Sonic Drive-in Closed?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Sonic Drive-in Closed?

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:25 am

The websites says "temporarily" but the site has a "For Sale/Lease" sign out front and the lawn hasn't been mowed.

https://locations.sonicdrivein.com/wi/middleton.html

What happened? When that place opened up it was so busy that the adjacent neighborhood was complaining that cars were backed up onto the back streets.

They sure don't appear to have scaled back on their national advertising.

The Gotch

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sonic Drive-in Closed?

Postby Beaver » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 am

Closed months ago. Lots of places are busy when they first open but slows down when novelty wears off and people realize the food is bad. Look at Hurts donuts. Used to have long lines now it's like a ghost town. Still haven't figured out why Quaker steak and lube is still open.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 am

A drive-in only fast food restaurant in Wisconsin won't do a lot of business in winter.

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Beaver wrote:Still haven't figured out why Quaker steak and lube is still open.

I suspect it has to do with the motorcycle meetups they have in the summer. Their parking lot, the surrounding parking lots, and the street are packed.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Is Quaker Steak & Lube closing? Point Burger Bar set to go in
Brian Ward, who owns Point Burger Bar, said he anticipates opening in early August after an extensive remodeling job on what is currently Quaker Steak & Lube, 2259 Deming Way in Middleton.

Ward said that restaurant is closing Sunday, but an employee at Quaker Steak & Lube couldn't confirm that. "There's been a lot of rumors. We haven't been officially told anything by management yet."

Inform the employees? Nah, no rush.
What did they ever do for the company, anyway?

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 am

Quaker Steak has also closed it's Janesville location still leaving a pantload of fast and slow food chain joints on J'burg's north end.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:25 am

I always meant to try out Sonic. When they first opened many folks told me it was good. These folks, by the way, were boomers. I think it was more the nostalgia of a drive-in with car hops. One of my first memories as a kid was sitting in the back seat of our 1953 Ford, eating French Fries at The Barrel. There were several of these places around my hometown in the 50s to early 70s. They were not fast food, however, like McDonald's, which would gradually displace the car hop places. These places made pretty good food for the 50s and 60s. They were actually very busy during the winters back then, with teenagers hanging out/making out, especially on the weekends after sports events. I grew up to become one, though I tended to just buy shakes there and get my hamberger at the much cheaper McDonald's. Oh, I did very little making out. Yeah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be, and I never got around to Sonic.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Where Dave's Famous BBQ is located on Park St. there used to be an A&W (later Andy's) with car hops on roller skates. It was something straight out of American Graffiti.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Donald wrote:I always meant to try out Sonic. When they first opened many folks told me it was good. These folks, by the way, were boomers.

We went there - the ice cream treats and stuff were fine, but the food was just meh to me. When I grew up we had an A&W with car hops, as well as two locally owned places with them. This was in the 60's though, so they weren't really the teen destination from what I recall.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 am

This article about drive-in restaurants says that the Sonic in Middleton is "temporarily" closed, but the reporter may be relying on the same sign already mentioned.

The article mentions a couple drive-ins still open here in WI, but neglects to bring up Mullins in Columbus. Gotta say that the shakes are excellent there.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 pm

What - no Milty Wilty love?

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”