Richard Thompson

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Richard Thompson

Postby MPMay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

I try to get out to the Stoughton Opera House a couple times a year, and caught Richard Thompson's acoustic show out there on Friday last. I was only vaguely knowledgeable of his work, but what I knew I liked.

I was more impressed than I expected I would be. He is simply a very, very talented musician and song writer. I knew he had been in Fairport Convention, and has had a long musical journey since then.

Outstanding show. If you get a chance to see him, go.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Richard Thompson

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:28 am

Went to see RT at the Barrymore last night. The wife was sick, so we didn't stay for the whole show. He was backed by a drummer / bass player, with the guitar tech sitting in as a second guitar on some songs.

As usual, his stage banter was hilarious. He mostly played material from his new album, which was pleasant enough although not especially memorable. He did introduce one song as 'a number I wrote when I was 18,' which turned out to be "A Tale in Hard Time," an old Fairport Convention number that has one of my favorite opening couplets of all time:

Take the sun from my heart
Let me learn to despise...

The dude shows absolutely no sign of slowing down.

Return to “Madison Music”