Washington Redskins Trademark Registration Tossed Out

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Washington Redskins Trademark Registration Tossed Out

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 pm

June 18, 2014
The United States Patent and Trademark Office issued a ruling Wednesday morning canceling trademark registrations for the name of the Washington R*dskins. The decision by the PTO's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in the case of Blackhorse v. Pro-Football Inc. was made on the basis that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and, as such, cannot be trademarked because federal law prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.
The ruling does not preclude the use of R*ds*ins as a common law mark, it just prevents registration. That will have consequences. It means team owner Dan Snyder will have a more difficult time registering the mark in foreign countries, which means that the team would not have exclusive rights, which is what a registered trademark creates. No more licensing, which will cut into revenue from sales of all kinds of team paraphernalia. But Snyder can still seek exclusive rights here by asserting common law trademark rights.

I'm guessing part of his reluctance, along with being a bigot, was the cost of changing the name. Now he's got the cost of keeping the name to factor in.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Washington Redskins Trademark Registration Tossed Out

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Given what a d-bag Snyder is, he may just take the loss in merchandising revenues. I don't think there is any other financial losses he has to worry about beyond that.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Given what a d-bag Snyder is, he may just take the loss in merchandising revenues. I don't think there is any other financial losses he has to worry about beyond that.

But think about it. He changes the name and millions of folks have to buy new shit!

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:29 pm

david cohen wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Given what a d-bag Snyder is, he may just take the loss in merchandising revenues. I don't think there is any other financial losses he has to worry about beyond that.

But think about it. He changes the name and millions of folks have to buy new shit!

He could have done that years ago, if that was his motivation. I think He may actually be more interested in being an ass then in financial gain.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 pm

I agree with your assessment of his character.

But I think this won't be the last cost tallied. Even if he'll pass up profit so he can be an ass, there might be a limit to how much money he'd pay to be one.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:12 am

Actually, I forgot one thing which may give this more teeth. If I recall correctly, merchandise profits are shared. This may get his fellow owners and the NFL itself to actually take a stand against him.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Actually, I forgot one thing which may give this more teeth. If I recall correctly, merchandise profits are shared. This may get his fellow owners and the NFL itself to actually take a stand against him.

Sales of merchandise revenue is split by all the NFL teams. The only sales that directly stay with the team are from their own "Pro Shop" at their stadium.

That is why if you are a Packer fan you should go to the Packer Pro Shop website to make purchases online or up to Lambeau if you are going to purchase in person.

Roger Goodel and the owners will not be happy about this at all.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I really get tired of all this political correct bullshit.

The Daily Caller has listed some United States Patent and Trademark Office hasn't deemed so offensive that they aren’t banned.

including:

Figgas over Niggas

Cracka Azz Skateboards

You Can’t Make A Housewife Out Of A Whore

Uppity Negro

And one with Redskins

All Natural My Dadz Nutz Carmelized Jumbo Redskins

via PowerLine

Why aren't these banned? Well even those of us with thicker skins cringe an these, but I suppose the thin-skinned PC police haven't heard of them yet.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 am

Sandi wrote:Figgas over Niggas

NON-FINAL ACTION - MAILED

What's this doing on this list? You aren't seriously comparing the term "whore" to "redskin" are you? Because that would be ridiculous.

Sandi wrote:Uppity Negro

You're joking right? "Redskins" is a common term used for peanuts with their skins still on.

Anyway, NON-FINAL ACTION MAILED (which you'd know, Sandi, if you didn't just uncritically accept what you're being spoonfed and actually looked at the links you post) means "the examiner has found issues with the application." The applicant can naturally contest this but "If the Applicant submits a response and fails to either: 1) address all the issues listed, or 2) persuade the examiner on any of the issues raised, the examiner in most cases will issue a final refusal." [bolded because Sandi seems to need all the help she can get.]

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 am

Bland, you get up on the wrong side of the bed, or just always a grumpy ass this early?

Geez, take a pill, get laid, or whatever will get rid of the snotty attitude.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:39 am

So Bland trumps your copy/paste job with actual facts and explanations as to how the TM process works...........blame the folks you copied and pasted from, not Bland.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:26 am

Sandi wrote:Bland, you get up on the wrong side of the bed, or just always a grumpy ass this early?
You think that I get out of bed at just past midnight on a Saturday night?
Sandi wrote:......the snotty attitude.
Pretty hilarious considering the source. Do you really believe there was nothing snotty in YOUR post, the one I responded to? You know, that post where you complained about "the thin-skinned PC police" and bemoaned "all this political correct bullshit" (which I presume is your term for the kind of thinking wherein sports franchise names which single out and denigrate one specific racial minority are deemed inappropriate.)

The fact is, you reposted nonsense without bothering to fact check it first and now that you look like a complete fool, you'd rather attack the messenger than the message you thought said something different than it does. Well, too bad for you. Besides, there is nothing comparable between the examples you posted and The Redskins. To suggest that some rinky-dink skateboard branding company is somehow on par with an internationally known sports franchise is pathetic, even for you.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

Arguing with Sandi is like whacking an empty pinata. You can demolish it all you like but you won't get anything out of it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Bland wrote:
You're joking right? "Redskins" is a common term used for peanuts with their skins still on.

That's IT! Now I see what Sandi's saying. Snyder doesn't have to change the name. All he has to do is change the graphic to a picture of a peanut. Bam. No more problem.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 pm

rabble wrote:June 18, 2014
The United States Patent and Trademark Office issued a ruling Wednesday morning canceling trademark registrations for the name of the Washington R*dskins. The decision by the PTO's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in the case of Blackhorse v. Pro-Football Inc. was made on the basis that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and, as such, cannot be trademarked because federal law prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.
The ruling does not preclude the use of R*ds*ins as a common law mark, it just prevents registration. That will have consequences. It means team owner Dan Snyder will have a more difficult time registering the mark in foreign countries, which means that the team would not have exclusive rights, which is what a registered trademark creates. No more licensing, which will cut into revenue from sales of all kinds of team paraphernalia. But Snyder can still seek exclusive rights here by asserting common law trademark rights.

I'm guessing part of his reluctance, along with being a bigot, was the cost of changing the name. Now he's got the cost of keeping the name to factor in.

If the Redskins were a team from any other place besides shitty ass Washington D.C., I would give a shit.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”