New Occupy Madison Site

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
ttt3
Forum Addict

New Occupy Madison Site

Postby ttt3 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 pm

So it looks like the OM Folks got their building on East Johnson and have moved in: http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=43044

First, I think it's kind of a cool project as I think a lot of us wouldn't mind getting by with less.

That said, I have a couple of questions:

1.) The article indicates that OM "needs money". I'm curious what their long term financing plan is to continue to pay the mortgage/taxes on this property. Are they going to depend on private donations and tax breaks forever? They supposedly have $35k in the bank, but I'd imagine that will go quick with a number of "big ticket" renovations.

2.) Going along with #1, OM's website makes it clear the tenants of the 9 tiny houses will not pay rent when they stay there. Why not require residents pay rent to make this more sustainable? Recently a Capital Times story was done on Mr. Valiquette (a future resident), and in the comments section it was revealed that the gentleman did have a source of income (Social Security) that could presumably be used to pay rent.

I don't mean to troll here, it's just I visited OM's website and my questions weren't answered there.

ttt3
Forum Addict

Re: New Occupy Madison Site

Postby ttt3 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Really, no comments at all? I expected someone from OM to maybe answer my questions.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Occupy Madison Site

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 pm

ttt3 wrote:Really, no comments at all? I expected someone from OM to maybe answer my questions.

Why don't you try emailing them? Don't they have contact info on their website?

Return to “Headlines”