BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

BBQ

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 am

Without going whole hog, yet, I am getting set to pick up a picnic shoulder (pork shoulder w/ skin on) & BBQ it with what I built from an old smoky joe & a tamale cooker.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

Any suggestions?

Suggestions that steer me toward smoke-cooking meatless options are welcome, as well. I am thinking about root vegetables - like carrots & beets.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: BBQ

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am

Potatoes, corn on the cob, eggplant, peppers, onions, asparagus, tomatoes...shit, just like this guy, I'll smoke anything.

Smoked eggs are pretty friggin good, too.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:45 pm

O.J. wrote:Potatoes, corn on the cob, eggplant, peppers, onions, asparagus, tomatoes...shit, just like this guy, I'll smoke anything.

Smoked eggs are pretty friggin good, too.

All good ideas and the link to the '98 piece in the Onion good as well.
More impressive to me is you tucked this into two sentences.
As I hack around at this BBQ thing I will report what does and does not work - for me.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Smoked eggplant is amazing.

Smoked tomatoes make a really good soup.

Smoked sweet potatoes didn't work as well as I'd hoped. They were okay, but they didn't work nearly as well as the whole shoved-in-the-embers thing.

I fully intend to try smoking some wild rice and see how that cooks up. I have a vague feeling of "not nearly as well as the concept sounds" but I'll never know without trying.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 pm

NullDevice wrote:Smoked eggplant is amazing.

Smoked tomatoes make a really good soup.

Smoked sweet potatoes didn't work as well as I'd hoped. They were okay, but they didn't work nearly as well as the whole shoved-in-the-embers thing.

I fully intend to try smoking some wild rice and see how that cooks up. I have a vague feeling of "not nearly as well as the concept sounds" but I'll never know without trying.

Did you smoke the eggplant, tomato, & sweet potato whole or sliced in slabs?
The wild rice idea is intriguing. I think I would try speading it on a screen and hit it with apple or hickory smoke (@150 - 190C) & take out portions at 10, 30, & 60 min - cook each & see which exposure is in the range of what you like, then go from there. If you do try smoking wild rice - please come back and report!

Bbqking

Postby Bbqking » Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 am

How did your shoulder turn out? As for suggestions, I would suggest a skinless pork butt. The entire pork shoulder consists of the butt and the picnic, different muscle groups and different textures when cooked. The butt is more suitable for pulled pork. The picnic has a firmer texture and is often served chopped. I prefer to cook skinless butts or whole shoulders because it allows for better bark development on the meat.

Enjoy your new cooker, the Virtual Weber Bullet is tremendous website/community.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 am

Bbqking wrote:How did your shoulder turn out? As for suggestions, I would suggest a skinless pork butt. The entire pork shoulder consists of the butt and the picnic, different muscle groups and different textures when cooked. The butt is more suitable for pulled pork. The picnic has a firmer texture and is often served chopped. I prefer to cook skinless butts or whole shoulders because it allows for better bark development on the meat.

Enjoy your new cooker, the Virtual Weber Bullet is tremendous website/community.

Sadly, other than my bacon experiment last summer I haven't been back to the smoker - yet.
I recently read Pollan's 'Cooked' & got it in my head to BBQ a skin-on-chunk and finish it chopped with cracklings.
The trouble is that there are not many options I am aware of in this part of the state to find this cut - other than that skin on picnic I keep eying at Woodman's. Sure it's cheap - but I will likely order & purchase an appropriately sized shoulder (sans skin) from a local farmer.

shyguy

Postby shyguy » Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 am

I got a pretty good pork shoulder at the east side Hy-Vee last week. Not sure if it's exactly the cut you're looking for, but it was pretty good (did it on the Weber for 4 hours or so for pulled pork).

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu May 22, 2014 7:41 am

Be aware that all pork sold at Hy Vee is treated Hormel product. I can't remember what they call it but it's enhanced pork, injected with water and tenderizers. I emailed them and asked why they don't offer un-enhanced pork. They answered that the Hormel product offers consistent results which customers prefer. In other words, their customers don't know how to cook pork.

Some Hy Vee packaged beef is also treated with a "solution." The beef from the service case is not. Read the labels unless you want to pay $8/lb for water and chemicals.

I buy un-enhanced pork and beef at Jim's Market on Northport Drive.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu May 22, 2014 11:15 am

I buy my butts at Jenny St. Market. I've had luck at HyVee, too, but I haven't been there recently. Though I've never smoked one of those treated butts, I did have to settle for a rack of solution-ized ribs once. The end product wasn't all that awful, but I didn't get a great bark and the meat just seemed a little lifeless to me. Who knows, it could have all been in my head.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 pm

shyguy wrote:I got a pretty good pork shoulder at the east side Hy-Vee last week. Not sure if it's exactly the cut you're looking for, but it was pretty good (did it on the Weber for 4 hours or so for pulled pork).

Truth be told I will probably grab a shoulder out of the case at Copps - as I have done for many other purposes. I believe they stock Hormel. Sure it is pumped with saline, but that is (in some way) what I intend to do with my treatment. The process and effort of smoke BBQ'ing has me fussing with the ethereal. I need to shake that off.
I think I will start with the familiar - thank you for bringing that.

Bbqking

Postby Bbqking » Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Woodman's West carries Farmland All Natural (non injected) bone-in butts.

Ttusker
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 pm

So does Woodman's East.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 am

I took the plunge last Monday.
Apx a 9# picnic shoulder.
Farmland from Woodman's - I selected one with a sell by date well into the future (6/15/14).
I got it situated at 11:30 am and provided it with 250F & smoke from trimmings of our apple trees.
When we were closing in on 7 pm the internal temp was just pushing past 190F.
I would have liked to pull it at 195F, but there were people to feed.
After a 15min rest I peeled the skin with hope that we could attempt 'crackling',
That did not pan out.
With regard to the rest that I pulled & chopped-
The story gets more interesting.
The effort seemed excessive at the time, some in the family were irritated. Rationally, as I had committed a large chuck of a 'holiday' to the process.
I kept it simple as in Pollen's 'Cooked'.
The only mod I made was to incorporate a tablespoon each of toasted yellow & black mustard seed & a crushed garlic clove into the 'sauce' of vinegar, water, sugar, salt, red and black pepper.
The result was considered like ham by some.
The flavor of left overs - day by day - becomes more interesting.
I have been involved with roasting 120# whole hogs in less than 8 hrs.
This process was much more interesting.
I might now pull midwesten flavor expectations into this.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am

I budget a minimum of 12 hours for butts (2-4 hours of smoke, 6-8 wrapped in foil, another 2-3 in a cooler wrapped in towels). Given my equipment (vertical propane smoker), it's not all that feasible to do overnight smokes, so these days I opt to smoke in the evening, foil and finish in the oven overnight, and rest in the cooler as long as I need to (up to 8 hours in the cooler). I used to pull at 190, too, but that's not enough. I shoot for 205-210 and then pack it up in the cooler.

If you haven't visited the BBQ Brethren forums, you're really missing out. Do a search there and find out what a "fatty" is, then make one. Pure pork perfection.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”