Misogynist hypocrites

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Misogynist hypocrites

Postby kurt_w » Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm

The tiny but oil-rich Sultanate of Brunei has just had Sharia Law imposed on it, by its autocratic ruler Hassanal Bolkiah. The new penal code would impose harsh sentences:

[...] stoning to death for adultery, cutting off limbs for theft, and flogging for violations such as abortion, alcohol consumption, and homosexuality. There’s also capital punishment for rape and sodomy.

But will the Sultan himself be subject to his own laws? Jillian Lauren writes that she had first-hand experience with the Sultan and his brother violating these laws:

How the Sultan of Brunei Violated His Sharia Law With Me

As a teenager, I was the mistress of his brother—who ‘gave’ me as a gift to the sultan. And in just one night, we committed at least two offenses under his newly implemented penal code. [...]

This is not the first such allegation. Nearly two decades ago another woman, Shannon Marketic, sued the ruling family of Brunei over claims of sex slavery and forced prostitution.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Misogynist hypocrites

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Interesting, the law only applies to Muslim citizens. That's a bit more progressive than I would have expected. Of course if I recall correctly, renouncing your Muslim faith is considered Apostasy and is punishable by death according to Sharia law, so no one is dodging a bullet using that route.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 12, 2014 10:10 am

Kurt's finally getting wise to the wonders of Islam :lolno:

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 12, 2014 1:35 pm

And Ned is still clinging to the notion that if one member of any organized religion does something, it is by definition representative of that entire faith, everywhere.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm

rabble wrote:And Ned is still clinging to the notion that if one member of any organized religion does something, it is by definition representative of that entire faith, everywhere.

The honor killings, the beatings, the rapes...they happen all the time. This particularly heinous episode just happens to be getting the LSM's attention.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon May 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:And Ned is still clinging to the notion that if one member of any organized religion does something, it is by definition representative of that entire faith, everywhere.

The honor killings, the beatings, the rapes...they happen all the time. This particularly heinous episode just happens to be getting the LSM's attention.

And that's just within the Catholic seminaries.

Return to “Headlines”