Here they are, The Beatles...

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Here they are, The Beatles...

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Watch the whole Rolling Stones Rock & Roll circus. It was strange... The Stones didn't release it until 1997 because the WHO's performance "Blew" theirs away. Jethro Tull performs in it with... Tony Iommi on lead before he joined Sabbath. Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithful... Brian Jones was sort of a ghost by then.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat May 27, 2017 7:29 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... =051917_15

John Lennon's Accidental 'Getting Better' Acid Trip
Lennon swallowed the wrong pill the night he was supposed to record backing harmonies for the song. Weirdness – and male bonding – ensued

"I thought I was taking some uppers and I was not in the state of handling it," Lennon told Rolling Stone in 1970. "I said, 'What is it, I feel ill?' I thought I felt ill and I thought I was going cracked ...

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat May 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Neat that a high-profile Beatles documentary is playing theatrically, but 1) how many times can this story be told and 2) Ron Howard.

Finally got around to watching this and while I was certainly entertained, as a longtime Beatles fan I can't say there was really anything particularly new about it, so I'm unclear why there was such a hubbub when it came out. I guess most people aren't as familiar with this stuff as I am? Also, "The Touring Years" seems like a strangely arbitrary constraint, especially given how much pre-touring years material it contains. If that's what you wanted to focus on, why not start there? It reminds me of superhero movies . . . do we really need to hear the origin story again? Don't we all already know this stuff? Anyway, what always blows me away when I watch the live footage from this era is just how freakin' tight they were. Very skilled musicians doing amazing stuff in an era before monitors.

Question for jonny: Why the quotes around blew in the comment below?
jonnygothispen wrote:Watch the whole Rolling Stones Rock & Roll circus. It was strange... The Stones didn't release it until 1997 because the WHO's performance "Blew" theirs away.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat May 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Not a big fan of their early years but adore everything from Rubber Soul onward. Just scored the 24/96 re-release of Sgt Peppers (which doesn't have all the extra material) as well as the Sgt Peppers Deluxe (which does have all the extra material) and they sounded great cranked up at home today! I thin Sgt Peppers is the pinnacle of McCartney bass tone.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: Question for jonny: Why the quotes around blew in the comment below?
jonnygothispen wrote:Watch the whole Rolling Stones Rock & Roll circus. It was strange... The Stones didn't release it until 1997 because the WHO's performance "Blew" theirs away.

I recall reading that that was the reason they didn't release it in 68, and whoever wrote it used that word. Not necessary to quote it now, I suppose.

I'm just kind of obsessed with 60s & 70s culture before the information age, or BC: Before Computers.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun May 28, 2017 5:37 pm

david cohen wrote:Not a big fan of their early years but adore everything from Rubber Soul onward....

I like almost everything including cheesy stuff like Mr. Moonlight, Baby's in Black, I'll Follow the Sun or especially the early rockers...

There's an innocent energy that glows & reminds me of what's good about being alive...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Channeling the Beatles

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Channeling John Lennon

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... =060117_11

"When [George Martin] was doing his TV program on Pepper," McCartney recalled, "he asked me, 'Do you know what caused Pepper?' I said, 'In one word, George, drugs. Pot.' And George said, 'No, no. But you weren't on it all the time.' 'Yes, we were.' Sgt. Pepper was a drug album."

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 pm

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Well, at least Pete Best got a few million quid out of royalties from the Anthology production.

There are those who say Neil Aspinall, executive producer of the Anthology series, made sure Pete Best got lots of money from it.

Neil Aspinall, as hard-core Beatles fans may remember, was a childhood friend of Paul and George, and also had a love child (Roag Best) with Mona Best, Pete's mother. Neil was friendly with all the former Beatles all his life.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy despite his lack of talent. He was pretty diplomatic and respectful with his comments about the Beatles.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:45 am

F-bomb on radio version of Hey Jude?

http://didyouknowfacts.com/f-bomb-hey-j ... 41b85aaeb5

Return to “General Music”