MPD Chief Koval on Access: City Hall

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

MPD Chief Koval on Access: City Hall

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue May 06, 2014 9:45 am

Prepping interview with MPD Chief Mike Koval for next Access: City Hall. Anybody got any questions? Thanks.

mayact4
Forum Addict

Re: MPD Chief Koval on Access: City Hall

Postby mayact4 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 pm

My question is this: Is he going to change the current MPD model that, whenever there is a major incident, most patrol officers are pulled off the road to "assist" (even when the suspect is in custody or, well, deceased), and MPD handles only true emergency calls for several hours?

I believe the citizens of Madison deserve police service and protection even if a violent crime occurred on the other side of town, and I have to believe there are other law enforcement models to draw from in handling these crimes.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Still taking questions for tomorrow's taping with MPD Chief Mike Koval.

Thanks.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 15, 2014 1:40 am

I have a question that I think is becoming 'standard-ish' for this setting.
What are Chief Koval's thoughts regarding the balance of duty to protect his community and the risk of utilizing an increasingly militarized set of tools (hardware/'legal') available to law enforcement professionals over the last decade or so? For example: I understand that MPD officers had rifles trained on some situation at the Associated Bank on Monroe Steet a month or so ago. It is also my understanding that these officers were standing feet away from a building with children inside - associated police professions effectively sought to lock down that situation & it passed. The thing is I did not see any public record of this event, nor was there an explanation provided to the cowered. 
Why is this?
What is this?
When I am aware of one unreported event,
I wonder how many others may be.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu May 15, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks, MH, but I'm not sure I understand the reference to "increasingly militarized set of tools" when the event you relate involved rifles, which I think are pretty basic weapons. Also, when you say you "understand" the Monroe St. event happened, could you clarify how you know this, when and at what time it happened, and whether you sought any information directly from MPD. Thanks.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 am

I recall an article on the madison.com mobile site that interviewed Chief Koval and he talked about his relationship to Chief Couper, who hired him and, it sounded like, mentored him.

I'd like to hear more about that and if Koval would like to return to that attitude. And how much effort he'll put into it.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 17, 2014 2:13 am

Too late for the interview...

Stu Levitan wrote:"increasingly militarized set of tools" when the event you relate involved rifles, which I think are pretty basic weapons.

So the rifle is not a part of the character of militarization? I get the rifle when it is trained on a deer across the corn field or though the wood or both, context is everything. In the context of the city trained at a building across a public roadway it looks out of place. They taught against this in hunters safety - when observed in the city this raises the bar of acceptability. This action can be appropriate for many public safety reasons - but they were not explained to my knowledge. As I said this was an example & as you state militarization has other tools in this 21st century. How those are being deployed is a deeper question to which the answers are not widely known - but seem important to ask of our public servants entangled in these developments. 

Stu Levitan wrote:Also, when you say you "understand" the Monroe St. event happened, could you clarify how you know this, when and at what time it happened, and whether you sought any information directly from MPD

I gained this understanding from someone I am associated with.
I did not contact MPD for information.
I did not see it on MPD public feeds.
Perhaps it was UWPD responding.
Basically, I am trying to get my head around what gets public exposure and what doesn't & why.
Publicly speaking - unknown knowns - do not necessarily deliver ignorance that is blissful.  
I believe tight control of publicly available information is a character of militarized situations as well.
Perhaps I am being hyper-vigilant.
But isn't hyper-vigilance called for at this moment?
I fear that our civic integrity is not being cared for - for most.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”