Favorite breakfast spots

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 am

Pretty good list. I've never been to several of them. 11 of the 27 are East side, 8 central, 5 West, and just 3 South. I would move My Sister's Kitchen near the bottom, move up Egg & I, remove CopperTop, add Hubbard Ave diner and Lola's cafe. Sofra could be added near the bottom.

Madison's favorite breakfast spots
https://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainm ... c6.html#27

"First we looked up the reviews of each of the top-ranked breakfast restaurants on TripAdvisor, Yelp, Google and Facebook then calculated their average score out of five stars. The result is the list below.

Is the list perfect? No, certainly not. Did we miss your favorite spot? There's a decent chance of that. Crowdsourced star ratings are subjective by nature, and we couldn't include every breakfast spot in the city.

No. 1: Monty's Blue Plate Diner, East
No. 2: Ogden's North Street Diner, East
No. 3: Pat O'Malley's Jet Room, East
No. 4 (tie): Cafe Maya, West
No. 4 (tie): Cottage Cafe, East
No. 4 (tie): Manna Cafe & Bakery, East
No. 7 (tie): Mickies Dairy Bar, central
No. 7 (tie): My Sister's Kitchen, West
No. 9: Crema Cafe, East
No. 10 (tie): Lazy Jane's Cafe & Bakery, East
No. 10 (tie): Madison Sourdough, East
No. 10 (tie): Marigold Kitchen, central
No. 10 (tie): Short Stack Eatery, central
No. 14: Johnson Public House, East
No. 15: Bassett Street Brunch Club, central
No. 16 (tie): Original Pancake House, West
No. 16 (tie): The Old Fashioned, central
No. 18: Colectivo Coffee (on the Square), central
No. 19: The Curve, South
No. 20: Daisy Cafe & Cupcakery, East
No. 21: Parkway Family Restaurant, South
No. 22: Willalby's Cafe, East
No. 23: Sunroom Cafe, central
No. 24: Coppertop Restaurant, West (or SW)
No. 25: Cafe Hollander, West
No. 26: Gooseberry on the Square, central
No. 27: The Egg & I, South"

Beard
Forum Addict
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm

I don't go out for breakfast a lot (it's a really easy meal to make at home) but when I do my favorites are, in no particular order...

Crema
Marigold
Lazy Jane's

Now for the obligatory, "How could they rate ______ so high?!" comments...

It doesn't matter what I order at Monty's, breakfast, lunch or dinner, I always feel sick afterward. I would take it off the list entirely. Please note that this isn't just anti Food Fight embellishment, I like some of their restaurants including Hubbard Ave Diner, which has a very similar menu to Monty's.

Pat O'Malley's at #3? The location is unique but the food is nothing special.

Manna Cafe has tasty food but the place itself doesn't impress me. That whole strip mall, including Bear and Bottle, is a weird place. I don't care for it.


I'll close with a, "They got that one about right." comment...

Daisy Cafe sees to sit about where it should in this list. It's pretty mediocre overall.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

I've been to about half those places. My own favorite is the Fair Oaks Diner. Just a nice little old timey breakfast joint.

I think Monty's food has its ups and downs but I've never actually felt sick after eating there. Which is once or twice a month.

msnflyer
Forum Addict
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:22 am
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby msnflyer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 am

I'm not posting my favorite because it's already busy enough.

I like Ogden's, great pork sausage. It's a special weekday treat, a bit pricy for my budget.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beaver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am

Beard wrote:Manna Cafe has tasty food but the place itself doesn't impress me. That whole strip mall, including Bear and Bottle, is a weird place. I don't care for it.

I'll close with a, "They got that one about right." comment...
Daisy Cafe sees to sit about where it should in this list. It's pretty mediocre overall.

I like Monty's but #1 seems high. I agree about Manna, good food in a run down place. Also agree with Daisy. It's mediocre and the parking lot is so small it seems like they mainly want people who walk or bike there.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5547
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

Beaver wrote:...in a run down place.

Really?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

I always preferred the Monona OPH, unmentioned here.

Beard
Forum Addict
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 am

jman111 wrote:
Beaver wrote:...in a run down place.

Really?



I can't speak for Beaver but...

Manna itself isn't run down, though it's nothing special either. The strip mall that it is in, the boarded up buildings across the street and, really, the entire surrounding area, are pretty sketchy. That stretch of Sherman just isn't a place that I seek out.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7172
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 am

Definitely not Mint Mark. Or Stalzy's.

Best to avoid those places like the plague. Especially on Sunday mornings around 9:30 a.m.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5547
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Beard wrote:I can't speak for Beaver but...

Manna itself isn't run down, though it's nothing special either. The strip mall that it is in, the boarded up buildings across the street and, really, the entire surrounding area, are pretty sketchy. That stretch of Sherman just isn't a place that I seek out.

I assumed he was referring to Manna itself, not the surrounding area.

It's an area that's currently undergoing a (somewhat dramatic) transformation. The old strip mall is certainly aged, but doesn't strike me as particularly run-down. The new mall containing Bear and Bottle may not be desirable to everyone, but (again) undoubtedly not run-down.

There have been several plans that didn't get traction for the old "antique mall", but there's another in the queue. There's been considerable resistance from some of the local residents who feel that Maple Bluff shouldn't be burdened with "high density" housing. But it shouldn't be long before we have a new apartment/condo/mixed use building there. Everything else to the west is residential. And not just any residential, but Maple Bluff residential. Hardly sketchy. There remain a few houses on Sherman that are creeping into disrepair, but most are quite presentable.

I understand that it's not exactly a destination spot for most people, but "run down"? I guess, coming from someone who avoids S Park St, it shouldn't have surprised me.

Beard
Forum Addict
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I guess what strikes me about that area is how much of a disconnect there is between it and Maple Bluff that's just through the block. By that standard, much of Sherman Ave. is "run down".

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Beaver wrote:I like Monty's but #1 seems high. I agree about Manna, good food in a run down place. Also agree with Daisy. It's mediocre and the parking lot is so small it seems like they mainly want people who walk or bike there.


As one of those people who walk to Daisy (even though Monty's is closer) I'll have to partially disagree with you. Some of Daisy's breakfast offerings are as over-salted and indigestible (to me) as most of Monty's, but I am a big fan of their "Pick 3" breakfast option and their multigrain pancakes, which are pretty much what I would make if I weren't too lazy to make pancakes at home anymore. And I like Daisy's atmosphere a little better if I can get there when there's no wait -- Monty's is uncomfortably clattery and loud, at least on the weekends which is when I tend to have breakfast out.

The Curve should be higher -- their cook is a genius with eggs and hash browns! Haven't even tried the rest of the menu. And that's a place I do go on weekdays; always assumed weekends would be impossible there.

Dobhan does a nice weekend brunch, by the way.

Is parking at Daisy really that much more difficult than at Monty's or Lazy Jane's? Or The Curve, Madison Sourdough or Ogden's, for that matter.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beaver » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 am

Yes Monty's parking is small. I haven't been to the other places but I think they are all on the Isthmus so probably have tight parking.

Wino
Forum Addict
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:44 am

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Wino » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:
Beaver wrote:I like Monty's but #1 seems high. I agree about Manna, good food in a run down place. Also agree with Daisy. It's mediocre and the parking lot is so small it seems like they mainly want people who walk or bike there.


As one of those people who walk to Daisy (even though Monty's is closer) I'll have to partially disagree with you. Some of Daisy's breakfast offerings are as over-salted and indigestible (to me) as most of Monty's, but I am a big fan of their "Pick 3" breakfast option and their multigrain pancakes, which are pretty much what I would make if I weren't too lazy to make pancakes at home anymore. And I like Daisy's atmosphere a little better if I can get there when there's no wait -- Monty's is uncomfortably clattery and loud, at least on the weekends which is when I tend to have breakfast out.

The Curve should be higher -- their cook is a genius with eggs and hash browns! Haven't even tried the rest of the menu. And that's a place I do go on weekdays; always assumed weekends would be impossible there.

Dobhan does a nice weekend brunch, by the way.

Is parking at Daisy really that much more difficult than at Monty's or Lazy Jane's? Or The Curve, Madison Sourdough or Ogden's, for that matter.


There's room for 10-12 cars in Daisy's lot with additional parking on Atwood or Elmside. We've never had a problem.

I don't get the over-salted comment. Only once in Madison have I had a meal out which I considered to have too much salt. More often things are served under-seasoned. Perhaps I like salt more than Zoti does.

The Curve is great, usually go Saturday mornings. The special corned beef hash they make most Saturdays is good. It's a garlicky bastard so you'll be tasting it the rest of the day. Best bet is to go early as in 7 a.m. They open at 6 but fills up with old-timey regulars. By 7 they have cleared out and service is quicker. Back in my younger days we used to roll in late-morning, hung over and stoned. It was a thrash that time of day.

Props to Crema, the weekend specials are interesting, good coffee. Lots of families with kids go there so it can get boisterous. Tables along the back wall by the kitchen are a good refuge.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Favorite breakfast spots

Postby Beaver » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I would add Gus's diner in Sun Prairie and Verona.



Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests