Is anyone excited about the MMSD School Board race?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Is anyone excited about the MMSD School Board race?

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am

22 days away and I've seen nary a yard sign nor gotten a mailer from either candidate. MTI endorses both of them and neither seems to have much to say besides "I lost last time elect me this time." Mike Flores can't articulate a single thing besides that he's latino. Wayne Strong can only talk about the discipline code. I can't recall a more BORING dialogue between 2 candidates in my 20 yrs of MMSD involvement. If no one voted, maybe neither of these guys could take office!

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is anyone excited about the MMSD School Board race?

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I had a sign up, but my neighbor's Pomeranian tore it to shreds.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

O.J. wrote:I had a sign up, but my neighbor's Pomeranian tore it to shreds.

So you have a neighbor with a racist/socioeconomically prejudiced Pomeranian? NICE!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

I bet the Pomeranian was bored by the race too.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:46 am

I see that Wayne Strong, a retired Madison police officer, now teaches at the for-profit Globe "University." Since one of the big issues in the upcoming race for school board is the acheivement gap between white and minority children, I wonder how Globe is doing in that regard. For-profit higher education is notorious in that many students don't complete their coursework and get a degree (or certificate, or whatever they offer).

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:26 am

Indeed Henry. We have a choice between dumb and dumber on this one. Might be time to write in someone else!

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I see that Wayne Strong, a retired Madison police officer, now teaches at the for-profit Globe "University." Since one of the big issues in the upcoming race for school board is the acheivement gap between white and minority children, I wonder how Globe is doing in that regard. For-profit higher education is notorious in that many students don't complete their coursework and get a degree (or certificate, or whatever they offer).

Globe is notorious for getting its students to max out their student loans and then saddling them with the choice of quitting (because none of their Globe credits will transfer to a real university) or completing a degree that won't get them anywhere. There are for-profit and online universities that give some value for their (relatively high) price, but Globe is not one of them.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”