Ron Johnson: the Kochs' "model legislator"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Ron Johnson: the Kochs' "model legislator"

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 am

It isn't just Wisconsin's Scott Walker and Federal Judge Rudolph Randa who are heavily under the influence of the Koch brothers. Now Senator Ron Johnson admits he is their "model legislator." Too bad they don't also represent the people of our state.

A conversation between Ron Johnson and Koch donors

Sen. Ron Johnson is getting more exposure in Politico for his ties to the Koch brothers.

In a lengthy article about how mega-donors such as the Kochs have transformed the American political landscape, reporter Kenneth Vogel describes overhearing Johnson, who he said is referred to as the Kochs' “model legislator,” speaking to donors in a poolside cabana at the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort in Indian Wells, Calif. Vogel describes the 2013 gathering as "the latest in a running series of secretive political gatherings" hosted by Charles and David Koch.

Johnson was discussing the benefits of putting political money into the Kochs’ network of nonprofits rather than into traditional campaign groups, including the Republican Party.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ron Johnson: the Kochs' "model legislator"

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat May 31, 2014 7:41 am

“I mean, there are five or six people in this room tonight that could simply make a decision — this will be the next president — and probably at least get a nomination, if ultimately the person didn’t win. And that’s not the way things are supposed to work,” Vogel reports Obama saying.

This doesn't sound like anything new unfortunately. I'm not sure a few rich businessmen are much worse then a small group of political operatives deciding who the nominee will be.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:This doesn't sound like anything new unfortunately. I'm not sure a few rich businessmen are much worse then a small group of political operatives deciding who the nominee will be.

Then there are two strikes against Johnson, who was handpicked by Wisconsin GOP insiders at their political convention, even though the rank and file delegates wanted T. Wall, a Madison developer, for their senatorial candidate.

But there you go again, attempting to minimize the Koch Brothers toxic influence on Wisconsin (and national) politics.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 am

"11 Things the Koch Brothers don't want you to know" - Salon
Here's just one of the "things" mentioned in the article:
"11. The Koch brothers’ massive investments and holdings are literally killing the planet, because their primary business is transporting gas and oil. That includes the Canadian oil tar sands, which is the dirtiest source of fossil fuel on earth. If these sands are developed for the U.S. or Chinese markets, it would be the biggest carbon bomb in decades, hastening the progress of global climate change."
The entire article detailing much of Koch Brothers influence here:
https://tinyurl.com/n2xz6wy

And why is Sen.RoJo their darling "model legislator"? Because he is a staunch climate change denier. His defense of this position is both laughable and shows ignorance of basic science. RoJo claims the "science is far from being settled" not to mention that he fights regulation which would make companies emitting carbons into the atmosphere pay a flat cleanup tax.
https://tinyurl.com/knyqnab

Politicians like RoJo do not represent the people of Wisconsin.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat May 31, 2014 10:28 am

Since English really seems to confuse you

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm not sure a few rich businessmen are much worse then a small group of political operatives deciding who the nominee will be.

No, I think it's bad. Worse, but not much worse then political operatives doing so. And it's not new. Or unique.

Mary Burke comes to mind as well in case you forgot.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Sat May 31, 2014 11:19 am

I hope Ron Johnson is watching "Cosmos" this Sunday. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is taking on the climate change deniers. The Koch brothers probably won't like it much either.

"Tyson climate denier takedown we've been waiting for is finally here"

https://tinyurl.com/offtfwg
Last edited by HotPepper on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Johnson has done a bunch of backtracking recently, including disavowing his Tea Party supporters for their push for ideological purity.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I suspect the Kochs realize the Tea Party has gone off on the crazy train, and can see main stream republicans are starting to regain control of the party.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 pm

We'll see if Tea Party supported politicians change their course. I think as long as Politicians get the reelection money and support from the Tea Party they will continue to tote that barge, no matter what they say in public. And Tea Party will continue to support these politicians as long as they answer their bigger calling. I think the ALEC forces are more treacherous for mainstream America with their "model" bills and legislators.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 pm

On a side note, the Koch Brothers documentary, Citizen Koch, starts on June 14th at the Sundance.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:On a side note, the Koch Brothers documentary, Citizen Koch, starts on June 14th at the Sundance.

YES!!!! Thank you for the reminder of this documentary HV!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I suspect the Kochs realize the Tea Party has gone off on the crazy train, and can see main stream republicans are starting to regain control of the party.

More like "mainstream Republicans" have simply adopted the radical agenda introduced via the Tea Party.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:27 pm

I think Jim Jeffords was the last of the mainstream Republicans.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:22 pm

In another thread I posted the response I got from Ron Johnson when I e-mailed him about internet gambling. Someone googled the message and it was a direct hit from the Americans For Prosperity website.

Here it is again:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and share your thoughts internet gambling such as poker. It is important for me to hear the views and concerns of the citizens of Wisconsin and for you to know where I stand on issues. Since taking office, I have received over 300,000 pieces of correspondence and have had over 150,000 people participate in live forums and telephone town hall meetings.

Unfortunately, the federal government has expanded far beyond its enumerated powers. The size, scope, and cost are threatening America's future prosperity. The main reason I ran for office is because we are bankrupting America and mortgaging the future of our children and grandchildren. This continues to be my primary focus and should be the number one issue on everyone's agenda in Washington.

Because of government's intrusion into our lives, there are literally thousands of issues that might be debated in the U.S. Senate. It is impossible for me to have a position on all of them. Should your issue or concern come before the Senate, I will review the correspondence I have received and take your views and opinions into consideration.

Please feel free to contact me in the future with anything that is of concern to you or your family. You can also visit my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov if you would like information on legislation that I am sponsoring, press releases, and my stance on other issues that are important to you. It is an honor serving you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

I think the bolded is the paragraph from AFP.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:29 pm

The whole line of reasoning is AFP. The government's "intrusion" into our lives is the root of most of our problems, eh?

Only when it's not giving money to people who already have it and taking more from people who don't.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”