Compadre's in Middleton

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Compadre's in Middleton

Postby Shorty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Mexican place in Middleton recently opened. Looks good. Next to Takara, across from Post Office.

1900 Cayuga St.
Middleton, Wisconsin
Call (608) 203-8332

"Welcome to the Facebook page of Compadres Mexican Restaurant. Our vision is to provide our customers with a unique Mexican cuisine and cultural experience. We provide excellent customer service that is inspired by our hospitable culture.

Compadres Mexican Restaurant was founded by the Compadres González, we were eager to bring the best Mexican food to the Madison and Middleton area. We will serve you authentic and delicious food that has a connection to our roots. In each dish you will find traits of our Mexican culture and traditions, especially from the State of Querétaro.

We came to the United States in search of a brighter future for our family. This experience has brought us closer together. Family unity is a value that our parents inculcated to us at an early age. Compadres Mexican Restaurant represents: unity, perseverance, hard work and effort. This restaurant is our dream and we want to share it with you."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Compadre's in Middleton

Postby Shorty » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Menu has refried beans with most meals, which are bad for you. You can request pinto beans instead. They don't have black beans, which probably makes them the only Mex place in the world without black beans.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 am

I liked it. Everything was fresh and tasty.

The seating arrangement is a little weird but so what.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm

The seating is weird but the food is good. Not crazy, but good. Much like every favorite hole in the wall place the owners seem way cool and busting butt.

Decent flavors, even heat. The burrito is close; I need to try it again. Mole hits the spot but goes no further. Get a buddy and get the Parrillada ftw.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 am

Shorty wrote:Menu has refried beans with most meals, which are bad for you. You can request pinto beans instead. They don't have black beans, which probably makes them the only Mex place in the world without black beans.

Bad for you, how? They are boiled pintos with some oil or lard and spices most likely kept hot on a steam table until dished up. Anecdotally, I've not been to a Mexican place ever that had black beans on the menu. Doesn't mean they don't exist just that I would have ordered them if they had been there. Admittedly, I haven't been to Mexico but had a housemate who was a Texas Mexican who never used them.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 am

I heard refried beans are bad. Google says it depends on how much and what type fat is used in them, and how much salt:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/32929 ... s-healthy/

"Refried beans can be a healthy food or an unhealthy food -- preparation makes all the difference. Refried beans prepared with animal fat can be high in cholesterol and saturated fat, while beans fried with a small amount of olive or canola oil can be relatively low in fat and cholesterol free. When they’re cooked with nutritious ingredients and little or no added salt, refried beans are a healthy way to add protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates to your meals."

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered ... thy-or-not

"Saturated fats, such as the ones often found in animal fats, may raise LDL cholesterol levels and increase the risk of certain cancers."

You've never seen black beans on a Mexican menu? You must not eat out much.

http://textubbstacos.com/menus/
Crispy Taco
Crisp corn tortilla shell filled with lettuce, Jack cheese, and pico de gallo with your choice of spicy ground beef or black beans.

https://pasqualscantina.com/images/uplo ... b_Menu.pdf
Shredded beef, slow-cooked chicken, pork carnitas, chorizo, garden veggies, pinto bean mash or black beans.

https://www.allmenus.com/wi/madison/261 ... tiza/menu/
Frijoles Vegetarianos $1.79 Black beans cooked with epazote leaves. Vegetarian.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:
Shorty wrote:Menu has refried beans with most meals, which are bad for you. You can request pinto beans instead. They don't have black beans, which probably makes them the only Mex place in the world without black beans.

Bad for you, how? They are boiled pintos with some oil or lard and spices most likely kept hot on a steam table until dished up. Anecdotally, I've not been to a Mexican place ever that had black beans on the menu.

Doesn't Pasqual's offer a choice of black beans or a "pinto bean mash?"

Not that I'm suggesting anyone should ever go to Pasqual's...

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:52 pm

timby wrote:
chainsawcurtis wrote:

Bad for you, how? They are boiled pintos with some oil or lard and spices most likely kept hot on a steam table until dished up. Anecdotally, I've not been to a Mexican place ever that had black beans on the menu.

Doesn't Pasqual's offer a choice of black beans or a "pinto bean mash?"

Not that I'm suggesting anyone should ever go to Pasqual's...

Semi-related question...

Did Pasqual's used to be a good restaurant? I remember people liking it when it was on Monroe St.

I've eaten at the Hilldale location twice and thought it was awful each time.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Beard wrote:Did Pasqual's used to be a good restaurant? I remember people liking it when it was on Monroe St.

I've eaten at the Hilldale location twice and thought it was awful each time.

Short answer: yes.

A gazillion years ago I was a line cook at Pasqual's - mostly at the Atwood location (where Lao Laan Xang is now), but some at Monroe Street as well. Back then, Pasqual's was probably the best tex-mex restaurant in town; not particularly authentic, obviously, but reasonably high in quality and value.

My sense is that they massively over-expanded; they had a storefront in the Twin Cities at least, and I think they even opened one in Rochester, MN. Also, I'm pretty sure that the couple who originally started it split up.

In the subsequent retrenching the cohesiveness of the menu drifted out of focus, and the quality dropped precipitously. Now it's really pretty awful.

I'll still get the occasional double-guacamole chorizo taco out of nostalgia. But if I'm at Hilldale I'm probably heading to the Dumpling Haus.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 pm

I've spent over forty years working in restaurants, taverns with food, nightclubs et al. I've never made enough money to splurge going out often but over the years I have hit more than a few Mexican restaurants. I love black beans and use them at home in soups and chili. What I'm saying is that if I'd seen them on the menu I would have ordered them.

I'm looking at a can of Kuner's "refried" beans right now whose ingredients say "cooked pinto beans, water, green chiles, soybean oil, onion powder, salt, spices and garlic powder. It's hard to believe this could be termed unhealthy. It's got too much salt for my taste but we don't use them all the time as I usually cook my own beans. Total carb grams for the whole can is less than a baked potato and they have lots of fiber. YMMV.

If you're looking for a laid back Mexican joint - El Rio in Stoughton. They have a FB page. Nice folks, good food and servers. I didn't notice black beans, though.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm

There is nothing like a guacamolier
At Compadres, the tableside treat is the latest permutation of Madison’s taco craze
BY CANDICE WAGENER MARCH 8, 2018
http://isthmus.com/food-drink/reviews/c ... with-its-/

"Open since June, Compadres is in a quiet corner of downtown Middleton, in the same development that houses Takara 88. Compadres (Spanish for “friends”) lives up to its name with amicable service. It’s truly a family affair, run by Manuel González and his family. There was a decent crowd every time I ate there, bigger on weekends...

Perhaps not too shockingly, every time I visited I ended the meal too full to even think about dessert. I am overjoyed to see a family-run and family-friendly restaurant thriving in the heart of downtown Middleton. I think it will stay a good fit with downtown Middleton — even as the city continues to grow and transform.

Compadres Mexican Restaurant
1900 Cayuga Street, Middleton; 608-203-8332;
compadresmexicanrestaurantwi.business.site;
11 am-10 pm daily; $2-$15; one $38 dinner for two"

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Ms Vilas and I finally dined at Compadre's a couple weeks back. We had our usual, chiles rellenos and pollo con mole (I had it enchiladas style). And two big house margaritas, on the rocks with salt, as some pagan god intended.

We'll be back.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm

I've been there a handful of times. First time I didn't like it. I had the Enchiladas and mole and was unimpressed(sorry Henry). There are much better ones around town. Other times had the fajitas and Compadres Special and those made me go back. Overall pretty good, but not the best in town for Mexican. Glorias on Junction is my new favorite with Los Gemelos in a dead heat. YMMV.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”