WORT block party forced to move

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

WORT block party forced to move

Postby ilikebeans » Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

The un-Madison-like response to WORT's very Madison-like block party

I can't tell you how much this pisses me off.

The WORT block party has been a Madison tradition for 16 years, with a well-behaved crowd that has "not resulted in any property damage or public safety concerns, according to city officials."

Suddenly their relatively-new neighbors can't abide by not having access to their parking garage for one day a year. Apparently moving your car to street parking the day before is too difficult.

To the Fourth Ward Loft condo residents that refused to sign the petition: You're living in the wrong city. Time to move.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3538
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby FJD » Tue May 06, 2014 1:16 pm

I look forward to a FMD blog about how a 75% signature requirement is undemocratic.

Seems petty and somewhat un-neighborly of the condo residents. Also, when wouldn't you want to have a party right outside your front door that you didn't have to do any work for?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby ilikebeans » Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Update: It's my understanding that the condo owners all received notification from their association that, because of insurance costs related to the party, their fees would jump by $200-300/year.

As the article points out, "this despite working with its insurer to indemnify the condo and agreeing to add fencing to keep revelers off condo property."

The association blatantly lied to its members to garner the no votes.

IrisTramm
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby IrisTramm » Tue May 06, 2014 3:50 pm

I was born here. Educated here. Worked here as a professional employee for a branch of the government for a long time. Then I went away for about 12 years. Recently relocated and am ASTOUNDED at the level of gentrification and, well ... uh ... red-ness and non-progressiveness that has infused the central city.

Frankly, I don't recognize much other than the 'Dise which, praise Baby Jebus, hasn't changed an iota since I was in college 25 years ago.

IT

Igor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby Igor » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 pm

ilikebeans wrote:To the Fourth Ward Loft condo residents that refused to sign the petition: You're living in the wrong city. Time to move.


On the contrary- this seems like a very typical Madison thing to have happen.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 14031
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 07, 2014 9:18 am

People from Epic, you think?

They're indisputably changing the downtown, though for better or for worse it's hard to say. Gentrification for sure.

How long does WORT want to hang on to that downtown real estate they got in 1980 for $69,900 (according to the city's records)? Anybody who recalls the Bedford area in 1980 knows it was a very different place than it is today, and hardly anyone did a more advantageous buy-and-hold than WORT, unintentional though it might have been.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:How long does WORT want to hang on to that downtown real estate they got in 1980 for $69,900 (according to the city's records)? Anybody who recalls the Bedford area in 1980 knows it was a very different place than it is today, and hardly anyone did a more advantageous buy-and-hold than WORT, unintentional though it might have been.

Good question. Other intelligence I've gleaned is that some of WORT's neighbors have voiced complaints about such petty things as the WORT building's appearance, the location of their trash bins, etc.

I don't *think* they're currently considering moving, but how long before they can't ignore the property resale value? A shoestring volunteer station needs all the income it can generate.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3126
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
snoqueen wrote:How long does WORT want to hang on to that downtown real estate they got in 1980 for $69,900 (according to the city's records)? Anybody who recalls the Bedford area in 1980 knows it was a very different place than it is today, and hardly anyone did a more advantageous buy-and-hold than WORT, unintentional though it might have been.

Good question. Other intelligence I've gleaned is that some of WORT's neighbors have voiced complaints about such petty things as the WORT building's appearance, the location of their trash bins, etc.

I don't *think* they're currently considering moving, but how long before they can't ignore the property resale value? A shoestring volunteer station needs all the income it can generate.

I agree that the land is likely worth quite a bit more today, but how's the math work out? Sell the land for $X. Find a comparable spot, build out the studios, transmission tower, move everything ... is there any appreciable profit realized after all that?

Also, WORT almost didn't get enough signatures last year and had to agree to clean up their property in order to get the support of the last hold-outs. It was my understanding that they had a lot of junk in their backyard area while they were cleaning out / renovating some parts of the building.

IrisTramm
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby IrisTramm » Tue May 13, 2014 2:36 pm

That this is even an issue saddens me. WTF happened to Madison in the last decade? Can someone clue in a former Madison apologist who no longer recognizes her hometown?

IT

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2488
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby Shorty » Thu May 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Time for this year's party

http://www.wortfm.org/18th-annual-wort-plock-party/
The party starts at 11am on Sunday, May 17th and the fun continues until 7 pm. As always, there will be a wide variety of live music, children’s activities, food from around the world, art and craft vendors and a beer garden featuring fine Wisconsin brews! We will also have a raffle with fabulous prizes donated by area businesses.

Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (just off the Capitol Square).

Band Lineup:
11:15 – Clocks in Motion (orchestral percussion)
12:30 – No Name String Band (bluegrass)
1:45 – Wheelhouse (country rock)
3:00 – El Clan Destino (latin jazz)
4:15 – Cash Box Kings (blues)
5:15 – Prize Raffle
5:45 – Kim Manning (space queen of George Clinton’s P-Funk All Stars)

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby dogmeat » Thu May 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I'd like to raise a point regarding the value of the property. When people talk about selling their home they always brag about how much the value increased, but few if any bother to check out the rate of inflation since the home was purchased. Just because the selling price of the home increased doesn't mean the effective value did. Often times the effective value actually decreased.

If WORT sells, only what they can get above $200,300 would be profit. Country records are not much help since those say the property has an assessed value of $0. The parcel adjacent of roughly the same size is assessed at $177,000. I think it is unlikely selling the property will make them so flush with cash they could at least replicate their current setup at another location.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6561
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby gargantua » Thu May 14, 2015 4:46 pm

It is a good time, though I still prefer the Bedford location. I think I've been to all but two of them.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3543
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby O.J. » Thu May 14, 2015 4:51 pm

dogmeat wrote:I'd like to raise a point regarding the value of the property. When people talk about selling their home they always brag about how much the value increased, but few if any bother to check out the rate of inflation since the home was purchased. Just because the selling price of the home increased doesn't mean the effective value did. Often times the effective value actually decreased.


Thanks for the tip, E.F. Hutton. I, for one, had no idea that inflation can affect prices.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1682
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby Bland » Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 pm

O.J. wrote:Thanks for the tip, E.F. Hutton. I, for one, had no idea that inflation can affect prices.

It's especially helpful because my finger is sore and I didn't want to have to scroll all the way up to green union terrace chair's post which made nearly the same point without assuming everyone else was an idiot.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: WORT block party forced to move

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 pm

I was actually homeless and sleeping in a 92 Tempo 4-door down by the old R&R building on the WORT dead end when they started construction on the apartment complex. One morning I was awoken very early by a police officer knocking on my window. He told me that the construction guys didn't want me parking there-they wanted to use the spot. I drove by a few days later and someone had spray painted "RESVERED FOR WORKERS" on the old building (now torn down). And someone had X-ed it out and spray painted "RESVERSED FOR WORKERS" in safety-orange. I couldn't stop laughing, and just then I remembered that I had a can of white spray paint in my trunk, so I whipped it out and sprayed "RESERVED FOR ROCKET SCIENTISTS" ... True story...


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest