This missing plane

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

This missing plane

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 am

We can track someone down through their cell phone signal but we can't find an airliner? So the modern "black box" doesn't have a super duper distress signal built into it? Even if the plane disintegrated we should still be able to find the box, right? We routinely collect signals from our equipment in deep space but we can't find a trace of a plane in the South China Sea. This is why we end up with conspiracy theories.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-ai ... cials-say/

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missin ... say-n48826

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: This missing plane

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 am

either a massive explosion that spread out a debris field of smaller pieces over a huge expanse of ocean.....or it was abducted by aliens. They'll find it but it will take time, unlike the movies. I did see an interview with the creator of the "black box" and he said it was out-dated technology and they should have streaming data but the airlines are too cheap to use it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am

It took a couple years to find the French plane that crashed into the Atlantic. I doubt if any signal could be picked up from a black box in deep water.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 am

Henry Vilas wrote:It took a couple years to find the French plane that crashed into the Atlantic. I doubt if any signal could be picked up from a black box in deep water.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Henry, I think you mentioned submarine experience once?) but those black boxes emit a radio signal which isn't going to go far underwater. And they don't emit sonar. I seem to recall that they need to be found visually, which is tons of fun under thousands of feet of water.

The stolen passports are interesting ... perhaps it was some hijacking attempt, pilots tried to return, there was a struggle and the plane crashed? But I think it more likely that one or two false passports are an average on flights in that part of the world and it was simple mechanical trouble.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am

green union terrace chair wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:It took a couple years to find the French plane that crashed into the Atlantic. I doubt if any signal could be picked up from a black box in deep water.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Henry, I think you mentioned submarine experience once?) but those black boxes emit a radio signal which isn't going to go far underwater.

My experience is over forty years old, but subs back in the day had to extent a very long antenna when submerged to make radio contact. The also used extremely long wave frequencies to receive communications.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 pm

A lot of people are asking the same question, and this guy has some of the answers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... o-missing/

In brief: it's complicated.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:59 pm

It's interesting that the water depth in that area is like 280 feet max, whereas the Air France plane went down in 6 mile deep water. So they will find it...unless we're talking Twilight Zone stuff here.

bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 am

Interesting interview on NPR this AM, can't recall the guy's name. However, what I remember is that it seems the farther away from a land mass the plane gets, the more unreliable radar becomes as far as tracking. Which is why GPS makes much more sense. As another poster noted though, the airlines will not willingly spend their profits on anything that does not directly result in more profits. I would of course expect the US carriers to scream bloody murder if required to do this upgrade because it would be "expensive". :wtf:

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 am

Sno's linked article was very informative. And I'm just now remembering reading somewhere that we know more about the moon than we do about the bottom of the ocean.

While I still have sympathy for the victims and their families here, I find it a little refreshing that we (supposedly) haven't completely monitored the planet.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 am

david cohen wrote:It's interesting that the water depth in that area is like 280 feet max...

Are you talking about the original search area or the newly expanded one? Even at 280 feet, I doubt if the black box transmitter signal could be read at the surface.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 am

The original search area only had the 280 ft depth...now they've expanded it almost beyond belief, which tells me they haven't a clue! I'm starting to think Black Hole...Thai Triangle....Alien Abduction....

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Hijacking or terrorism.

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Has anyone claimed responsibility yet?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:23 pm

I sure feel sorry for the families of the people on board that plane. This story just keeps twisting and turning.

Actually, it sounds eerily like that Tintin book (Flight 714?)

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm

This is weird as the ACARS data was available from the start.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/chi ... story.html

Now this many days later our attention is turned west to the indian ocean. I wonder what was observed by our presence there in places like Diego Garcia?

Return to “Headlines”