recorded later for a solo LP is far superior, imho.)

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 06, 2016 4:32 pm

His mom invented "white out".

For you young people, no that is not a precursor to "Black lives matter".

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 06, 2016 4:36 pm

How is it that Mike Nesmith can wear a knit cap indoors and not look like a dweeb?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri May 06, 2016 4:37 pm

"From The Monkees LP "Headquarters". Written by the four Monkees (according to Peter, composition was done primarily by Micky and Mike), but as a reward for his hard work on the album, the band decided to credit the song to recording engineer Hank Cicalo, guaranteeing him a large royalty check!"

... and another written by Nesmith.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 pm

bdog wrote:His mom invented "white out".

First of all, the product is called Wite-Out.
Second of all, the generic name is "correction fluid".
Third of all, Nesmith's mom did indeed invent the stuff but her brand name was Liquid Paper.
Fourth of all, uh . . . Vote My Cat Stanley for President!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 06, 2016 5:12 pm

I regret that the Monkees movie "Head" apparently is available on Blu-ray only as part of pricey box sets.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Echoes of Pink Floyd on this Nesmith tune...

Nesmith country...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 06, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm old enough to remember when a very young Micky Dolenz was Corky on Circus Boy.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 pm

When the Beatles first came to America and appeared on the "Ed Sullivan Show" I was a month short of 16-years-old. A few years back I bought the DVDs of all their appearances on Ed. They were of the full shows, including commercials. Davy Jones was on that first show, singing from his Broadway musical "Oliver." The Monkees later jumped on the Beatles bandwagon, imitating their antics from the A Hard Day's Night movie. I found that interesting.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 06, 2016 7:05 pm

fennel wrote:How is it that Mike Nesmith can wear a knit cap indoors and not look like a dweeb?
... speaking of Monkees threads, I mean.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat May 07, 2016 11:46 am

I loved watching "The Monkees" when I was a kid and recently revisited the first couple of episodes. The music is great, and the comedy is genial, though many of the gags seem to date back at least to vaudeville. That the Monkees were so cute helps a lot.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat May 07, 2016 11:49 am

On a related note, in recent weeks I have listened to the Nesmith solo track "The Crippled Lion" at least 50 times.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat May 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I loved watching "The Monkees" when I was a kid and recently revisited the first couple of episodes. The music is great, and the comedy is genial, though many of the gags seem to date back at least to vaudeville. That the Monkees were so cute helps a lot.

Yeah, the show was a real mixed-bag. I have a complete DVD box set and there's more clunkers than gems, to be sure (especially in the final season when a feuding Nesmith was barely present at all.) But there's a handful of thoroughly winning episodes too -- the Stan Freberg/toy company episode is particularly adorable -- and the music was always mostly good-to-great. It's also fun to spot the celebrity cameos and guest stars (some slumming, some probably grateful for the work.) The movie Head, on the other hand, is really quite amazing, in a variety of ways.

Kenneth Burns wrote:On a related note, in recent weeks I have listened to the Nesmith solo track "The Crippled Lion" at least 50 times.
Fantastic! All of the First and Second National Band records are treasures.
One of my frequent nominees for most beautiful love song ever: "Propinquity"

Return to “General Music”