AFP mailings and Koch ads

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

AFP mailings and Koch ads

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Wow. I am about as far from their target audience as you can be, and live in a part of town that is about 85% Dems (there's always a few oddballs in every neighborhood), yet I have received THREE mailings from Americans For Prosperity in the last few weeks.

Either their targeting sucks to the extreme, or they have so much money they don't care how many hit the right doorsteps.

Then I was making dinner and saw an ad for Koch Industries! This was on local, broadcast TV. The pitch was how Koch Industries was creating jobs and cared about hometown Wisconsin. Puke.

This must be the counter campaign to everyone pointing the finger at the Koch Bros for having too much influence in politics.

And it's not even fall yet. If I make it through November without putting a brick through my TV, I will consider it a personal victory.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: AFP mailings and Koch ads

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Are the Koch brothers In the home electronics business yet? Maybe they are hoping you throw that brick.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm sure part of the new Koch ads are damage control since the "Citizen Koch" film hit the theaters.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Two brochures being mailed out this week by American's for Prosperity claim Act 10 "is working" by resolving Wisconsin's budget crisis. In April 2011 Walker testified before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee stating that Act 10 does not save any money.

Video of Walker at the House Oversight & Govt Reform Committee:

http://host.madison.com/ct/u-s-rep-denn ... 03286.html

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 pm

roadkill bill wrote:live in a part of town that is about 85% Dems (there's always a few oddballs in every neighborhood)

I don't want to threadjack at all, but I'm genuinely curious whether that comment is a reference to the recently released results of the Pew study that touched on partisan segregation or a manifestation of the phenomenon?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Then I was making dinner and saw an ad for Koch Industries! This was on local, broadcast TV. The pitch was how Koch Industries was creating jobs and cared about hometown Wisconsin. Puke.

Bet those taking the newly created jobs dont "Puke."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:45 am

Wisconsin ranks 37th in the nation for job growth, well below the national average. I guess AFPT/Koch forgot to mention that.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 am

Sandi wrote:
roadkill bill wrote:Then I was making dinner and saw an ad for Koch Industries! This was on local, broadcast TV. The pitch was how Koch Industries was creating jobs and cared about hometown Wisconsin. Puke.

Not until they realize they need three of them to make ends meet, anyway.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 am

rabble wrote:
Sandi wrote:

I get your point about jobs over all, but in the case of Koch industries is this actually true? I don't think they are in the sort of industries that pay below a living wage.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:
Sandi wrote:Bet those taking the newly created jobs dont "Puke."

I get your point about jobs over all, but in the case of Koch industries is this actually true? I don't think they are in the sort of industries that pay below a living wage.

Betcha two beers the jobs that pay a living wage go to imported managers and techs, and the jobs going to "hometown Wisconsin" folks are minimum wage.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 am

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I get your point about jobs over all, but in the case of Koch industries is this actually true? I don't think they are in the sort of industries that pay below a living wage.

Betcha two beers the jobs that pay a living wage go to imported managers and techs, and the jobs going to "hometown Wisconsin" folks are minimum wage.

You driving over here, or do I have to come up to Madison?

Job Openings at Koch Industries, Inc. in Green Bay, WI

Koch Industries Jobs & Careers in Green Bay, WI

Yes, their politics suck and they spend a lot of money getting politicians they like elected, but they aren't really in the low wage worker market.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Because the job is listed on a website, that means it's going to be filled by locals?

Usually you're a little less naive.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

rabble wrote:Because the job is listed on a website, that means it's going to be filled by locals?

You're basing your argument on the idea that Koch brothers would rather pay relocation costs (and possibly a higher rate) to bring in someone from outside the state rather than hire local workers who are fully capable of doing the job?

You aren't normally this paranoid.

And no, not all of those jobs are location agnostic. Infact most of them are not.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:Because the job is listed on a website, that means it's going to be filled by locals?

You're basing your argument on the idea that Koch brothers would rather pay relocation costs (and possibly a higher rate) to bring in someone from outside the state rather than hire local workers who are fully capable of doing the job?

You aren't normally this paranoid.

And no, not all of those jobs are location agnostic. Infact most of them are not.

I'm basing my argument on Koch takes care of Koch's minions first, others later. The jobs where workers with a conscience would get in the way won't go to locals.

So we'll wait and see. If it turns out I'm wrong and most of those jobs go to locals, I'll mail you two tickets redeemable at the Atwood Summer festival beer tents.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:02 pm

fair enough, I think you underestimate the number of Wisconsinites without a conscience (or with more interest in being paid then following their conscience).

I also would assume their political activities (taking care of their minions) have little in common with their business practices. And given that most of those jobs appear to be IT related, I'm not sure consciences really come into play all that much.

I'll try to find a suitably good beer fest.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”