GEF 1 fire

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

GEF 1 fire

Postby Shorty » Sat May 24, 2014 8:57 pm

GEF 1 fire last week will close the building for two months. This creates some problems for getting the work done. Anyone know of some vacant office space employees can use?

Some state workers told to take vacation, unpaid time after fire
http://m.host.madison.com/wsj/news/loca ... touch=true

"DOA spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis told the State Journal on Tuesday that the 1,000 displaced employees from the GEF-1 building in Downtown Madison were working from home or other locations and that “NO employees have been furloughed and they have not had their pay reduced.”

But Thursday, Marquis confirmed that some employees are unable to work from home or another location but did not know how many. Those workers, she said in an email earlier Thursday, “have the choice to use vacation, personal holiday, sabbatical or accrued comp time as paid leave, or they can take leave without pay if they want to save their vacation time.”

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2980
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Shorty wrote:But Thursday, Marquis confirmed that some employees are unable to work from home or another location but did not know how many. Those workers, she said in an email earlier Thursday, “have the choice to use vacation, personal holiday, sabbatical or accrued comp time as paid leave, or they can take leave without pay if they want to save their vacation time.”

This is ridiculous. The burden should not be placed on the workers. And is their work so meaningless that the state can go for two months without them doing it?

There is a ton of vacant office space downtown. Surely the DOA can arrange something. A private-sector company certainly wouldn't sit on their laurels and have their workers go idle (pay or no) for two months.

HotPepper
Senior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby HotPepper » Mon May 26, 2014 5:06 pm

This sounds like very sloppy management. All State Agencies should have an emergency plan in place. If you cannot find a place for displaced workers to do their job then they should be put on administrative leave or on unemployment.

GEF building just passed inspection in December. Perhaps we should be reviewing who did this inspection?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7474
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby rabble » Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:This is ridiculous. The burden should not be placed on the workers. And is their work so meaningless that the state can go for two months without them doing it?

There is a ton of vacant office space downtown. Surely the DOA can arrange something. A private-sector company certainly wouldn't sit on their laurels and have their workers go idle (pay or no) for two months.

I agree they should be able to set up SOMETHING a person could use if the work that person was doing required a computer and nothing else. Like maybe a laptop at the wireless connection at the Library. If whatever they did required equipment being replaced, I don't know what could be done.

But in my experience a private sector company would fire the workers before offering leave. If you've got vacation, use it up. Then you're gone too.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12625
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 pm

I was told by someone who works for the state that the terms under which the employees are required to take the hit were part of Walker's Act 10.

I don't have any details or verification, so take it as a rumor.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6652
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was told by someone who works for the state that the terms under which the employees are required to take the hit were part of Walker's Act 10.

I don't have any details or verification, so take it as a rumor.


I wonder if they'd get unemployment?

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2980
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I was told by someone who works for the state that the terms under which the employees are required to take the hit were part of Walker's Act 10.

I don't have any details or verification, so take it as a rumor.


I wonder if they'd get unemployment?

That's a good point. This would be akin to a temporary factory closing. If you expect to return to the same job, you can still file for unemployment while "the factory is closed." They may still have to blow through all their vacation / sick time first, though.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 885
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby penquin » Mon May 26, 2014 10:57 pm

They can file for it, but the Republicans changed the law so that the first week of unemployment insurance doesn't get paid out.

Solstice
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 am

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby Solstice » Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 am

I've been told by displaced GEF-1 workers that some of the alternate workspaces they've set up are now exceeding the occupancy capacities for the spaces, and that computer workstations are set up on buffet tables, connected by daisy-chained power strips and extension cords that are running exposed along floors and under doorways. In essence, DWD's response to a fire has been to create more fire hazards. I've been assured that Madison Fire Inspectors have been informed of this, but inspections of the spaces have yet to occur...

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby Shorty » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 pm

rabble wrote:But in my experience a private sector company would fire the workers before offering leave. If you've got vacation, use it up. Then you're gone too.

I really doubt a private sector company would fire the workers. The workers have a lot of experience and knowledge so aren't easily replaced all at once. It would take months to recruit and hire replacements. More months for training. Meanwhile the company would be idle losing money.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7474
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby rabble » Tue May 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Shorty wrote:
rabble wrote:But in my experience a private sector company would fire the workers before offering leave. If you've got vacation, use it up. Then you're gone too.

I really doubt a private sector company would fire the workers. The workers have a lot of experience and knowledge so aren't easily replaced all at once. It would take months to recruit and hire replacements. More months for training. Meanwhile the company would be idle losing money.

Okay, replace "fire" with "lay off with hope that we'll be able to replace you with somebody cheaper even if they're almost incompetent."

I think the labor pool is a little better stocked right now than you think it is. The good ones might be a little scarce but you can find plenty of hungry half trained people willing to take subsistence wages.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby Shorty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Remember when DOA vastly over-estimated the cost of repairing the Capitol from the protestors' wall hangings? Now they under-estimated the GEF 1 fire damage repair. They are not good estimators. Since GEF 1 is rather old and unsightly, why not just tear it down and build a better bldng?

GEF-1 fire damage estimated at $15M, up from $350K
Remediation, repair process on track to have employees in building by August
http://www.channel3000.com/news/gef1-fi ... k/26785160

"The Department of Administration said Thursday that a fire at a downtown office building is estimated to have caused $15 million, which is up from the original $350,000 estimate. GEF-1 on East Washington Avenue has been closed since a May 16 fire on the fourth floor caused damage to multiple floors. “This is an initial estimate and it may change in the months ahead as repair and remediation efforts are completed,” a DOA release said."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13766
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Image

peripat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 am

Re: GEF 1 fire

Postby peripat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Shorty wrote:"The Department of Administration said Thursday that a fire at a downtown office building is estimated to have caused $15 million, which is up from the original $350,000 estimate. GEF-1 on East Washington Avenue has been closed since a May 16 fire on the fourth floor caused damage to multiple floors. “This is an initial estimate and it may change in the months ahead as repair and remediation efforts are completed,” a DOA release said."


A good share of that new estimate includes the cost of finding alternate spaces for employees to work and setting them up appropriately. It isn't like the state has a terrific amount of unused office space, after all. The original estimates didn't factor actual employees needing to do actual work in actual premises at all (Because, you know, who needs public employees)


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests