Net Neutrality

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Net Neutrality

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I've received several emails from different organizations regarding net neutrality. I was in Tammy Baldwin's Madison office, two weeks ago, with four other people, through the organization "Demand Change".
I received emails from Free Press years ago about net neutrality. Why does it seem like suddenly several different organizations have come out of the woodwork about this issue?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Net Neutrality

Postby HawkHead » Tue May 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I've received several emails from different organizations regarding net neutrality. I was in Tammy Baldwin's Madison office, two weeks ago, with four other people, through the organization "Demand Change".
I received emails from Free Press years ago about net neutrality. Why does it seem like suddenly several different organizations have come out of the woodwork about this issue?

The big issue I see is if you control the internet you can control commerce.

If Google, for example, takes over and decides to charge NetFlix more to get higher downloading speeds to increase profits or better yet they could create their own competing business and drive Netflix out just by keeping them from fast internet speeds.

That neither party seems to get their head around this issue amazes me. The potential damage to commerce is immense.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Five US ISPs accused of holding the internet to ransom

Five US internet providers have been accused of "deliberately harming" the web experience for their customers, with claims that the companies are purposefully keeping things congested so as to extract cash from content providers. The US ISPs - described as "large Broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in their local market" - and one European ISP are not named by "internet middleman" Level 3, though the company has previously requested that the FCC look into AT&T's handling of networks.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Free Press has kept me updated over the years. Why are so many orgs suddenly coming out of the woodwork as johnny come latelys?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Because it's before Congress right now. Hearings and all that.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 08, 2014 11:21 pm

It is a big deal because chairman Wheeler has the opportunity to reclassify,
Yet chooses to pacify the interests of those he is entangled with.
Let it drag on - what is the minimum effort required to save face with the masses that pay attention to this issue & placate the few who lord over us - waiting to more deeply extract our collective dollars/freedoms.
Maximal action is required from FCC to keep most people in the game of this complex form of telecommunication we call the internet.
Over the last decade or so,
This  infrastructure has been rapidly evolving.
The  publics needs have been 'overlooked'.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm

I just read Isthmus article: Information toll road or freeway?

Near the end of the story,"If the rules pass, that shouldn't stop anyone who uses the internet from holding companies accountable.

How do we do that and how the hell is that going to make any difference?

And here's the latest from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/techn ... iness&_r=0

micjustin33

Postby micjustin33 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:03 am

I would share a Youtube Video which say a lot about Net neutrality and What is going on in this.. You can see that how others like Neflix, Hulu etc paying to ISPs and passing the way and what ISP doing with users http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSbPZ3WpnKc
The Simple way to stop this that don't listen the ISPs and pass the way...

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:53 pm

I understand some who lurk here - are positioned to implement an irritant presented in this piece:
http://hackaday.com/2014/06/12/net-neut ... fast-lane/

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:59 pm

On Monday, President Barack Obama came out in favor of the "strongest possible rules to protect net neutrality," endorsing a popular proposal that would empower the Federal Communications Commission to require Internet service providers to treat all web traffic equally and not charge content providers for better access.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/1 ... 32814.html

Then of course, there is Cruz.

'"Net Neutrality' is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government," Cruz wrote on Twitter.

Cruz's spokeswoman, Amanda Carpenter, added that net neutrality would place the government "in charge of determining pricing, terms of service, and what products can be delivered. Sound like Obamacare much?"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ted-cruz ... z3Igp1pa2v

That is a flat out fucking lie. Anyone who has kept up with it knows that's not true.

I'm curious what conservatives on the board feel. I personally feel that if we don't support net neutrality, the internet as we know it today is fucked. The companies are doing just fine with profits, so this is just a way to gouge people more. We have an amazing amount of freedom for what we can see on the internet. Do folks really want to piss that away? Do you really want to be limited as to what you see?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 am

Is it possible to be in love with an interview?
In my mind Dr. Orton's professional parrhesia makes it so-->
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 08677.html
Notice the edge of fatalism,
He is most likely correct.

Return to “National Politics & Government”