Final four

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Final four

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:58 pm

If WI wins, Walker gets Kentucky bourbon. If KU wins, Walker gives them beer and brats. Now I'm not sure which team to root for.

Wisconsin, Kentucky governors bet beer, bourbon, cheese and brats on Final 4 game
http://www.channel3000.com/sports/badge ... e/25265724

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Final four

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Vegas has Kentucky as a 1.5 point favorite. I guess raw talent (which they have plenty of) trumps Wisconsin's "ballet basketball". I think Bo Ryan's challenge is to rattle the young Kentucky team because their youth will make them more prone to mistakes if they're taken out of their comfort zone. Getting a lead won't be enough... they've shown the tenacity to battle back from deficits repeatedly during the tourney. And the Badgers probably can't afford any shooting droughts in this one... Kentucky will score in the paint even with good defensive play from Wisconsin.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised if we "Baylor-ize" the Wildcats. We just might pick those talented freshmen apart. They don't have a lot of experience with the kind of adversity Bucky can treat them to if we're on.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 am

The WSJ had both the UW and the Kentucky team stats in the sports pages this morning. After doing a little rudimentary Nate Silver-ing I have a few thoughts about how this is going to play out.

My big takeaways:

1.) Kentucky averages about 6 more rebounds a game. This is not a big surprise, and I fully expect that the Wildcats will out-rebound Bucky.
2.) Kentucky had more turnovers than assists, whereas the Badgers had about 1.5 assists per every turnover. Overall, the Wildcats averaged about 5 more turnovers a game than the Badgers.
3.) The Badgers are a much better 3-point shooting team, both in number of treys taken and in percentage made.
4.) Both the Wildcats and the Badgers had a significant edge on their opponents in number of freethrows taken. Kentucky took about 200 more free throws than the Badgers, and thus have an edge in points from the line; however, the Badgers made a significantly higher percentage of their free throws.

So - what does it all mean?

First of all, I doubt that Bucky will be as charitable in fouling Kentucky as their average opponent. With the Wildcats' advantages in height and athleticism, I think it's reasonable to assume that the Badgers will end up fouling more than they usually do - but it will still be less of an edge than Kentucky normally enjoys.

I also think that the Badgers will have a significant advantage in turnovers.

So, in last analysis, I think it comes down to this - will Kentucky's rebound advantage outweight the Badgers' edge in turnovers and three pointers?

The half-time score should be the key indicator; if Bucky is ahead, or even within five points, I think Kentucky is toast. If the Badgers are behind by 10 points or more, I don't think they'll be able to pull another Oregon-like second half comeback.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I think it's pretty simple: If Frank Kaminsky gets into early foul trouble, UW is toast.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Badger bball is the Sports Illustrated cover, so they are jinxed and will lose.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Beaver wrote:Badger bball is the Sports Illustrated cover, so they are jinxed and will lose.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is a regional cover(there are similar ones for Florida, Kentucky & Connecticut). You'll have to find a different jinx.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Oh then is there an official cover? How do we find out who is jinxed?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Beaver wrote:Oh then is there an official cover? How do we find out who is jinxed?

I'll let you know late Monday night.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Kentucky over UW
Florida over UConn

Florida over Kentucky

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 am

Bo Ryan responds to national media questions at the Final Four presser.

Asked about the biggest difference between getting this far at Division III and Division I, Ryan espoused the virtues of enjoying a good doughnut, diet soda and a crossword puzzle before the big game, as opposed to heading to a room filled with reporters who want to dissect his every move.

The trappings of big-time college basketball have not changed him.

"Every place I've been, wherever I was an employee, (the paycheck) always went into the account," Ryan said. "My wife gives me $150 a month as an allowance, whether I need it or not. I don't get caught up in all that other stuff."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 pm

While TBS is covering tonights game, for a local flavor TruTv (Charter cable 651) will broadcast with Wayne Larrivee and Mike Kelly announcing. I wonder which one bars will have on.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 pm

I feel terrible for those kids. What are the chances that Harrison would drain yet another game winning three even though he wasn't shooting any threes all game? I expected Kentucky to go for an easy tie in the paint and they actually had the cajones to stick a knife in it (successfully). It's one of those situations where Badger players will have a sinking feeling in their stomachs for the rest of their lives every time they remember how they felt when that three went down.

And they suffered that pain for our entertainment. And whatever slightly muted glory and sweet, sweet booty that came along with it.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Kentucky B-Ball is as close as you can get to payola and still keep it legal. Play for me for one year, then take the money. How does that NOT attract the top 5 high school seniors every year? I hope UConn bloodies them in what will surely be a playground brawl Monday night.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:09 am

I don't particularly like the Kentucky "model", but as far as I can tell, everything is legal according to current rules. And the fact is, the NBA is responsible for creating this environment.
Props to the Kentucky team. It was a hell of a game, and I'm proud of the Badgers who came within an inch or two of winning. They certainly proved they belonged.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”