Lake Edge Seafood Company

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lake Edge Seafood Company

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Beard wrote:Over the weekend there was a man in a shark costume waving a sign at cars by the intersection in front of the restaurant.

Sign wavers are tacky and reek of desperation. They've never succeeded in getting me to patronize a business and usually have the opposite outcome. Had I seen this prior to my visit last week I likely would not have gone.

If the Lake Edge Seafood Company is going for a more classy vibe (and with their prices, I assume that they are) a guy in a Halloween Express plush shark suit harassing people at stop lights doesn't seem to be the best approach.

Can anyone think of a sign waver that was advertising something worthwhile? If so, please share.

When I think of what sign wavers are usually advertising the list is short...

sketchy electronics sales at convention centers
fly by night tax preparation services
going out of business sales
cheap pizza chains

Also: those quickie oil change places.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Beard wrote:
Wino wrote:I've purchased their shrimp and scallops, both were of impeccable quality. IMO their scallops are the best you can get currently in Madison.

Haven't tried any of their fish yet.

That's good to hear, I love scallops.

Bought eight scallops last week. About one pound, thirty bucks. They were indeed impeccable. Best scallops we've found around here both for size and taste. We'll do that again. The rest of the fish in the case looked top notch too.

Also bought the calamari appetizer and it was pretty good but at thirteen bucks we'll probably skip it next time. It's a good fish shop and an overpriced restaurant.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Cadfael wrote:
Beard wrote:
Wino wrote:I've purchased their shrimp and scallops, both were of impeccable quality. IMO their scallops are the best you can get currently in Madison.

Haven't tried any of their fish yet.

That's good to hear, I love scallops.

Bought eight scallops last week. About one pound, thirty bucks. They were indeed impeccable. Best scallops we've found around here both for size and taste. We'll do that again. The rest of the fish in the case looked top notch too.

Also bought the calamari appetizer and it was pretty good but at thirteen bucks we'll probably skip it next time. It's a good fish shop and an overpriced restaurant.

Were the muscles intact on them? Last place I bought killer fresh scallops in Madison was the old Ken Kopps on Monroe. Everything else has been frozen/thawed. They would also get live soft shell crabs on occasion during molting season:)

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

david cohen wrote:
Cadfael wrote:
Beard wrote:That's good to hear, I love scallops.

Were the muscles intact on them? Last place I bought killer fresh scallops in Madison was the old Ken Kopps on Monroe. Everything else has been frozen/thawed. They would also get live soft shell crabs on occasion during molting season:)

I wouldn't be surprised if these had been frozen but no, there were no muscles on any of them.

They were huge too. He asked if I wanted the biggest ones and I said yes but they all looked about the same. Eight was a pound.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:22 am

Cadfael wrote:
david cohen wrote:
Cadfael wrote:Bought eight scallops last week. About one pound, thirty bucks. They were indeed impeccable. Best scallops we've found around here both for size and taste. We'll do that again. The rest of the fish in the case looked top notch too.

I wouldn't be surprised if these had been frozen but no, there were no muscles on any of them.

They were huge too. He asked if I wanted the biggest ones and I said yes but they all looked about the same. Eight was a pound.

None of the ones I've bought there have had the little side muscle. They told me their scallops have never been frozen and I believe it judging by the quality.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I'll have to swing by and grab a pound. If they are, in fact, fresh, they'll make for great sashimi:) Thanks!

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am

Lake Edge Seafood is expensive, but honest
http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 3BEF2C94B1

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Beaver wrote:Lake Edge Seafood is expensive, but honest
http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 3BEF2C94B1

That's more favorable than the Isthmus review in which almost every menu item mentioned was criticized in some way.

I just took a quick browse through Yelp reviews and it's a mixed bag of gushing and critical. The positive reviews are mostly short and read along the lines of, "Great food! Great service! Delicious!". The negative reviews seem more well thought out (or maybe complainers are just more long winded) and focus largely on the high prices.

The common theme is that the place is simply charging too much for the quantity, and in many cases quality, of the food it is selling.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm

I've been there twice for "restaurant food" and once for fish from the case. I think the reviews are pretty fair. The food and service is good, almost very good, and the prices are steep. But I have little doubt they are charging what they need to charge to keep the venture alive.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm

I am a sucker for good scallops. I needed a one person meal tonight so I stopped in. Dude asked if I wanted the biggest ones. Well, yeah. 3 of them. On the scale at .55 lbs. I said perfect. I don't need no stinking potato. Just some peas and 3 perfectly broiled scallops. A little butter, salt and pepper. Might be the best scallops I've ever had. And I've had a lot of scallops. No, not might be, they are. I will be back for those.

I will take family members for sit down food, though I prefer my fish fry breaded, not battered. Also, dude mentioned that they are starting to get halibut cheeks. Bering Sea fish crack. Guess they sold out immediately today.

I've bought scallops from the Seafood Center that were probably $5-6 per pound cheaper. I will pay the extra for Lake Edge. I hope they make a go of it. I will shop there as often as I can. But I can only afford those scallops about once a month. OK, maybe once a week. They are amazing.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm

We bought scallops from here tonight. Holy Mother of God. Awesome. A++. We will definitely be back for more.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”