Cold week coming

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Cold week coming

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Everyone's favorite weather caster Frankie MacDonald says be prepared for bitter cold weather this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5115sUKdHY&app=desktop

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cold week coming

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:45 pm

In January no less. Who could have seen that coming?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:28 pm

I chuckle at the folks I see shopping for mass quantities of toilet paper!

Boy Scout motto: Get Ready

Girl Scout motto: Be Prepared

Fleece wear
Brandy
Food

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:26 am

Jeez. A couple months of twenties and thirties, a week of single digits with one whole day below zero, and back up to the twenties and thirties.

So much for global warming!

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:11 am

Had to look this morning to see if it was really frigid cold, or just me.

Yep colder than a witches tit on the shady side of an iceberg during a blizzard.

Minus 8 according to WKOW with wind chills to minus 28 :cry: Heat running nearly constant.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:50 am

Anyone know how to fix a gas fireplace? We filled up the LP tank for one we have in our living room but the pilot won't stay lit in the on position. Thermo coupler or something. Quoted $550 by the local opportunistic price gouging guys. Told it's a $20 part.
Anyways that thing REALLY ties the room together on days like today.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:41 am

Any time the repair job involves a coupling that has the ability to slowly leak natural gas into the local environment, I've always gone with the price gougers. I hate it, but I would hate a gas-air explosion even more.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:02 am

I got a $100 electric blanket last winter that changed my life.

The online reviews on those suckers are mixed, but I found that if you secure the connections with electrical tape, the blanket works flawlessly.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 am

fisticuffs wrote:Thermo coupler or something. Quoted $550 by the local opportunistic price gouging guys. Told it's a $20 part.

If you know what part you need, then go buy it yourself and pay a plumber $100 to come over and put it in.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 am

http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2012/1 ... rmocouple/

Here is a link that explains what the thermocouple does. I replaced one years ago by myself, but it was a much simpler heater without today's electronics. Once you view the video about 2/3 of the way down the page you can decide if you're up to the task or would be better off getting help.

I wouldn't go out and buy the part until you know if it's really defective. Sometimes all they need is to clean out some dirt that accumulated is the lines or where the flame appears. However, thermocouples do wear out and break because they're exposed to heat, so if your guy suggests it's time to put in a new one don't automatically assume he is ripping you off.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:58 am

snoqueen wrote:http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2012/10/diy-gas-fireplace-wont-light-how-to-clean-your-thermopile-and-thermocouple/

Here is a link that explains what the thermocouple does. I replaced one years ago by myself, but it was a much simpler heater without today's electronics. Once you view the video about 2/3 of the way down the page you can decide if you're up to the task or would be better off getting help.

I wouldn't go out and buy the part until you know if it's really defective. Sometimes all they need is to clean out some dirt that accumulated is the lines or where the flame appears. However, thermocouples do wear out and break because they're exposed to heat, so if your guy suggests it's time to put in a new one don't automatically assume he is ripping you off.

they wanted to replace half the fireplace. They didn't seem to know what they were talking about but any and all advice in person or on the web has said thermo coupler. Another issue is that it's Dovre brand and I guess it's barely available in the US....
Tempted to switch it to natural gas like the rest of the house and just get a new fireplace.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:08 am

Bwis53 wrote:I chuckle at the folks I see shopping for mass quantities of toilet paper!

Boy Scout motto: Get Ready

Girl Scout motto: Be Prepared

Fleece wear
Brandy
Food

Be Prepared is the Boy Scout motto!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 am

Oops! (I keep seeing that old poster of a pregnant girl scout in my mind. That's right, the Boy Scouts need to be prepared and the Girl Scouts need to get ready.) :wink:

I miss that long window of the old poster shop.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Sandi wrote:Yep colder than a witches tit on the shady side of an iceberg during a blizzard.

Great analogy! I was thinking the same thing.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Okay, who remembers when the winter thing we complained about was how many days we'd been below zero?

Return to “Town Vibe”