Walker using Mellencamp songs

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Forum God/Goddess

Walker using Mellencamp songs

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 pm

If Mellencamp doesn't like it, why doesn't he ask Walker to stop? Doesn't Walker have to get Mellencamp's permission and pay royalties? Maybe Mellencamp wants the royalties so doesn't ask Walker to stop.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... r/25517018

"During a recall campaign in 2012, Walker played the Mellencamp song "Small Town." When Walker launched his re-election campaign Tuesday, he played "Pink Houses."

Mellencamp publicist Claire Mercuri tells The Associated Press in an email Wednesday that the rocker is not asking Walker to stop playing the song. But he wants Walker to know that he supports unions and collective bargaining."

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker using Mellencamp songs

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't know if Mellencamp has the legal right to enjoin Walker from using his music.

But he did make it known that he didn't like it. Walker is using it anyway, which reinforces his image as kind of a dick.

That's not bad politics if you think it through.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker using Mellencamp songs

Postby david cohen » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm

I wonder if Walker has to pay ASCAP/BMI fees to use the songs at rallies? Certainly if he used them on TV or radio he'd have to pay up. Now, if John Cougar really objected, he'd run his own ads stating "I'm John Cougar Mellencamp and I DO NOT approve of his message"....ain't gonna happen.

Return to “General Music”