Bennett’s Meadowood Country Club

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Bennett’s Meadowood Country Club

Postby Beaver » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 am

I went there a couple times when they were on Park St. Food didn't impress me. Haven't been to their new place. I enjoyed his Isthmus ads though. Clever jabs at Madison libs. I haven't seen them much lately and wonder what he thought of Trump. But like Wiganowsky he wanted smoking allowed in his place which I am against.

Gene Bennett of 'Smut and Eggs' fame dies at 76
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/gene ... eab37.html

Eggs over sleazy
https://isthmus.com/news/snapshot/snaps ... er-sleazy/

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bennett’s Meadowood Country Club

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:17 am

and like wiggie he was a great fellow too -- how awful . . .

i always liked both locations, park street and here in the neighbourhood -- and the faces on people when i first told them that or invited them to an outing there, saturday morning and otherwise . . . i guess i don't fit people's image of a regular* or enthusiastic customer thereof, and i was not the biggest fan of smoke either. . . even though i was a smoker (of tobacco) years ago, it was a pipe, which smelled different, even the stale smoke, and that and opium, which is vapourised, not actually smoked, i did not impose on people who may not want it . . . the fighting with the establishment about smoking in the establishment, well, they pushed all both of their buttons: i could understand that at least . . .

now, of course, when people smell opium smoke they get happy, want to have sex, wonder where it is coming from, how they can get some . . .

the entertainment on saturdays? generally pr0n rather than erotica but not always, my objection to the former being artistic, therein lying the rub -- of course that is protected by the first amendment -- one can't really impose their artistic and aesthetic tastes on people via the government, right? oppps . . . well, there was the national endowment for the arts tussle, and . . .

---
* my willingness to use r/nc-17-rated pictures tactically at least once on this site all the same . . .

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

The different locations were owned/operated by different Bennetts.

Rich had Park st location. Gene owned Meadowood.
And there was a time when sister Jan ran the Friendly on E Wash.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Rich (thought he went by Dick) once wore the Bucky Badger costume as a mascot for UW sports events. Later a centerfold in Playgirl magazine.

Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 pm

I've heard that Jan was Gene Bennett's (ex) wife, not a sister.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm

That's probably right. Years ago, while I was familiar with the bars, I didn't know any of the owners. I asked a friend about the 3 Bennett's bars. He knew Rich much better than Gene and must have described her as a sister-in-law, not sister. Thanks for the correction.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”