Cowboy Jack's

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Cowboy Jack's

Postby Shorty » Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 am

Lots of meat choices and some pizza, mostly. Bison burgers may be the only reason I will go there.

Minneapolis chain restaurant moving into old Sprecher's location
http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 3BEF2C94B1

"He said the restaurant will have a "modern ancient country look" and will be "quite different" from the country-Western themed Red Rock Saloon and restaurant Downtown, which opened in 2014. Singh calls the menu "pretty versatile," with appetizers, salads, burgers, wraps, pizza and steak.

Music won't be a focus like it was at Fitchburg's country-themed Dry Bean, which closed in 2011. Cowboy Jack's will have live music on a dedicated evening, possibly Thursdays, or for Sunday brunch, Singh said."

https://theaftermidnightgroup.com/wp-co ... n-ToGo.pdf
Last edited by Shorty on Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beard
Forum Addict

Re: Cowboy Jack's

Postby Beard » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

I'm picturing something very much like Quaker Steak & Lube but with cowboy flair. :sick:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

What does "modern ancient" mean? Is that akin the faux real?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am

Like "fake news"?

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed May 23, 2018 2:26 pm

More like "authentic imitation."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Or "first-rate crap".

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I think the west side's going to be a good fit for this one. Either that or it'll die in six months.

I'd like to know what the folks at Great Dane are thinking. Are they going damn we shoulda moved sooner or are they laughing.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

I don't understand the Great Dane connection. They won't be near an existing Dane location, and at least on the surface aren't really direct competition. What am I missing?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 pm

To me, that looks like a Great Dane with slightly different furniture and wagon wheel lamps. So either the Dane should have been there first, or they knew enough not to try.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 am

Cadfael wrote:To me, that looks like a Great Dane with slightly different furniture and wagon wheel lamps. So either the Dane should have been there first, or they knew enough not to try.

Maybe to you, but to me that looks nothing like the Dane. Great Dane interior design is English pub with a very light touch of steampunk/industrial. It is, however, a room in which beer and food are served, with a bar -- which is I admit a pretty strong resemblance.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 am

thebookpolice wrote:
Cadfael wrote:To me, that looks like a Great Dane with slightly different furniture and wagon wheel lamps. So either the Dane should have been there first, or they knew enough not to try.

Maybe to you, but to me that looks nothing like the Dane. Great Dane interior design is English pub with a very light touch of steampunk/industrial. It is, however, a room in which beer and food are served, with a bar -- which is I admit a pretty strong resemblance.

Both interiors are basically just a lot of wood, a bar or three, tables, booths, gaming machines, big screen TVs here and there, and room for standing with a theme in one direction or other. Yes, the themes are quite different but it wouldn't be difficult at all to make either one look exactly like the other. Monk's and several other places are in the same niche. There must be a name for that kind of place but I don't know it.

So why didn't the Dane jump in there already? We won't know for at least six months or so but my guess is they didn't think it would generate enough revenue.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 am

There's one in Uptown Minneapolis. Very theme-parky.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Cadfael wrote:
thebookpolice wrote:

Both interiors are basically just a lot of wood, a bar or three, tables, booths, gaming machines, big screen TVs here and there, and room for standing with a theme in one direction or other. Yes, the themes are quite different but it wouldn't be difficult at all to make either one look exactly like the other. Monk's and several other places are in the same niche. There must be a name for that kind of place but I don't know it.

So why didn't the Dane jump in there already? We won't know for at least six months or so but my guess is they didn't think it would generate enough revenue.

I don't know if this is the answer in this case, but there was a fairly controversial state law enacted about a half dozen years ago that limits the number of places that businesses like Great Dane are allowed to open. So if they can still legally expand to other locations (I think the limit is six), they need to choose very carefully.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Cadfael wrote:Both interiors are basically just a lot of wood, a bar or three, tables, booths, gaming machines, big screen TVs here and there, and room for standing with a theme in one direction or other.

I think the resemblance is structural. If you posted that picture and said it was a remodeled downtown Dane, I'd buy it at first glance.

Imagine standing at the end of the bar at the Dane, with the Main St windows/entrance behind you. Bar is roughly the right size/shape, natural light's coming from the right direction, high ceilings, square wooden columns, old wood floor... maybe that's what made it seem Dane-ish to you?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:Imagine standing at the end of the bar at the Dane, with the Main St windows/entrance behind you. Bar is roughly the right size/shape, natural light's coming from the right direction, high ceilings, square wooden columns, old wood floor... maybe that's what made it seem Dane-ish to you?

Dane-ish, or Monk-ish, or several other places that share the same characteristics that a large demographic across the country seem to find comfortable.

The Dane is the one I think of when I see them so it naturally came to mind. Garg's point about how many places they're allowed to open in one area makes sense. They'd have to be a little more careful than whoever pushed the button on a Cowboy bar on the west side.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”