Walkergate: It's Getting Real

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Walkergate: It's Getting Real

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Prosecutors allege Walker at heart of criminal conspiracy.. And they have the documents to prove it.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walkergate: It's Getting Real

Postby Sandi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Prosecutors allege Walker at heart of criminal conspiracy.. And they have the documents to prove it.

Don't you just hope!

The left has been trying ( unsuccessfully ) to remove Walker since he entered office. The reality is that this is just more throwing mud and see if anything sticks.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Sandi wrote:The reality is that this is just more throwing mud and see if anything sticks.

Kind of like the IRS scandal or Benghazi or birthers? Oh wait, or course not.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Sandi wrote:
Don't you just hope!

The left has been trying ( unsuccessfully ) to remove Walker since he entered office. The reality is that this is just more throwing mud and see if anything sticks.

She obviously watches Faux News and Rush Limdon't. That's how their side does it. Think up a crime, then throw everything at it. We on the other hand look for facts, then determine what happened.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:26 pm

not to piss in anyones corn flakes, but the "proof" that has just been released is nothing more than the prosecutor's arguments against why the subpoenas should not have been suppressed. The John Doe 2 is still dead in the water at this point, due to both the Federal court ordering it halted and the state court suppressing most of the subpoenas.

All that's really changed is that there is confirmation that Walker was one of the subjects of the investigation. I'm having a hard time seeing that hurt Walker all that much unless they actually manage to file charges in the next 4 months.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:not to piss in anyones corn flakes, but the "proof" that has just been released is nothing more than the prosecutor's arguments against why the subpoenas should not have been suppressed. The John Doe 2 is still dead in the water at this point, due to both the Federal court ordering it halted and the state court suppressing most of the subpoenas.

All that's really changed is that there is confirmation that Walker was one of the subjects of the investigation. I'm having a hard time seeing that hurt Walker all that much unless they actually manage to file charges in the next 4 months.

No nothing much in that document but it was stated in an article that 200+ pages were going to be put into record. It will be interesting to see the actual facts that are in those documents.

The one thing this does show is how secretive/paranoid the Republicans are. They set-up group after group and funneled money between them. One of the groups funds 99% of the money to another group. Why even have that group then? If you are so sure of your candidate and his position why create layer after layer of organizations and paper. There may be an innocent reason but it sure looks like they are trying to make it harder to trace "something" to me.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:16 pm

HawkHead wrote:The one thing this does show is how secretive/paranoid the Republicans are. They set-up group after group and funneled money between them. One of the groups funds 99% of the money to another group. Why even have that group then? If you are so sure of your candidate and his position why create layer after layer of organizations and paper. There may be an innocent reason but it sure looks like they are trying to make it harder to trace "something" to me.

The point is to be able to financially support speech while maintaining complete anonymity. Probably to protect business interests. I'm ok with letting people spend money to fund political speech, but I think anyone making a political statement should do so openly.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Walker is going to win or lose next fall depending on whether the voters like Mary Burke on a personal level. I think Walker is seen as a Presidential candidate ready to move on, question is whether the alternative is acceptable.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Huckleby wrote:Walker is going to win or lose next fall depending on whether the voters like Mary Burke on a personal level. I think Walker is seen as a Presidential candidate ready to move on, question is whether the alternative is acceptable.

You post some pretty funny stuff but that comes close to the top of the pile.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:40 pm

GordonFreeman wrote:She obviously watches Faux News and Rush Limdon't. That's how their side does it. Think up a crime, then throw everything at it. We on the other hand look for facts, then determine what happened.

Can't stand Limbaugh for a minute. Used to be a fan of CNN. But when so many here told me how bad and biased FOX news was, I started watching to see for myself.

Ya'all are as full of shit about FOX as you generally are on all other politics here. Talk about low voter info. The dictionary should just link TDP.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:45 pm

You know the old adage about when you hear hooves, think horses? It's going to be a long summer in Wauwatosa/Maple Bluff/Capitol. Oh wait, Scotty won't be in Wisconsin. He'll be out playing the victim to raise more campaign cash out of state...but as the national media starts to make noise, VOTERS in Wisconsin will feel the need to deliver our state from the hands of perceived criminals, and that's all Mary Burke needs with the race this close.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Sandi wrote:Ya'all are as full of shit about FOX

Are you saying it's not biased towards conservatives. It's no secret and just look at who the hosts of the shows are. Watch Fox and Friends sometimes. Jeebus Christ.

By the way, what the fuck is "Ya'all"

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Sandi wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:She obviously watches Faux News and Rush Limdon't. That's how their side does it. Think up a crime, then throw everything at it. We on the other hand look for facts, then determine what happened.

Can't stand Limbaugh for a minute. Used to be a fan of CNN. But when so many here told me how bad and biased FOX news was, I started watching to see for myself.

Ya'all are as full of shit about FOX as you generally are on all other politics here. Talk about low voter info. The dictionary should just link TDP.

Since you hate it so much here, why stay?

Are you getting paid to post? I can't think of any other reason given all of your complaining about how horrible this place is.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:53 pm

HawkHead wrote:Since you hate it so much here, why stay?

She's trying to show ya'all her truthiness.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:10 pm

OK, so say the Club for Growth (or whichever front group you choose) believes their actions have conformed with campaign finance law, which is exactly what they want other people to believe.

They have two tried and true courses of action I can see:

1) if charged, they could go to court and put on an affirmative defense, saying yes they did what the prosecution alleges, and guess what... It's all legal! I know I brought this option up before.

2) they could go to court in Wisconsin and other states and carefully build a number of cases that move up the ladder of appeals, with the goal of reaching the Supreme Court with one or more well-crafted cases upon which the Court will rule in their favor, ending all doubt as to the correct interpretation of this aspect of campaign finance law. This is the rate taken by civil rights lawyers and many others in the past.

But no! Instead they choose to play the martyr card, whining about being unfairly investigated and being treated differently from the other party. They file innumerable delaying motions and go after the prosecutors individually. One might guess either they don't really want to let the courts decide anything, or else they don't want certain evidence to see the light of day.

If they don't want to let the courts decide anything, it could be because their flouting of campaign finance law has been utterly egregious. It could be because they don't want the public to know where the money comes from or how it's been moved from hand to hand. It could be they have a general contempt for the courts and this is only one of a number of working plans to set up a financial network entirely beyond the reach of law. Or they could be trying to make prosecuting this case so expensive no DA or other entity will ever try it again, with the same result - - a political finance operation that is beyond the reach of law not for legal reasons, but practical ones.

If they don't want the public to see what they've been doing, it could be because they imagine a backlash is coming against too much corporate influence in politics. (I'm not sure there's a lot of evidence for this sentiment among the general public except in isolated incidences. ) Alternatively, they could have a plan to rewrite laws so aggressively as to pretty much obliterate public protections we take for granted (environment, banking and finance, social safety net and more) while people are distracted or not paying attention. In this way they can accomplish goals the general public cannot be persuaded to support in a straightforward electoral manner.

For any or all these reasons they could be trying to pull their machinations out of the spotlight and keep them behind a curtain of secrecy.

I have no idea why they are doing what they are doing, but no explanation I can think of is benign or harmless. Can anybody else come up with one?
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”