Lebron takes talents to Cleveland

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Lebron takes talents to Cleveland

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Come on, who's not happy about Lebron coming home? Finally, a rare break for fly-over state people.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lebron takes talents to Cleveland

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:33 am

If I cared, it would make me happy I suppose. The sports talk world has been all atwitter about this for weeks, so I got sick of it a long time ago. Now we can listen to them speculate endlessly about where Carmelo will take his talents.

Shoot me now.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Instead of South Beach and Gloria Estefan, he gets the North Shore and Michael Stanley...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6pDihUWU90

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:26 pm

I lost interest in NBA after the Bulls era. The league was a letdown after that.

I don't think too many people thought LJ would go back to Cleveland, it's pretty big news and a pleasant surprise.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:10 am

Huckleby wrote:I don't think too many people thought LJ would go back to Cleveland, it's pretty big news and a pleasant surprise.

He got his championship, and a lot of money. Now he just wants his home town to love him. How touching.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 am

Huckleby wrote:I lost interest in NBA after the Bulls era. The league was a letdown after that.

I agree, in part. I have no interest at all in regular season games, but I do pay some attention to the playoffs, because you''re much more likely to see teams play hard for the entire game.

Watching the Spurs carve up the Heat reminded me of what the Badgers did to Baylor.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:He got his championship, and a lot of money. Now he just wants his home town to love him. How touching.

This is an oddly cynical view. Yes, it is touching that he considered his old 'hood. The discussion leading up to the surprise was whether he would take the big money from New York, Los Angeles or Miami. He took a lesser contract to try and rebuild a 2nd tier franchise.

I'm not saying Lebron is a hero. He didn't find a cure for aids. But you also seem to think there is something unadmirable with him making a lot of money and winning championships in Miami. I don't get either of your harsh judgments.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:He got his championship, and a lot of money. Now he just wants his home town to love him. How touching.

This is an oddly cynical view. Yes, it is touching that he considered his old 'hood. The discussion leading up to the surprise was whether he would take the big money from New York, Los Angeles or Miami. He took a lesser contract to try and rebuild a 2nd tier franchise..

Not true. He signed a short-term deal at max value, timing the end of it to coincide with the new tv contract that is expected to create a big increase in the maximum amount a player can sign for.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:37 pm

O.J. wrote:Not true. He signed a short-term deal at max value, timing the end of it to coincide with the new tv contract that is expected to create a big increase in the maximum amount a player can sign for.

Sounds like an obvious step to sign short term deal, nothing wrong with that. Are you suggesting that Cleveland is his most lucrative option? That seems unlikely coincidence. Perhaps money was not much of a factor any which way.

I'm glad he chose Cleveland over his many other options. I just don't get the cynical view of this. Odd. Guess there is a lot of Lebron hatred out there.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Huck, he turned down 4/$88 from the Cavs to sign a shorter deal, which was purely a business decision on his part to take advantage of a larger deal that the new tv contract will assure. It was wrong to claim that he left the "big money"(are you aware that the NBA caps the maximum amount a player can make?) on the table in order to go back home.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 pm

O.J. wrote:Huck, he turned down 4/$88 from the Cavs to sign a shorter deal, which was purely a business decision on his part to take advantage of a larger deal that the new tv contract will assure.

yes, you already made that point. I suppose he would have taken a short deal from any team for same reason. Doesn't matter.

O.J. wrote:It was wrong to claim that he left the "big money"(are you aware that the NBA caps the maximum amount a player can make?) on the table in order to go back home.

I already accepted that the base salary might be comparable at any city, why are you pointing this out again?

Surely there are many other financial & competitive considerations, there is a reason why the best players routinely wind up in large markets in the major sports.

Point is he chose to go back home, I am glad he made that choice, it's good to see a major athlete go to a lesser franchise, hardly anybody predicted it. I don't get the cynicism.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am

Huckleby wrote: But you also seem to think there is something unadmirable with him making a lot of money and winning championships in Miami. I don't get either of your harsh judgments.

He is a gifted athlete who has parleyed that talent into a hell of a lot of money and a few championships. Not sure what you mean by unadmirable, but I don't particularly see any reason to admire him for leaving his home town to make more money playing for a better team. I don't despise him for it either, but given that he's already made more money then he should ever need and has multiple championships, I don't particularly find his deciding to go home now to the team he left all that touching.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: given that he's already made more money then he should ever need and has multiple championships, I don't particularly find his deciding to go home now to the team he left all that touching.

All established, major sport athletes have made more money than they will ever need.

The point is not that an athlete who returns to his hometown is heroic, although I give them some credit for not taking easier competitive path of moving to L.A. The large markets can attract talent easier, there is greater national exposure and endorsement opportunity for players.

The touching part is for the fans of the 2nd-tier franchise who usually get bypassed, a little bit of justice to cheer.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 pm

It certainly wasn't James' fault he never won a title in the seven(?) years he was in Cleveland and they probably won't win one now that he's back. The Cavs have won the freaking lottery 3 out of the last four years, I believe, and still suck. It's a badly run franchise. They are very lucky James is from Ohio. I think he's given up any chance of winning another championship unless Cleveland's inept front office can finally build a decent team around him.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Cleveland is one of the favorites to win the NBA title. They have a solid, young group of players led by Kyrie Irving. If they make Andrew Wiggins available, they can get Kevin Love from the TWolves. That would form the best Big Three in the league.

Huck, not sure if you've noticed, but the Lakers are a bit of a joke right now. The Clippers don't have room under the cap. Neither do the Knicks after they just signed Carmelo. Cleveland gives him a much better chance of a title this year.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”