Doctor Who commits malpractice

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
manoletters
Forum Addict

Doctor Who commits malpractice

Postby manoletters » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:56 am

I virtually forced myself to watch the newest (Here in USA, via Public TV) Dr. Who last night. I have many complaints - would you expect anything different. Anyway, they are as follows:
1. David Tennant is risking a Michael Jackson style meltdown - so much hair gel on his head he is flagrantly inflammable. Even Christopher Eccleston was far better, more "Doctor-like," and less fashion obsessed.
2. Too much of a "National Security Ambiance." Most episodes seem very dark, dreary and replete with a sense of imminent threat from one extra-terrestrial "terrorist" or another.
3. A distinct lack of the kind of traditional British reserve and wry wit famously displayed by the OLD Doctor/s, circa 1960-1987. Instead, week after tedious week the show bursts out with a level of melodrama I never could have anticipated.
4. Little or none of the traditional Doctors' agnosticism, even verging on outright atheistic sentiments.
5. The special effects are TOO good. I ENJOYED the cheesy, corny, laughable visuals from the older series.
I have much more in the way of finicky grumbling, but nobody likes a whiner.
P.S: I miss "Rose Tyler."
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/david-tenna ... -wallpaper
Last edited by manoletters on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Doctor Who commits malpractice

Postby peripat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Hmmph. I liked Eccleston best of the rebooted Drs, but Tennant was fun and I even liked Matt Smith. Rose Tyler not as much as Amy and Rory who were smarter, if more self absorbed- and I'm not fond of Clara. It is true that lately the world is always coming to an end, but it probably was before too and we just weren't sophisticated enough to notice.
Nothing- including the culture- remains static. You really can't watch Dr Who with a critical eye (though I'm sure I'd hate the 2050 version) .

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks a lot for even bothering to reply, Peripat. I can dig your point of view; I didn't think anyone on this forum even cared as passionately as we two. Though I do think one can be critical - even popular entertainment can convey any number of powerful, albeit often subliminal, ideological messages. If that seems paranoid, I'd simply reply that the Newest Doctor Who episodes also impart a certain element of paranoia!
Last edited by manoletters on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:40 pm

When I watch Doctor Who these days I often don't have a freaking clue what the heck is supposed to be going on. It seems to go into an ultra short attention-span mode. Either that or I'm going geriatric. I don't remember having this problem watching the Tom Baker ones. Now there was a Doctor Who, dadgummit.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Agreed. Tom Baker was tops in my book. He had all the qualities I named above. And I believe you're right - the newer shows leave a rather schizoid impression, on me at least.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Baker was amazing, and Eccleston is probably my favorite doctor of the new series. The pace of the new series is definitely faster then the old show, but if you think back, the old show ran each story over 4-6 30 minute episodes, so they had a lot longer to develop a story.

Toss in the fact that the audience is used to faster paced stories and it's going to be a lot different, but I don't think bad. Just not the same as it used to be.

Something I've wondered about Tennant though, maybe there is a danger of giving the role to someone who was that incredibly huge a fan of the show.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:13 pm

I miss "Would you care for a jelly baby?".

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm watching the Tennant Dr. Who, trying to give it a chance. I'm warming up to it, but the stories are a bit disjointed. It has always taken me some time to warm up to new folks. Loved Eccleston and "Rose Tyler," then came to love Matt Smith and Amy and Rory, after quitting that Dr. Who for a while.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 am

Tom Baker is, of course, the quintessential Dr Who- he lasted seven years after all. He also appears again in the 50th anniversary show- The Day of the Doctor with both Matt Smith and David Tennant which is quite an interesting juxtaposition.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:29 am

While I like the 50th Anniversary show I was actually disappointed. Other than a cameo by Tom Baker NONE of the other Doctors show up. Really? They couldn't get anyone else to come? Or didn't they want to? As much as I like this Nu Who they usually seem to forget that there's a lot of Old School Who out there. Especially considering it's, you know, the 50th Anniversary and all.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 am

Well, if you're looking for more Drs there is always The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot that Peter Davison wrote & directed http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/watch-the- ... -56047.htm
It is about the 50th anniversary episode

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:20 pm

uwstudent wrote:While I like the 50th Anniversary show I was actually disappointed. Other than a cameo by Tom Baker NONE of the other Doctors show up. Really? They couldn't get anyone else to come? Or didn't they want to? As much as I like this Nu Who they usually seem to forget that there's a lot of Old School Who out there. Especially considering it's, you know, the 50th Anniversary and all.

1, 2, and 3 are dead. 4 was there. 5 has done a crossover with 10 already. 6 and 7 are kind of weird. 8 was there, in the excellent prequel webisode. 9 hates [strike]Doctor Who[/strike] Davies and Moffatt and will never play ball the franchise again. And then there you are with 10 and 11, archive footage incorporation of every Doctor including the next one, plus a bonus Doctor played by John Friggin' Hurt. Could be a hell of a lot worse.

And why is everyone putting Rose Tyler in quotes?

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use quotes to distinguish the talented, lovely but fictional Rose Tyler from the talented, lovely but real Billie Piper.

Return to “Catch All”