The Edgewater Grand Opening!: Did Landmarks get it wrong?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

The Edgewater Grand Opening!: Did Landmarks get it wrong?

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:31 pm

I thought I would start this topic early so it will be ready to go next Fall when the Edgewater Landmark hotel opens...

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Edgewater Grand Opening!: Did Landmarks get it wrong

Postby Detritus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Oh no! Now I'll be on tenterhooks all summer, wondering whether you will declare the Landmarks decision correct or not.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Well, you are just going to have to wait.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:59 am

No drinks on the pier.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... f887a.html

There was talk of a lakefront plaza akin to the popular Memorial Union Terrace. Renderings showed an expansive boardwalk extending from the rear of the hotel out over the water.......

....Final plans for a 42-slip lakefront pier do not include any eating or drinking area. The pier itself is 20 feet wide and is designed mainly for boat docking. It also includes a small public fishing area.

I guess that's what the TIF was paying for.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 pm

The Cap Times wrote:(Editor's Note: This story has been updated to include new information)

Um, yeah. The new information: "Edgewater officials emphasize, however, that food and drinks will be available on a large deck connecting the pier to the restaurant."

So instead of the former dumpy order window and dilapidated pier, there'll be a 2-story bar/restaurant with indoor and outdoor lakeside seating. What's the problem, exactly?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:11 pm

I will say, though, that the new Edgewater has one MAJOR downgrade: the former (and fabulous) 666 Wisconsin Avenue has been sterilized to 1001 Wisconsin Place. Pft.

Whirlz

Postby Whirlz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

What's the problem, exactly?

Were you ever on the Edgewater pier previously?

EVERYONE that I know that has, has said this is the most idiotic idea yet - It was one of the best places to go out ON THE WATER - not some edge of the water restaurant

There is a reason piers are popular - and its not that they are somewhere back on shore, practically part of a building :crazy:

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:14 pm

EVERYONE, eh? Sorry to break your losing streak. I've spent many an hour on the craptacular Edgewater pier over the last dozen years, and it was a downmarket dump. "On the water" didn't redeem it, just like "not on the water" doesn't condemn the Terrace.

I spent a fair bit of time there despite the dumpiness because a) I live three blocks away, b) the view is fanfuckingtastic, and c) it's a convenient boat pick-up point. a, b, and c are all still true.

Whirlz

Postby Whirlz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 am

Yes, everyone that I have talked to about the subject - many in the food and bev industry - not one has said "hey, that's a great idea" (for a deck rather than pier for food and bev)

All you are getting with a deck is one 'front' row towards the water - all other tables will have their view blocked - which is why a pier is better - its not hard to understand - a pier has three sides towards the water and actually is above it - not so with a deck - and the deeper the deck (distance from front to back) the worse it will be - the folks sitting towards the building might as well have seats at the Echo Taps 'deck'

If one thinks that a deck is better than a pier they are either working for the developer or seriously obtuse

and fwiw - I used to live one block away (for many years) - that doesn't make my viewpoint any better or worse

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 am

But if the DNR says you can't have a pier, a deck seems the next best alternative.

Whirlz

Postby Whirlz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 am

f the DNR says you can't have a pier, a deck seems the next best alternative.

True

But I'd like a better explanation of the reason the DNR having problems with a pier - they had food and bev previously, so why not now?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 am

Re: The thread topic, please note the Landmarks Commission had NOTHING to do with the pier issue. OK? Thanks.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Whirlz wrote:
f the DNR says you can't have a pier, a deck seems the next best alternative.

True

But I'd like a better explanation of the reason the DNR having problems with a pier - they had food and bev previously, so why not now?

Even back during the initial proposal, the DNR unsolicited (Hammes never bothered to ask) said approval of the pier in the designs was unlikely.

The DNR pretty much kaboshes and major piers or shoreline developments for environmental reasons.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm

That's how I remember the Hammes company's actions, and I sat through quite few of the committee meetings. Dunn deflected, more than once, the question of whether DNR had been consulted or even approached let alone had rendered an opinion. Given that public access to the water was a big part of the promises he was making to obtain TIF funding, I thought the lack of explicit followup on this point was was either naive or evidence of a pre-cooked TIF process.

As it turned out, we never had to answer that question.

But it didn't leave me with a stellar opinion of Dunn's forthrightness or dedication to respecting the public interest.

Anybody who read the relevant DNR rules could see right away the imaginary pier was nonconforming. Maybe Dunn thought he could get an exception, and given the way DNR is run at the present time, I'm slightly surprised he didn't.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:...given the way DNR is run at the present time, I'm slightly surprised he didn't.

Patience. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens yet. I could see it being implemented incrementally.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”