Ferguson, Missouri

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Ferguson, Missouri

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 pm

If there's one thing I learned in Afghanistan, it's this: You can't win a person's heart and mind when you are pointing a rifle at his or her chest.
The Militarization of the Police

At the same time as crime has fallen to its lowest levels in decades, police departments are acquiring more hardware and finding more reasons to use SWAT teams and other heavy-handed tactics, regardless of the situation. According to an American Civil Liberties Union report released this summer, 79 percent of SWAT deployments from 2011 to 2012 were for search warrants, a massive overreaction that can have disastrous consequences, including injury and death.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ferguson, Missouri

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:48 pm

They're targeting reporters now in Ferguson. Always a bad sign:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... ng_strip_2

If you click the link at the bottom to the reporters' Twitter feed, it seems like the chief of police had the two arrested reporters released after a third reporter informed him ( the chief) of what was going on. Draw your own conclusions as to whether these cops are people to whom we should be giving access to military gear.

Later edit:
The full story is published

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:They're targeting reporters now in Ferguson. Always a bad sign:

If you click the link at the bottom to the reporters' Twitter feed, it seems like the chief of police had the two arrested reporters released after a third reporter informed him ( the chief) of what was going on. Draw your own conclusions as to whether these cops are people to whom we should be giving access to military gear.

Sounds like the police were about to stage an operation out of the McDonald's and perceived the reporters (not unreasonably, or uncharacteristically) as a threat to operational security. In other words, the police had something planned and didn't want reporters saying anything about it before hand. That's probably pretty standard.

At which point barney fife and his buddies lost all (remaining) perspective and common sense apparently. Seems like an issue that wouldn't happen in a larger city with a more media savvy police departments.

Then again, a more media savvy police department would probably have picked up on the fact that the reporter was clearly dragging his feet in a hope of scoring a scoop, and "assisted him" in getting out of the building quicker.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
snoqueen wrote:They're targeting reporters now in Ferguson. Always a bad sign:

Sounds like the police were about to stage an operation out of the McDonald's and perceived the reporters (not unreasonably, or uncharacteristically) as a threat to operational security. In other words, the police had something planned and didn't want reporters saying anything about it before hand. That's probably pretty standard.

At which point barney fife and his buddies lost all (remaining) perspective and common sense apparently. Seems like an issue that wouldn't happen in a larger city with a more media savvy police departments.

Then again, a more media savvy police department would probably have picked up on the fact that the reporter was clearly dragging his feet in a hope of scoring a scoop, and "assisted him" in getting out of the building quicker.

I believe this happened when they murdered an unarmed child. But now that a journalist has been impacted - well, now it's news.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 am

This is a pretty good take on what is going on there http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/americ ... 1620169913
Just too many issues to mention, but to our pumped up police departments black kids are an obvious threat just because they exist.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:41 am

Perhaps the problem is that there are not enough guns in the hands of Ferguson's private citizens.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:44 am

rabble wrote:Perhaps the problem is that there are not enough guns in the hands of Ferguson's private citizens.

Ooh. Now there is a problem we as a culture are working hard to rectify. No downside, right? (Well, at least nothing that should limit our natural, god given constitutional rights)

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 am

It's got me puzzled. Where are all the armed, camouflaged paramilitary groups that rallied for that rancher who wasn't paying his grazing fees?

What's the difference between that situation and this one? My poor little mind is drawing a blank.
Last edited by rabble on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 am

rabble wrote:What's the difference between that situation and this one?

The kid's right to bear arms wasn't being infringed upon

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:What's the difference between that situation and this one?

The kid's right to bear arms wasn't being infringed upon

And it's a different government branch! Those citizens groups only rally for rogue Bureau of Land Management agents. Standing up to rogue cops when you don't have a high vantage point and lots of cover is asking a little too much.

That has to be it.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 am

The governor is stepping in and taking the local yokels off the case.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-1 ... -clay.html

Its a step in the right direction, I think.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:57 am

The cops are being dicks:
“My hands are behind my back,” I said. “I’m not resisting. I’m not resisting.” At which point one officer said: “You’re resisting. Stop resisting.”

“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”

And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”

Hmm. Which one of those predictions turned out to be correct?

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 pm

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:43 pm

DCB wrote:The governor is stepping in and taking the local yokels off the case.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-1 ... -clay.html

Its a step in the right direction, I think.

Who is he putting in charge? FBI should handle investigations I would assume, but someone is going to need to do actual policing of the area.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

That picture of the blue-shirted kid with his hands up facing all the cops in combat gear with their guns drawn is going on the short list to win a Pulitzer, and it'll be remembered right along with the black and white photos of the civil rights marchers being attacked in Selma and Montgomery Alabama almost fifty years ago.

What an image.

Return to “National Politics & Government”