VIP Asian

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

VIP Asian

Postby NullDevice » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Okay, the place looks like a strip club from the early 90's. Or possibly a backup set from "Cocktail."

I went with a few friends last week. We ordered off the chinese menu. And it was totally worth it.

Appetizers: "green bean curd with sichuan sauce." I'm not sure if green bean curd was some sort of konjac or mung bean concoction, but it was that slippery, gelatinous kind of vegetable gel that shows up occasionally. It was dipped in a garlicky, chili-oil and vinegar sauce. Tasty, and textural. Nothing fancy, dunno if I'd repeat it, but it was good.

"Pot stickers." - some of the best pot stickers I've had. Dunno if I just got lucky that night with them, but they weren't over-dough-y, the pork filling wasn't overcooked, and it wasn't overloaded with cabbage. Definite win.

Mains:
Sichuan Eggplant: good, and thankfully not overcooked into mush, as so often happens with eggplant dishes. I expected more along the lines of the sour-spicy eggplant I'm used to getting from sichuan places, and this was more of a garlic sauce kind of thing.

Stirfried green beans: pretty standard. Nicely garlicky, not too oily.

House special lamb: thinly sliced lamb with a number of different vegetables. A basic stir fry. Slightly oversalted. Somewhat forgettable.

Sliced duck with ginger: OH MY GOD YOU GUYS. YOU GUYS! Matchstick slices of a smoked duck (I think it was smoked - had a smoky flavor and a bit of star anise spicing to it) stir fried with ginger (although not quite as much as I expected), onions and bamboo shoots, in a clear sauce. The real winner of the night. Rich, very flavorful and complex, and memorable.

All that food, plus a couple of mojitos and a Sprite came to roughly $80. That is seriously not bad for a lot of food. We coulda ditched an appetizer and one of the mains and still had a hearty, satisfying meal.

So thumbs up for that place, despite the decor.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: VIP Asian

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm

NullDevice wrote:Sichuan Eggplant: good, and thankfully not overcooked into mush, as so often happens with eggplant dishes
I expect it does happen often, but have you ever had undercooked eggplant? It's a well known transmission vector for despair.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:14 am

I enjoyed your write-up NullDevice! I want to try the duck.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 pm

fennel wrote:
NullDevice wrote:Sichuan Eggplant: good, and thankfully not overcooked into mush, as so often happens with eggplant dishes
I expect it does happen often, but have you ever had undercooked eggplant? It's a well known transmission vector for despair.

I have made undercooked eggplant. It is...unpleasant.

On the flipside, overcooked eggplant is also a recipe for sadness. Flabby, flabby sadness.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:13 pm

NullDevice wrote:I have made undercooked eggplant. It is...unpleasant.

On the flipside, overcooked eggplant is also a recipe for sadness. Flabby, flabby sadness.

I like lots of vegetables, including some of the less popular items like broccoli, turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, and whatnot. But I'm pretty sure that under or over cooked eggplant would not taste any worse than perfectly cooked eggplant to me.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”