The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby Igor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:43 pm

gargantua wrote:Seems like a long time since he's posted anything.

Not sure of his views on Thin Lizzy. This is a spinoff group, that IMO, is still putting out good music in that vein...

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:33 pm

I must have missed the thread where everyone talks about the new Judas Priest album. :) As per usual, the songs where they try to be more modern or "thrashy" are less successful, while the songs where they play to their strength (70's - 80's style hard rock with very good vocals) are very successful. There aren't many bands of their era putting out product anymore, and their last few offerings were nothing to write home about either, so this was a pleasant surprise. Given the advancing ages of the participants, this may be the last one.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 am

DCB wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote: With their third single, they knocked it out of the park with "You Really Got Me". Everyone probably knows that song is often cited as the first to employ power chords and distortion .

I'd never heard that before. In fact, I've often heard that Marty Robbins' Don't Worry (about the 1'26'' mark) is often considered the first use of distortion.

I'll grant that this is likely a contentious argument.

Confirmed!
Glenn Snoddy, the studio engineer who was at the controls for the historic Nashville recording session that inadvertently produced the sound that became known as the fuzz tone, died on May 21 at his home in Murfreesboro, Tenn. He was 96.

I miss the Listening project.

Return to “General Music”