East Johnson Construction

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

East Johnson Construction

Postby Ninja » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

If there was ever a time for the police to figure out and enforce the law it would be now, at the corner of South Hamilton and East Johnson.

Morons! You cannot turn right from the left lane. That's against the law, for good reason. It could work in theory, if you were turning from an actual turn lane and there were dotted lines that you could follow, but that's not the case at this intersection, so you just lazily drift into those of us who are stupid enough to drive like competent adults. How is this a thing that exists?

Also, the construction firm responsible for the construction around the 900 block of East Johnson needs to understand that there needs to be some kind of advanced notice that two lanes are reducing to one. You can't just throw up a closed sign and hope that people figure it out. I figured it was a temporary thing when I saw it last night but it's still the situation tonight. The same thing happened on Campus Drive a few years ago. Ridiculous. Signs matter, even if most people ignore them. Everybody try harder.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12960
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm

You are 100% right, but it seems more difficult than it really is because you have been laying on the couch smoking weed.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5087
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm

That area is truly a clusterfuck, and largely needlessly so.

The phenomenon of people turning from the wrong lane seems to be worse than ever this year. I swear to God, I think sometimes people are so determined to get where they're going without delay that they just close their eyes and hope for the best.

Ttusker
Forum Addict
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Ttusker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Beg pardon, but Ninja is only 99% right: NORTH Hamilton intersects East Johnson.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Ninja » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

snoqueen wrote:You are 100% right, but it seems more difficult than it really is because you have been laying on the couch smoking weed.


Because I smoke weed I must have no control and drive intoxicated. Got it.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Ninja » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Ttusker wrote:Beg pardon, but Ninja is only 99% right: NORTH Hamilton intersects East Johnson.


Correctomundo. I don't know why I have so much trouble with the streets around the square. My old pizza delivery knowledge must be wearing off (ie Mendota is to the north, Monona to the south - made the whole odd/even address thing much easier).

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12960
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

I think people generally drive better when they smoke because they slow down, FWIW.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Unless it's pullover pot. Then you can't drive at all.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 am

Ninja wrote:Also, the construction firm responsible for the construction around the 900 block of East Johnson needs to understand that there needs to be some kind of advanced notice that two lanes are reducing to one. You can't just throw up a closed sign and hope that people figure it out.
That's the norm in Madison, as far as I can tell. And it's the City that should be monitoring this. The firm is probably working to spec where certain important requirements were never specified.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 am

fennel wrote:
Ninja wrote:Also, the construction firm responsible for the construction around the 900 block of East Johnson needs to understand that there needs to be some kind of advanced notice that two lanes are reducing to one. You can't just throw up a closed sign and hope that people figure it out.
That's the norm in Madison, as far as I can tell. And it's the City that should be monitoring this. The firm is probably working to spec where certain important requirements were never specified.


I don't think it's just Madison. I'm pretty sure all of Milwaukee is now considered a construction zone and I don't think I've seen a single "lane ending" sign for construction. Of course foreknowledge doesn't actually mean people won't wait till the very last moment to get over anyway, so construction companies may have decided not to waste the money.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4505
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Ducatista » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:23 am

Ninja wrote:I don't know why I have so much trouble with the streets around the square.
I've lived within a few blocks of the Square for the better part of 30 years, and I still don't know Hamilton from Hancock.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 am

That fucking street ate my rear bike rim last week. Now it looks like this:
Image
There were a few pot-holes last week from heavy equipment that could've swallowed a VW. Oh and the "bikes my use full lane" sign that was put behind the row of parked cars did very little good, but thanks for trying, construction dudes.

I want to get off Johnson but I'm a little frustrated how hard it is to get from the downtown bike lanes on Johnson and cross over to the Mifflin Bike Blvd -- especially at rush hour.

-Dan Motor

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7890
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

Ducatista wrote:
Ninja wrote:I don't know why I have so much trouble with the streets around the square.
I've lived within a few blocks of the Square for the better part of 30 years, and I still don't know Hamilton from Hancock.

You have no idea how much better that makes me feel.

Okay maybe you do have an idea but damn. I'm going to print that out and carry it around for when my wife jabs me about navigating by landmarks instead of street names.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I don't think it's just Madison. I'm pretty sure all of Milwaukee is now considered a construction zone and I don't think I've seen a single "lane ending" sign for construction.
Weird. Is it a cultural thing, like the idle contemplation of green lights while stopped?

It's like putting an out-of-service notice inside the elevator.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: East Johnson Construction

Postby minicat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

If the cops want a good place to sit, they should sit anywhere along the East Mifflin bike boulevard during evening drive time and pick off all the drivers buzzing bicyclists at 40 mph from six inches away.


Return to “Town Vibe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest