Prepaid phone recommendations?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Forum Addict

Prepaid phone recommendations?

Postby markkay » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 pm

We want to cancel our Charter phone service, and replace it with a cheaper prepaid cell phone. My wife and I have smartphones, so we're not looking for something that we will be using a lot. Instead, we want a sort of emergency backup phone to be used infrequently when our kids are home alone and need to contact us. Which is what we use the Charter phone for. However, I suspect a prepaid phone is better deal than the Charter phone, and the Charter phone is also annoying, as we mostly get telemarketing calls (yes, we're on the do-not-call list) and calls from creditors trying to find whoever had the phone number before us. Oh, Ed Asner and the RNC call a lot too, during presidential elections. Not at the same time, though.

Anybody care to recommend a cheap, reliable, pay-as-you go phone that provides only voice and text service?

PS We'd wanted to use an old, unused iPhone for this purpose, but AT&T tells us that you can't just get voice and text with an iPhone. Nope. You also have to buy a data plan. I don't know if that's a business decision, or actually dictated by technology, but that's what they told us.

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Prepaid phone recommendations?

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 02, 2014 4:45 pm

I think it's T Mobile that lets you use your own phone. Not sure if there are others doing the same now.

and scroll down to where it says bring your own device.

Postby KGBear » Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 am

Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:55 am

My land line was annoying as well. Instead of bill collectors, they gave me a freshly disconnected number from a freshly defunct middle eastern restaurant. I forget the name. It would start ringing on Thursday night - Sat night and it was so very tempting to answer with an accent and start taking reservations, or repeating the nights specials.... But I didn't and got rid of At&T (horrible). IPhone for my main phone now.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat May 03, 2014 11:06 am

I've had AT&T prepaid with a nice Nokia 6085 simple phone for years and been happy. Cost only $8/mo. I only use it for calls but it can do texts, also. Only problem is service outside Madison and urban areas is not good. Check coverage maps before you buy, but they aren't always reliable.

There are lots of prepaid plans. Here are some comparison sites:,2817,2375644,00.asp

If you want a cheap smartphone plan with minutes and texts see my thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59215

Return to “Technology & Video Games”