Govt in the bedroom?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Govt in the bedroom?

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:23 am

Government in the bedroom or sexual assault prevention? A new law would require students to get permission in writing if possible before having sex.

Sen. Kevin de Leon’s SB 967 would mandate that college kids get “an affirmative, unambiguous and conscious decision by each participant to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity,” either by voice or by written document, Breitbart reported.

He said his bill will go far toward addressing the sexual assault issues that have come to light at schools around the nation in recent weeks.

“Obviously, there is a problem,” Mr. de Leon said, L.A. Weekly reported. “SB 967 will change the equation so the system is not stacked against survivors by establishing an affirmative consent policy to make it clear that only ‘yes’ means ‘yes.’ “

The text of the bill states that “consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual encounter and can be revoked at any time. The existence of a dating relationship between the persons involved, or the fact of past sexual relations between them, should never by itself be assumed to be an indicator of consent.”

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Govt in the bedroom?

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 am

It will be just like grade school where you would pass a note to the object of your affection saying, "Do you like me, circle YES or NO below."

Except now it will say, "Do you wanna fuck me, circle YES or NO below."

And since it's college they should also probably initial by their answer as well.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:40 am

Remember_Me wrote:It will be just like grade school where you would pass a note to the object of your affection saying, "Do you like me, circle YES or NO below."

"I rate you a 7½. My phone # is 756-****"
{number obscured to protect Ellen's identity. D'oh!}

I got that gem in 5th grade.
Probably still the healthiest relationship I've ever had with a woman.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:45 am

His law should be amended so that a government agency can promulgate rules to implement the law. From that, a form can be created so that specific positions, orifices, and time frames for each can be agreed to. Such form requires the printed name and signature of two witnesses.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Maybe the rule should say any sexual activity should take place in front of disinterested witnesses (not necessarily uninterested, but disinterested) who can verify the necessary permissions were obtained.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 pm

snoqueen wrote:Maybe the rule should say any sexual activity should take place in front of disinterested witnesses (not necessarily uninterested, but disinterested) who can verify the necessary permissions were obtained.

I read that as "...the necessary positions were obtained." Which I suppose, given how meticulously created the forms gargantua proposed are, may be apropos.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Safest course of action would be video the whole thing and post it on YouTube, right?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Interesting that it is limited to college students....

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:11 pm

david cohen wrote:Interesting that it is limited to college students....

It's tied to colleges. Campuses that do not create a policy that falls in line with this requirement would lose state funding for student financial aid.

De Leons seems like a well meaning idiot. We don't need consent forms for sex we need to educate children and young adults on why consent is absolutely necessary.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:De Leons seems like a well meaning idiot. We don't need consent forms for sex we need to educate children and young adults on why consent is absolutely necessary.

+1

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:47 pm

How about instead we instruct judges and lawyers on how to properly try rape cases?

No means no. If some kids went to jail there would be a lot less of that behavior going on. Instead the trial usually becomes a horrible experience for the woman as the other side paints her as a "slut" that wanted it but regretted it the next day.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:49 pm

How about employers in the bedroom and doctor's office?

Hobby Lobby comes to mind. They should stay out also.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:22 pm

HawkHead wrote:How about instead we instruct judges and lawyers on how to properly try rape cases?

No means no. If some kids went to jail there would be a lot less of that behavior going on. Instead the trial usually becomes a horrible experience for the woman as the other side paints her as a "slut" that wanted it but regretted it the next day.

We should do that as well, but I'd rather they had less cases to try in the first place. Prevention being the best solution after all.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:49 pm

I agree, and I am going to say something the guys here probably wouldn't come out and say: young women (in college or wherever they are) need to think about how much they're drinking. Nobody makes good decisions drunk, and while both sexes get drunk in my opinion if women took care of themselves by limiting how drunk they got, the prevention problem would be more than 50% solved.

I know this is unfeminist, but it's real-world. A smart woman takes charge of her life, and she can't take charge of it if she's so drunk she can't sit up and think straight.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 pm

HawkHead wrote:How about instead we instruct judges and lawyers on how to properly try rape cases?

What is he proper way? I can't imagine a more difficult type of case on which to be a juror - and that would be on a rape case where both people are stone sober. It would be 10x worse trying to determine truth if both parties were hammered.

Return to “Headlines”