Greenway Station shopping mall

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Greenway Station shopping mall

Postby Beaver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:34 pm

It's that large open mall in Middleton. Who shops there? It never seems busy the few times a year I go there. Now Erewhon and Ashley furniture closed so there is even less reason to go there. Has several restaurants but most are chains that are mediocre at best, except Dhaba.

I don't think these open air malls are a good idea in WI climate. They are going to make Hilldale worse by doing that.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Greenway Station shopping mall

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah, I hate the open air remodel of Hilldale. I loved stepping off the #2 at Sundance and strolling all the way to Metcalfe's, protected from the elements. When I get time I'll have to look up what their rational is.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Yeah, I hate the open air remodel of Hilldale. I loved stepping off the #2 at Sundance and strolling all the way to Metcalfe's, protected from the elements. When I get time I'll have to look up what their rational is.

My understanding is that the open-air part of Hilldale (where Porta Alba etc. are) is the most successful part of the mall--the strictly interior stores have been failing. So the owner decided to try to duplicate the successful part, at least architecturally. I have no idea whether that will work or not, but I gather that there is a general trend nationwide of malls that were enclosed in the '70s being reopened to the air now.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Yes, as I contemplate the snow and 7 degree temperature outside right now, nothing seems like a brighter idea than an open air mall. It makes me wonder if the ownership mistakenly believes Hilldale is in Florida.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:45 pm

I agree - the open air concept in Wisconsin is confusing to me as well. The Bayshore Mall in Milwaukee is open air. The rationale in that case is to "prevent loitering or congregating". Thinly veiled racism, per Milwaukee County usual, unfortunately. Seems to be the new wave for malls seeking the "upscale" market.

As far as Greenway, that Michaels is better stocked than the east side, and I like the World Market. But now that there is a DSW on the east side, I'm unlikely to make the journey from the north side when I'm in town.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:12 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:I agree - the open air concept in Wisconsin is confusing to me as well. The Bayshore Mall in Milwaukee is open air. The rationale in that case is to "prevent loitering or congregating". Thinly veiled racism, per Milwaukee County usual, unfortunately. Seems to be the new wave for malls seeking the "upscale" market.

Glendale is in Ozaukee county, if I'm not mistaken--pretty much everything on the lake from Shorewood north is outside Milwaukee county.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Beaver wrote:I don't think these open air malls are a good idea in WI climate. They are going to make Hilldale worse by doing that.

Depends on which Wisconsin climate you're talking about. They're very good for keeping "teenagers" away.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Detritus wrote:
TeachInPeace wrote:I agree - the open air concept in Wisconsin is confusing to me as well. The Bayshore Mall in Milwaukee is open air. The rationale in that case is to "prevent loitering or congregating". Thinly veiled racism, per Milwaukee County usual, unfortunately. Seems to be the new wave for malls seeking the "upscale" market.

Glendale is in Ozaukee county, if I'm not mistaken--pretty much everything on the lake from Shorewood north is outside Milwaukee county.

Irrelevant and also false - you have to get a lot closer to Mequon before you hit the Ozaukee county line. There are MPS schools up on Florist, which is further north than Silver Spring and still in Milwaukee County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_Wisconsin

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:58 pm

The new owners of Hilldale are from Boston and own shopping centers as far north as Maine.

When they did a neighborhood presentation, and folks raised doubts about the viability of outdoor malls in Madison, they started their answer by saying, "We know you are pretty proud of your winters in Wisconsin. We are sort of proud of ours in new England as well...."

That got a laugh, and they were able to explain that even in areas with very cold, snowy winters, open-air malls have been shown to be significantly more popular and successful than the traditional closed-mall.

I am looking forward to the new design. They showed drawings of outdoor seating in the new alley/walkway that will run between Macy's and the northern half of the mall. The stores entrances will be on the outside instead of indoors, and there will be more pedestrian amenities.

I requested a coffee shop. There really is no "third space" in that area, and the wi-fi never works at Sundance. Metcalf's has a "coffee shop," but sitting in a grocery store isn't my idea of a place to hang out.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm

roadkill bill wrote:hat got a laugh, and they were able to explain that even in areas with very cold, snowy winters, open-air malls have been shown to be significantly more popular and successful than the traditional closed-mall.

There is an outdoor outlet mall outside of Kenosha and it is jammed throughout the winter. Also, because it's cold out, people tend to spend more time in each store. I remember going there a lot during the winter months and it wasn't a problem.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Probably one of the big underlying reasons for management is much lower heat bills in winter and AC costs in summer.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I find Greenway Station to be very poorly planned. It's just awful, awful use of urban space. It's an upscale strip mall. They used to call it a "Lifestyle Center." Gimme a fucking break.

It must have been designed by the auto starter industry because people wear out their car starters driving from store to store. No one is going to walk the entire property to go to stores on opposite ends during this cold winter. Even in the summer I've seen people go to one store, then get in their vehicles and drive to another, then drive to a nearby restaurant. And, of course, no one lives nearby. I'd like to bulldoze it, and rebuild it to something that had some mixed development.

As for Hilldale, the management has purposely been Westgating this mall for a decade. A lot of the people in the outside shops got great rents just to fill it, but they kicked people out of the inside. Stores would rent on the inside if the management wanted them.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:31 pm

gargantua wrote:Yes, as I contemplate the snow and 7 degree temperature outside right now, nothing seems like a brighter idea than an open air mall. It makes me wonder if the ownership mistakenly believes Hilldale is in Florida.

uh Yeah. They probably have some consultants on hand who say you'll pay less in heating and air-conditioning with this change. It will halt the winter "mall exercise walk" at Hilldale. I'm thinking in inclement weather most patrons will head to the store of their choice and not wander and shop at other establishments they may not have otherwise visited. And those establishments may not even be at Hilldale with the outdoor changes.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm not looking forward to crossing the stupid T intersection, that the "avenue" next to Macy's is going to create! It's nuisance enough, getting off at the lousy (muddy, snowy, slippery) bus stop at Flemings, and then out guessing cars enroute to Metcalfe's! (which is why I'd rather get off at Sundance and walk down the mall!)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm not looking forward to crossing the stupid T intersection, that the "avenue" next to Macy's is going to create! It's nuisance enough, getting off at the lousy (muddy, snowy, slippery) bus stop at Flemings, and then out guessing cars enroute to Metcalfe's! (which is why I'd rather get off at Sundance and walk down the mall!)

Just yesterday my wife and I were marveling at how poorly designed the traffic pattern/parking for the Metcalfe's area was. Cars have to outguess other cars, and also not be so distracted by that as not to notice pedestrians going every which way. Some cars aren't even going to Metcalfe's.....they're going to or from Target.

Return to “Town Vibe”