New music venue on East Wash

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New music venue on East Wash

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:33 pm

And the city took a big shit on that project.

And at first, city officials seemed solidly behind their concept, which would be paired with office space, parking and 100 units of affordable housing. But the Frank brothers were devastated this week when Madison planning staff informed them they do not support the club proposal.

"We're just stunned," Larry Frank tells Isthmus. "We thought we were doing something the city wanted and that was good for the community."

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=43954

That really sucks. I think they had an opportunity to improve the corridor, but some NIMBY's just weren't gonna have it. From the article, it looks like Frank production had plans for the traffic, but folks just didn't want to listen.

Thanks assholes.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:And the city took a big shit on that project.

Only 280 parking stalls to serve 100 apartments and a 2,000-seat venue? You don't see the problem?

I'd like to know what the Franks' plans were other than "dump parking onto neighboring streets" as that article gives no details.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm

T

And at first, city officials seemed solidly behind their concept, which would be paired with office space, parking and 100 units of affordable housing. But the Frank brothers were devastated this week when Madison planning staff informed them they do not support the club proposal.

"We're just stunned," Larry Frank tells Isthmus. "We thought we were doing something the city wanted and that was good for the community."

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=43954

That really sucks. I think they had an opportunity to improve the corridor, but some NIMBY's just weren't gonna have it. From the article, it looks like Frank production had plans for the traffic, but folks just didn't want to listen.

Thanks assholes.

The neighborhood folks made up their minds before there was any real discussion -- their concern was real....I mean, they DID make a facebook group. #makethecitythesuburbs

-Dan Motor

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:

Only 280 parking stalls to serve 100 apartments and a 2,000-seat venue? You don't see the problem?

I'd like to know what the Franks' plans were other than "dump parking onto neighboring streets" as that article gives no details.

Seems to me that Tag Evers addressed that issue pretty directly in his first comment on that article.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Only 280 parking stalls to serve 100 apartments and a 2,000-seat venue? You don't see the problem?

How do they deal with Breese Stevens Field which can hold over 4000 people? The city has big plans to use this more often given the massive remodel. Why isn't this going to be a problem?

green union terrace chair wrote:I'd like to know what the Franks' plans were other than "dump parking onto neighboring streets"

Shuttle buses and traffic cops. Rummel herself said that if the venue was on the other side of the street, then it wouldn't be an issue. Divert parking across East Washington.

It's how it is all over this city. Plus, there are plans to build a larger parking garage which could help accommodate.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:20 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Seems to me that Tag Evers addressed that issue pretty directly in his first comment on that article.

He makes a really great point about the Barrymore. A lot of people who go to these shows don't drive, but cab, walk, bus, and bike. I can't remember the last time I've driven my car to see a show in Madison.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Rummel herself said that if the venue was on the other side of the street, then it wouldn't be an issue.
I'm trying to understand why it makes any difference to the density of traffic which side of the street a venue is on. Can someone help me out?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Bland wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Rummel herself said that if the venue was on the other side of the street, then it wouldn't be an issue.
I'm trying to understand why it makes any difference to the density of traffic which side of the street a venue is on. Can someone help me out?

The side they are proposing it on has is much more residential homes behind the venue. If you cross East Wash, the area behind(Main Street, etc...) is a bit more industrial. I guess her thought is that people don't know how to park over there and cross a street. I think it's asinine. Once people know where there is parking they'll go there.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:10 pm

The south side of E Wash has been shown to be a good place for businesses that generate noise and parking issues -- look at High Noon.

Crossing E Wash on foot, even where there 's a light, is not pleasant especially at night.

While there are buses up and down the avenue, it's nowhere near as bus-convenient as Schenk-Atwood.

Bike access to the south side of E Wash is more convenient for most visitors than the north side (main bike path runs only a couple quiet blocks to the south) although for some routes, using the path that goes under the Yahara bridge is helpful.

All little annoyances in themselves, but they add up when you're siting a significant entertainment venue.

I liked the idea of a theater- music venue on the north side of the highway, but I think the south side might be even better given that we now have a choice.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:While there are buses up and down the avenue, it's nowhere near as bus-convenient as Schenk-Atwood.

Are you kidding me? Here are the buses you could use to get to the venue if you were willing to walk a couple blocks.

2,5,6,10,14,15,27, and 28.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm

True, but in the winter a lot of people complain about walking a few blocks.

It just is. I'm not defending them.

Add bus #3 and #38.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Seems to me that Tag Evers addressed that issue pretty directly in his first comment on that article.

He makes a really great point about the Barrymore. A lot of people who go to these shows don't drive, but cab, walk, bus, and bike. I can't remember the last time I've driven my car to see a show in Madison.

I live on the far Southwest side, so don't have many reasonable options for going to the Barrymore without driving. Still not a problem - you just have to walk.

It's almost as if you have to propose "Sewage Treatment Plant" and "Chainsaw Carving School" as the alternative options when anything like this is proposed.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't see how they could bitch about a sewage treatment plant option. You wouldn't think that would cause any traffic or parking problems.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am

So there's no formal announcement, but I've been seeing things about it on Facebook.

The city approached Frank Productions about using Breese Stevens as an outdoor music venue, and the company decided to give it a try.

“It’s a gorgeous, historic venue that really has great seating for any kind of outdoor event,” said Charlie Goldstone, president of Frank Productions Concerts. “And Madison doesn’t have a lot of great outdoor facilities for concerts. There’s a few parks here and there, but I think Breese Stevens could be a really neat place to enjoy live music.”

Fighting Bob Fest, the annual progressive political rally, is expected to draw between 3,500 and 5,000 people on Sept. 19, according to a permit application filed with the city by the Madison Mallards summer collegiate baseball team, which is serving in a logistics management capacity.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/city ... z3bRpb0H1L

So folks in the neighborhood crapped on the idea of a music venue and now Breese Field will start holding concerts that attract about 5 times as many people. There is also fighting Bob fest and other events. I have no problem and think this is great, but I find it odd that in the article they said nobody in the neighborhood raised objections. That makes no sense to me.

That said, looks like we might have a new music venue on E. Wash after all.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 am

I'm on the near east side but it's a long walk to Breese Stevens so it's kind of outside my zone. For some strange reason, though, I am far less skeptical of using it as a music and event venue than I am of building a dedicated building for that use even if it's a mixed-use sort of building.

I wonder why. Is it because we like outdoor fests more than indoor? Or because they're only in the summer? Something more primal?

Return to “Madison Music”