Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:03 am

Canada pulled the plug on the U.S. Keystone Pipeline and will send oil to Asia. Instead of purchasing nearly have our needs from our friends to the north at below the global rate, we will have to rely on hostile nations.

I'm sure this is what Obama wanted.

Claiming it could no longer abide the Obama administration's five-year refusal to approve construction of the Keystone XL pipeline designed to bring 830,000 barrels a day of much-needed Alberta shale oil to U.S. refineries, the Canadian government recently approved plans for a huge new pipeline and port project to ship that oil to Asia instead....

It was initially hoped that recent discoveries of massive new Canadian oil and gas reserves could benefit both Canada and the United States by building a safe and reliable pipeline to bring the oil to U.S. refineries in Louisiana and Texas. Building the proposed 1,179-mile Keystone pipeline promised, not just a huge new supply of reliable, clean, and affordable oil to U.S. markets, but the creation of up to 20,000 high-paying construction jobs. An additional 22,000 jobs economists predicted would have resulted from the broader economic stimulus the project would have generated.

Rather than purchasing crude from a friendly and allied neighbor, the United States will most likely need to continue its reliance upon hostile sources like Venezuela. Energy analysts had hoped that construction of Keystone could have replaced almost half of the current U.S. daily crude purchases from that volatile, anti-American dictatorship, depriving Venezuela of the resources it relies upon to stay in power and fund its Cuban allies.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:33 am

Just curious, are you happy or sad that Republicans gutted Jimmy Carter's policy of banning US oil companies from selling oil found in the US overseas?

Wondering if it bothers you that they also gutted Carter's policy that banned large US oil corporations from buying up smaller refineries and shutting them down, and also banned them from slowing production in their own refineries to create false prices spikes like they did when they created the 199 oil shortage?

Also wondering of it bothers you that Republicans have gutted alternative energy funding, while we give oil companies $53 billion a year in subsidies?

Does it bother you that Sarah Palin signed contracts with Asia and Japan to sell them US oil while local Alaskan companies went out of business due to lack of supply?

And never mind the $4 trillion ultimately wasted (total cost of the war) to secure the oil wells in Iraq which are nevertheless, not secure and likely never will be.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:55 am

@jonnygothispen

I don't have an opinion because I know nothing about it. Though at that time, I always voted a straight democrat ticket. I was a low information voter back then. Reagan was the first Republican I voted for, and paid more attention to politics thereafter.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22656
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 am

Sandi wrote:I don't have an opinion because I know nothing about it.

That certainly hasn't stopped you before.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:06 am

On cue, Sandi brings us some hard-hitting and not-at-all-biased journalism from Breitbart. The oil being pumped across the middle of our nation would not be "reliable, clean and affordable" and the only people who would benefit from the pipeline would be the refineries tasked with trying to turn it into something useful (an expensive process given the poor quality of the crude).

And the jobs created all relate to the building of the pipeline, so you're talking about a small initial boost (with many of those workers likely Canadians) after which we'd just sit around and wait for disaster to strike, like contamination of groundwater in agricultural states that already have water shortages.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your constant "I used to be a Democrat" proclamations are, but I would suggest that very few people believe you and even if they take you at your word, it has nothing to do with how consistently wrong you are about basically everything. Perhaps leaning on Breitbart for your news isn't giving you the knowledge you claim to crave.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:36 am

Sandi wrote:@jonnygothispen

I don't have an opinion because I know nothing about it. Though at that time, I always voted a straight democrat ticket. I was a low information voter back then. Reagan was the first Republican I voted for, and paid more attention to politics thereafter.
I actually saw Reagan speak in LaCrosse in 1980 with my 700 Club-watching aunt.He seemed very robotic and wooden. I couldn't understand what the hype was about.

You say you "were" a low information voter, but voted for Reagan...

So now that you're a high information voter you're fully aware that Reaganomics quintupled the debt from $902 billion in 1980 to $4.4 Trillion by G H W Bush's last fiscal year. And of Reagan's 13 tax hikes, and that he had a Republican majority in the Senate in 5 out of the 6 years he raised taxes that mostly affected low income working Americans. You're probably keen on how Reagan's deregulation of monopoly laws started shipping jobs overseas so we lost manufacturing jobs every year under Reagan. The first time that happened since they started keeping track. Possibly it was how Reagan's key wealth redistribution-to-the-top budget of 1981 freaked out Wall Street so we went into a double-dip recession after the economy had pulled out of it by the summer of 1981 that makes you like him? And I'm sure you're also hip to the fact that Reagan and G H W Bush sold Saddam Anthrax spores, botulism, West Nile Viruses, and VX nerve gases to fight the Ayatollah, who they also armed with thousands of Stinger missiles. Perhaps it was Reagan's support of dictators who murdered around 600,000 civilians in Central America (Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, & Honduras) while lying about a communist threat that never existed in reality that turned you on to the great fornicator (Reagan had over 20 sexual affairs, err... youthful indiscretions I mean, into his 40s) It'd be interesting to know what exactly you liked about his policies...

And, drumroll please... the 2 KEY reasons cited for the recovery in the 80s were Jimmy Carter's appointment of Paul Volcker, who Reagan kept until he retired in 1987, and Carter's energy policies that lowered demand and hence, lowered gas prices, which lowered the cost of living all around.

You can look all of that up, Sandi. I wouldn't want you to be a ow information voter again.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2634
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Donald » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:19 am

More b.s. from Sandi, which is what you can expect from a barely literate righty reading an on-line tabloid. The Breitbart article doesn't say anything about any decision to end the pursuit of the Keystone XL pipeline. This would be big news, if it was true, but, sadly, no credible news outlet has confirmed this story.

Significantly, Breitbart does confirm in this article that the Keystone XL, as well as the "alternative" pipeline is being proposed for the shipment of oil to Asia, and is not meant to provide the oil to the United States. Why do righties want to provide North American oil to our adversaries?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Ya know, it discussing anything with die-hard lefty progressives is like trying explain algebra to preschoolers.

Morons

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Sandi wrote:Ya know, it discussing anything with die-hard lefty progressives is like trying explain algebra to preschoolers.

Morons
Do you have a link for that? ... maybe something with charts?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2634
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Donald » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:14 pm

The Keystone XL pipeline does not have a state granted right to site a pipeline across Nebraska. Also, the authority granted by the PUC in South Dakota for Keystone XL is set to expire shortly. In the United States of America states have the authority over siting of pipeline routes in their states, and for regulation. So, the Obama administration is waiting for the states of Nebraska and South Dakota to sort out their siting and permitting issues before making a federal decision. To do so seems respectful of states rights, and to the concerns of people in these two states, as well as several tribes who also have concerns. This seems to me, and most of my conservative and tribal friends in these two states, to be the appropriate decision.

It was quite telling the the conservative Republican Party in South Dakota refused to take a position in support of the Keystone XL pipeline, even though they supported impeachment of the President. You have to understand that in the heartland, conservative agricultural interests and much of the Tea Party do not support the Keystone XL pipeline, seeing it as being foisted on the state by the crony capitalists in both the Republican and Democratic Parties.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:25 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:So now that you're a high information voter you're fully aware that Reaganomics quintupled the debt from $902 billion in 1980 to $4.4 Trillion by G H W Bush's last fiscal year.


It appears that you are, or were then, a low information voter.

Reagan didn't quintuple the debt anymore than Obama has increased the debt. Presidents cannot spend a dime: they can only ask congress. Only Congress can spend money, which democrats and republicans alike seem to be more than willing to do and ignore the debt.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Bland » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Sandi wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:So now that you're a high information voter you're fully aware that Reaganomics quintupled the debt from $902 billion in 1980 to $4.4 Trillion by G H W Bush's last fiscal year.


It appears that you are, or were then, a low information voter.

Reagan didn't quintuple the debt anymore than Obama has increased the debt. Presidents cannot spend a dime: they can only ask congress. Only Congress can spend money, which democrats and republicans alike seem to be more than willing to do and ignore the debt.

I logged in specifically looking for a Sandi chuckle and this thread is it! Thanks, darling! But you might want to read again because even though your adorable parsing is stupid and dumb and stupid too, jonny didn't claim Reagan quintupled the debt, he said that Reaganomics did. You do know the difference between a person and an economic theory, doncha? Course ya do.

Tomorrow we'll work on distinguishing vegetables from folk music. (It's harder than you think!)

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:15 pm

But you might want to read again because even though your adorable parsing is stupid and dumb and stupid too, jonny didn't claim Reagan quintupled the debt, he said that Reaganomics did. You do know the difference between a person and an economic theory, doncha? Course ya do.


And Reaganomics was turned down by Congress?? Oh I see, no, they accepted and funded it.

BTW any reason you have to look down your nose at me? No. Probably not, but I can be nice, or that way too. Dickhead. Your choice.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Bland » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Sandi wrote:And Reaganomics was turned down by Congress?? Oh I see, no, they accepted and funded it.
So cute! This is the part where you've just moved the goalpost in an effort to claim you were right in the first place, yet completely fail to see it! It's one of your best moves and we're all glad to see you pull it out on a Sunday afternoon.

Sandi wrote:BTW any reason you have to look down your nose at me?
Lessee...... the things you say, the stuff you believe, the crazy you peddle, the idiotic sources you cite, the way you accuse others of your own logical fallacies, the fact that no matter how many times you are proved wrong you still keep repeating the same nonsense..... oh sorry, you only wanted one reason......

Sandi wrote:I can be nice
I have no doubt of that. Heck, I'll bet you're even quite good at it. What you aren't as good at is getting facts straight and coming to reasonable conclusions based on those facts.

Sandi wrote:Your choice.
Oooo! I choose Hungry Hungry Hippos! (Mr. Mouth is an acceptable back up if you're short a few of your marbles.)

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Keystone Pipeline no longer an option

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Troll I am done with ya. On ignore with the rest of the assholes who are only here to bait and harass. ( which seem to be almost all the thought bankrupt progressives )


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests