"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:22 am

Probably no one remembers this thread--but I have been thinking about it recently. My nephews have been visiting me from out of town this summer. That has been very nice.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer earlier this year. I retired from my teaching position at the end of the spring semester. Even if I did not get sick, I was long overdue.

I truly regret that I did not have a closer relationship with my brother Brian, who I reminisced about before. He died four years ago now. He was truly a nice person. I miss him a lot.

But my nephews have all visited me here in Madison this summer! I have not really felt up for traveling. My oldest newphew, Noel, took me to see the musical based on the life of Carole King. I was surprised that I recognized so many of the songs. Many of them I could quietly sing to.

I guess rock music made a bigger impression on me than I thought!

I know no one will read this long dormant conversation--but I thought I would bring it up to date.

I can be obsessive like that...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:15 am

I'm really sorry to hear about the pancreatic cancer. I hope your treatment goes well.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Thank you Gargantua. It is going as well as can be expected. I'm keeping a positive attitude and trying to enjoy life.
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Most Rockin' Thread Ever

Postby penquin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:58 am

Glad to hear you're keeping upbeat about your medical conditions, and am really glad you bumped up this thread. Just spent some time re-reading it and it truly is a gem.

As a way of saying "thanks", here is one of my favorite songs from Neil Diamond

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:53 am

Thank you for the kind thoughts Penquin. And Neil Diamond is really rockin' in that video! He has a lot of soul in him too!

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:24 pm

I am sure many of you saw this week that Neil “hard rockin’” Diamond announced that he will no longer do concert tours because he has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

I have other bad news to share—“Swimming Upstream” passed away in early December from complications from her struggle with pancreatic cancer.

I had coffee with her a couple months before. I was curious to meet her and reached out to her on another social media platform.

I am glad I did. To be understated, a very interesting woman. A woman with a lot of sharp opinions. But also a great understated sense of humor.

Life is weird.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you for the update.

The human side of our lives is often quite at odds with the online side.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know. Could be both.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Life is weird.

^this

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Maybe her memory be for a blessing...

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Tonight PBS is playing a Neil Diamond concert on TV. (Part of a pledge drive of course.) It has made me think of our old friend Swimmy.

Even though Neil looks like he is in his 70s, he is “rockin’” pretty well on some songs. I was not much of a fan of his until this thread from five years ago. You have to acknowledge that he is helluva entertainer.

Hot August Nights indeed.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am

Westsidegal wrote:Tonight PBS is playing a Neil Diamond concert on TV. (Part of a pledge drive of course.) It has made me think of our old friend Swimmy.
Even though Neil looks like he is in his 70s, he is “rockin’” pretty well on some songs. I was not much of a fan of his until this thread from five years ago. You have to acknowledge that he is helluva entertainer.

Not unlike Guy Lombardo.

Return to “General Music”