WiFi

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
two7sclash

WiFi

Postby two7sclash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:28 pm

I know this has been discussed on this forum before, but things change.
I am moving to Madison next month. What is the fastest and/or cheapest WiFi service that covers all of downtown, and the Near-East side?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WiFi

Postby Beaver » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Your questions are rather confusing. Why do you need both downtown and East side? Will you be living at either of those places or is this for work? Are you looking for home wifi? Or public wifi to use downtown and East side?

Wifi is very local. It is only available where you have internet access and a wifi router. To "cover all of downtown, and the Near-East side" you would need to be near a wifi hotspot whenever you want to use wifi.

I have Charter at home and get 27 mbps download and 4 mbps upload. Is that fast enough? But it's only available to me at home where my wifi router is, not downtown and East side. Cheapest cost will depend on what package you choose.

There are places like AT&T that offer wifi hotspots in town. And Starbucks and cafes offer free wifi. Are those good enough? They won't cover "all of downtown and the East side", just inside their stores. Sounds like you need cellular 4G LTE coverage not wifi.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:11 pm

There used to be a city-wide wi-fi service called Mad City Broadband. The signals didn't reach inside buildings so I really didn't understand the point. My Verizon 4G pretty fast, but you will have a hefty bill if you try to stream video on it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:34 pm

LargeMarge wrote:There used to be a city-wide wi-fi service called Mad City Broadband. The signals didn't reach inside buildings so I really didn't understand the point. My Verizon 4G pretty fast, but you will have a hefty bill if you try to stream video on it.

That kind of stuff makes me wonder why I should get a pad or smart phone!

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
LargeMarge wrote:There used to be a city-wide wi-fi service called Mad City Broadband. The signals didn't reach inside buildings so I really didn't understand the point. My Verizon 4G pretty fast, but you will have a hefty bill if you try to stream video on it.

That kind of stuff makes me wonder why I should get a pad or smart phone!

You can watch a bunch of video on your phone or pad. You just don't wanna stream live stuff or 2 hour long movies unless you're around wifi. FWIW, there are a ton of places around town that offer free wifi so there is that.

I wouldn't want to look at my phone for that long anyway. I always get a kick out of commercials that show people watching movies on their phone. Really? Who does that?

two7sclash

Postby two7sclash » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Sorry for the ambiguity of my post. I used to use TWC at about $50 per month, and access wifi via iPad off of that. My present situation makes TWC inconvenient, and I am exploring different options.
Today I signed up for a 2 year Verizon contract (service + phone payments) with 10 Gigs Data. I set up the phone as a mobile Hotspot to tether iPad. Total monthly payments for first 2 years is $140. This seems kind off high. Also, after setting everything up and making my usual Internet rounds of 10, or so, web-sites, I noticed that I had consumed almost a Gig of data! Doing some internet research, I discovered that streaming a movie consumes about a Gig.
I have 14 days to back out of the deal if I choose to. In the mean time, it looks like I will not be the Youtube hog that I once was :(

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 pm

two7sclash wrote:Total monthly payments for first 2 years is $140.

I only pay $114 a month for charfter with 65mbs internet.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”