New music venue on East Wash

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

New music venue on East Wash

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43 am

I read a couple articles recently about plans by Frank Productions to build a large concert hall on the 1000 block of East Washington by next year. I hope the bricks from the old dairy can be reused. I see that they have yet to purchase the auto body shop in that block, so that might hinder development.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New music venue on East Wash

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 am

Ya know there is a West side to this town and last I checked it was pretty quiet as far as music venues. We already have lots of good options on the East side and on the Isthmus.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 am

Next on Discovery: VENUE WARS!!!

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:46 am

This proposal has been attracting some strong views on the neighborhood listserve -- many of them negative.

My only hope is this project happens, its planned and executed well, and draws more visitors to the neighborhood. So far the concerns raised opposing the venue revolve around drunks, traffic, and noise. If those concerns are addressed I think it would be an awesome addition to the neighborhood and Madison in general. I can't help but hope that people would be come to the 'hood for a show, go out to eat, check out a some bars, and patronize the local business district while they're there.

While I do understand the concerns about a large venue near residential areas, I hope folks might come around and look at this as an opportunity to show folks from out-of-town and from other areas of the city why we fell in love with the neighborhood -- good eats, good bars, cool shops, and great places to hangout.

Dan Motor's Guide to Tenney-Lapham for a big-ass rock show:
4pm- Roll into town
4:15- Park and walk down to Johnson Street Public house for a cup of joe and a snack
4:45 - Window Shopping through Burnies Rock Shop, Old Town Cycles, Good Style Shop, Iona, Upshift, and Spruce Tree.
6pm - Dinner at Forequarter
7pm - Cork'n'Bottle to pick up a bottle of that awesome wine/liqueur/bourbon you just had a Forequarter
7:30 - ROCK SHOW!!!!!
11pm - Strong-ass whiskey coke at the 'Bou
12pm - for the lucky ones who can afford it, a short walk to your bed and breakfast at The Livingston Inn or Mendota Lake House
12pm - for the rest of us, drinks till bartime and our designated driver/local cab company shuttles our asses home/to the hotel.

aaaand scene,

Dan Motor

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Back when I lived down there, maybe a decade ago, the city was holding all these committee meetings to envision what E. Wash could be like in maybe 2020. One of the presentations I remember had futuristic illustrations of the 900 block full of trees, curbside patios, and little robotic cartoon people walking around around getting ready to attend the theater.

I just laughed to myself and said yeah right, like anybody's going to build a theater in the old paint factory.

And now it really might happen, just a block further down.

The Constellation is what got the ball rolling, and if we don't have another economic crash maybe now other pieces will start to come together. The overall idea was to have E. Wash between Blair and First become a nice gateway to the downtown, not just a slow part of Hy. 151 on the way to Dubuque. The planners wanted to make it a destination in itself with places people could walk to and congregate in.

At Paterson St., the idea was to have a crossing tying together park/athletic facilities on both the north and south sides: Breese, Reynolds Park, the Central Park, bike paths and the skateboard park.

Still to come is developing E. Main between Blair and Ingersoll, which is a natural part of the area between Central Park (can we please give it a real name soon?) and E. Wash. What an opportunity for the property owners along those blocks. Same with the lumber yard property along the river, which is supposed to be available soon. This has all been in the works for so long, and now it might finally begin.

I am super happy to see this take off.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 pm

snoqueen wrote: Same with the lumber yard property along the river, which is supposed to be available soon. This has all been in the works for so long, and now it might finally begin.

Man, I hope Marling Lumber doesn't move too soon.....I need the Millwright that works there for a couple more years -- he's my go-to guy for duplicating all the oddball blocks and trim in my old house.

-Dan Motor

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Man, I hope Marling Lumber doesn't move too soon...

You've got til the end of the year.

brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby brentron909 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:

Dan Motor

You forgot the Star Bar. That place is PACKED on a nightly basis. I've never been but it seems like people can't get enough of that place.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:27 am

brentron909 wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:

Dan Motor

You forgot the Star Bar. That place is PACKED on a nightly basis. I've never been but it seems like people can't get enough of that place.

I've been there. Not bad, but I prefer the 'Bou.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 am

another big concern of a lot of the neighborhood residents is parking: where are all the cars bringing people to a 2,000-capacity venue going to go? IIRC the plan calls for a 200-spot parking facility, which is likely for the potential apartment residents.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:04 am

Neighborhood complaints are rolling in.

"Two hundred spots for 65 residential apartments plus 2,000 people is laughable, there is no other public parking available within a mile. A venue like this belongs close to the highway, not in a residential neighborhood," says one commenter. "Residents in close proximity are already concerned about traffic. Add 2,000 people driving around, half in the bag, on Mifflin, Dayton, Ingersoll and Brearly trying to get out of the neighborhood at 12:30 in the morning and see how desirable our neighborhood will become."

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:24 am

They live next blocks and blocks of empty space,something is going to fill them. They would be idiots to reject a venue that will fill spaces after they are home for the night for the most part. Perhaps a homeless shelter would be better, lots of parking available except those living in their cars. Or perhaps the Eastside should just have valet parking from Webster St. to the river to satisfy the the new Upper Eastsiders.

Ttusker
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm

I'd rather have Arnold's Breeze Inn back at that location. I miss that place.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 pm

No final approval to build, but they have a name. The Creamery.

They also want taxpayers to chip in to build it.

The developers have not offered many financial details on the project, which would include an affordable housing component, but have indicated they will seek tax increment financing from the city.

The 1000 block of East Washington is not currently in a TIF district, meaning the City Council would need to establish one before any assistance could be offered.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 am

The next step: the Urban Design Commission.

East Wash concert venue plans unveiled

Return to “Madison Music”