Pop Ups

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Pop Ups

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 05, 2014 8:05 am

Anyone else get one EVERY SINGLE time they come to this site? It's always some generic web generated junk ad too not Google generated based on my browsing history. Just junk. Anyways it's really lame. if it's just me I get it but if it's a revenue generating thing Isthmus agreed to they need to reconsider.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pop Ups

Postby Stebben84 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:34 am

I was gonna complain about this earlier. Most of the time Chrome blocks these pop ups. I don't know what the deal is with this one.

To the admins. Pop ups are lame. Do they really generate that much revenue?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 05, 2014 8:43 am

I'm with ya. I've trained my finger to click that thing out of the way so fast you wouldn't believe it. It comes up once and then disappears for the rest of the session which is a mercy. Generic internet garbage done up in wedding-invitation fonts.

I can't get either Chrome or Firefox to block 'em. Somewhere, a spam artist is laughing.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 am

They show up as a pop under for me. Bu only once per day (unless I clear my history).

I've noticed them recently on other sites as well: channel3000 and chicagotribune.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am

Yep once per day, or login, or something. Still ridiculous. Pretty sure the Pop-Up died a horrible death as an advertising tool in 2004.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 am

I'm not seeing anything with Safari 6, even with pop-ups permitted and adblocker disabled.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am

I'm getting them (Google Chrome). Lame.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon May 05, 2014 11:14 am

I get pop-unders too, with Firefox or Chrome. I don't ever see what they are advertising because I close the window without it ever getting on top.

It's an annoyance, and Isthmus is getting the revenue without the advertiser getting the eyes on its content that it is paying for.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Mon May 05, 2014 11:20 am

To all the Chrome users -- I use Chrome with AdBlock, and have never gotten a pop up. Get it -- it's free and awesome.

Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Archipants » Mon May 05, 2014 11:53 am

nutria wrote:To all the Chrome users -- I use Chrome with AdBlock, and have never gotten a pop up. Get it -- it's free and awesome.

My employer uses Barracuda web filters to block certain sites, keywords, etc. and ever since this pop-up funny business started it would block forum pages completely. I have Chrome with AdBlock and while it stoped the pop-ups, it allowed something through that the Barracuda filter picked up and ended up blocking the entire page about 50% of the time.

In the AdBlock options under the "Filters" tab, I tried checking the "Fanboy's Annoyances" filter list and BAM! it took care of it... It's probably blocking a bunch of other stuff that I may want to see... but I don't have time to deal with the whack-a-mole pop-up game.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Yeah, I get that pop-under that says my mac needs to be cleaned to run faster. I rarely look and just close out my browser when I'm done. She's nice and slick, making mackeeper unnecessary.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I get a pop-up every time I see that sexy Demo-doll baby Kirsten Powers on Faux News!

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 05, 2014 1:44 pm

I get it in Chrome with every session as well. PLEASE GET RID OF THEM!

I've been meaning to complain about them for the last month or so but complaining about other things got in the way.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon May 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I use Pale Moon ( Firefox clone ) streamlined for Windows. Anyone with Firefox or clones can use AdblockPlus to stop all popups.

Or if you don't use a flavor of Firefox you can block unwanted connections with a HOSTS file.

If you don't value privacy, you can use the Chrome, however they ( Google ) can and do track you regardless of browser settings to the contrary.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 am

Running a G5 mac with FF 3.6 and get a pop under and sometimes a pop over telling me it's time to clean my mac. This is the stupidest shit ever. Mac users get macs because they are easy to use and are, in general, virus free so an ad like this is an insult on top of annoying horse hockey. :thumbdown:

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”