No Mouth Jewelry

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

No Mouth Jewelry

Postby Ninja » Fri May 02, 2014 11:12 am

"Mouth jewelry?" I asked at the door. "So if I had a lip ring, you wouldn't let me in?"

"They mean, like, a grill," I was told. Interesting.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=42653

So blatant, illegal racism is interesting? Interesting.

How is it still 1953 in Madison and how have the feds not forced this town into receivership yet? This is an insane place.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Re: No Mouth Jewelry

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri May 02, 2014 11:36 am

This policy is racist garbage along the lines of the valid driver's license policy attempted by area bars a few years ago. Hopefully the Isthmus can cover this story like they previously did with the driver's license issue. Anyone who is denied admittance into this establishment because of this policy should contact an attorney immediately.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 am

What does "Shirt stitching must line up with the tops of shoulders" mean? No Flashdance sweatshirts? No western-style yoked shirts?

And of course no baggy pants cuz, you know, them.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I probably wouldn't eat there in the first place but now, if the group I'm with wants to go there I'd beg off and catch the bus home.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Dunno about restaurants, but "no mouth jewelry" is becoming pretty common in public school dress codes, especially in the south.

Is that illegal? I don't think there have been any court cases yet.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Ninja wrote:How is it still 1953 in Madison and how have the feds not forced this town into receivership yet? This is an insane place.

Ya, because this type of stupid shit doesn't happen anywhere else. It's a fucking dumb policy and thanks for pointing it out, but why does every post have to end with, and this is why Madison sucks. We know, we get it. Give it a rest.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Yet Ninja still lives in this hellhole.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Ninja wrote:So blatant, illegal racism is interesting? Interesting.

What, never seen a white kid with a grill?

From Fat's link:
"I have no problem with dress codes as long as they are enforced uniformly," says Ald. Mike Verveer. Verveer sits on the Alcohol License Review Committee, which has been looking into the issue of discrimination in city bars.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 02, 2014 2:12 pm

As a former employee of the Angelic, I've been meaning to stop in some day to check the place out, but I think I'll pass. However, seeing as they are going to be at the Bacon, Brew & BBQ Fest in Sun Prairie this summer, I might just have to stop by their booth and greet them with a set of fake grillz.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 02, 2014 3:41 pm

O.J. wrote:As a former employee of the Angelic, I've been meaning to stop in some day to check the place out, but I think I'll pass. However, seeing as they are going to be at the Bacon, Brew & BBQ Fest in Sun Prairie this summer, I might just have to stop by their booth and greet them with a set of fake grillz.

What's a fake grill? A grill is a grill.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 02, 2014 3:45 pm

What if someone with a full set of braces tries to enter? Maybe it's just best not to smile.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
O.J. wrote:As a former employee of the Angelic, I've been meaning to stop in some day to check the place out, but I think I'll pass. However, seeing as they are going to be at the Bacon, Brew & BBQ Fest in Sun Prairie this summer, I might just have to stop by their booth and greet them with a set of fake grillz.

What's a fake grill? A grill is a grill.

I was referring to the cheap, plastic Halloween costume form of the jewelry.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 02, 2014 7:39 pm

O.J. wrote:I was referring to the cheap, plastic Halloween costume form of the jewelry.

You mean glow-in-the-dark Dracula fangs? That would be cool, but probably awkward to eat with them on.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Detritus wrote:What does "Shirt stitching must line up with the tops of shoulders" mean? No Flashdance sweatshirts? No western-style yoked shirts?

That's also quite hilariously specific. I think it's going after some early-2000s Ja Rule half-shirts or something. And I don't think that's what's hot in the streets today, regardless of cadre.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm

kurt_w wrote:Dunno about restaurants, but "no mouth jewelry" is becoming pretty common in public school dress codes, especially in the south.

Is that illegal? I don't think there have been any court cases yet.

Schools are a totally different situation. Kids in schools have limited constitutional rights to begin with. Their first amendment rights are constrained and their fourth amendment rights are almost non-existent. Not saying I agree with that, but it's the law.

What amazes me about Madison is how this kind of shit happens here and it's been settled law for decades. You can't have a dress code that employees immediately sell out as a racist pretext. You just can't.

Well, I guess you can here, where the City Attorney's office endorsed the Jim Crow shit that Fat referenced above. But that kind of shit shouldn't happen. Especially not in a city that somehow calls itself liberal. I don't deal well with cognitive dissonance and this kind of situation presents nothing but.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”