Stop sucking

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stop sucking

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 pm

p t barnum's common-law wife/concubine xaviera told the new york world: "there is a sucker born every minute" all the way back in 1886, so it is not a new phenomenon . . .

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 am

Cadfael wrote:Why do we use straws?

A couple of the greasy spoon diners I visit don't always do a great job of washing the edges of their glasses...especially noticable when they are using plastic ones from the 1970's. Not having to actually touch it with my lips makes it less icky.

Also, there are times when I let my mustache get long...really long. Like, below my lower lip and touching my chin long. Straws are kinda handy in that situation.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 am

penquin wrote:Also, there are times when I let my mustache get long...really long. Like, below my lower lip and touching my chin long.

Were youuuu.... in a coma?

And all alone?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm

people who have medicaments (snuff, c-jam, h, powdered morphine, mashed-up dilaudid tablets) which need to be snuffed up the nose really should either be using a spoon (several airlines provide a tea spoon as part of their swag bags which does nicely, otherwise u can get them online or from a with-it jeweler, in everything from stainless steel to gold to titanium to hafnium) or carry your own mirror with u and use a rolled up banknote preferably new and keep it . . . u never know when the proprietor of your favourite eatery or bar will coat the back of the toilet, the counters, and the top of the towel dispensers with w d -40, which according to reports, is taken up by most powders and hurts like a son of a bitch when u get it up there . . . u shouldn't really be availing yourself of those surfaces anyways -- u want to get syphilis?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stop shaving

Postby penquin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 am

narcoleptish wrote:Were youuuu.... in a coma?

And all alone?

Heh. This latest long growth was 'cause I wanted to see how long the 'stache could go before I had to trim it...made it 11 months before she asked me to please do something about it.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Just Stop

Postby Bland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

penquin wrote:I wanted to see how long the 'stache could go before I had to trim it...made it 11 months before she asked me to please do something about it.

Your mustache is female?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lowest legal price/Stop sucking

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 am

i've seen a device in the vestibule of a lot of establishments which is an alcohol measurement device built around an infrared spectrometry apparatus into which one puts a straw into and blows, then the mg/dl calculated blood alcohol concentration comes up (it can be changed with a dip switch on the back to calculated blood alcohol per cent, calculated blood alcohol per mille, breath alcohol parts per million, ethanol moles per litre of expired air and so on) and there are some other tweaks too like the brightness of the readout with a potentiometre on the back (not to hurt people's eye when they are blasted?) and the local legal limit is input at setup -- the readout also changes from green to yellow to orange to red based on the result and it can be made to make a little noise and flash too . . . they can be fit with an attachment to take coins and the like . . .

i have seen that it becomes the favourite video game in the place, it seems, epecially in places with absolute sobriety or limits like 50 mg/dl where also close to 100 per cent of the patrons got there on foot or by public transit . . .

but i don't think i have ever seen a device like that set up in wisconsin, minnesota, or iowa . . . illinois either -- is there a law about that? they would be an even greater help with the percentage of people who drive to bars & restaurants . . . . there are personal ones which also show the time, date, concentration delta, and can store 100 or more readings for up to six people i i r c . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm

There might be a concern about liability. For example the machine isn't properly calibrated and leads me to believe I can legally drive. But it's wrong and I'm hammered and run a school bus load of kids into a ditch.
Awkward.....

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm

anybody have any methods they have used to attempt to cheat drunk-o-metres?

y m m v big time because they have ones that work on colourimetry, usually of a chromium salt mixture, capacitance, infrared spectrometry, other chromatagraphic methods, and i am sure they could miniturise a mass spectrometre to make a drunk-o-metre, and other methods have been tried and used . . .

i assume that trying to fool a test in a drink driving situation could get one sent to a federal pound-me-in-the-arse prison . . .

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 pm

gargantua wrote:There might be a concern about liability. For example the machine isn't properly calibrated and leads me to believe I can legally drive. But it's wrong and I'm hammered and run a school bus load of kids into a ditch.
Awkward.....

Yep, the ones you can buy on Amazon for parlor games are almost always way off due to their reliance on semiconductor sensors, and even the crazy expensive portable ones that police have are known to have calibration issues (which is why if you get arrested on suspicion of OWI, your breathalyzer readout in the final arrest report / court document will be from the stand-alone unit at the police station which is checked by the state crime lab or some shit like that, as opposed to from the PBT).

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 pm

gozer wrote:anybody have any methods they have used to attempt to cheat drunk-o-metres?

Your post left me wondering if you'd sent it from the side of the road, waiting for the cop to come back after he took your driver's license to his patrol car to run your number.

So what happened?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:
gozer wrote:anybody have any methods they have used to attempt to cheat drunk-o-metres?

Your post left me wondering if you'd sent it from the side of the road, waiting for the cop to come back after he took your driver's license to his patrol car to run your number.

So what happened?

not me -- my liver is so busy with other things that if i had a glass and a half of wine i would be feeling the hangover inside of 10 minutes . . . i was actually inspired by a story i heard about someone trying to fool the scale at weight watchers . . . something i would think would be hard to do in a concealable and/or smooth way until contrabaric (anti-gravity) technology is developed*, and u could carry a little device in your pocket that cancels out some percentage of the local gravitational field . . .

---
* if indeed it could be done -- don't scientists who try usually end up sleeping with the fishes?

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”