Packers: Raji/Shields <Dom Capers> | Vikings: Zimmer+Turner

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Packers: Raji/Shields <Dom Capers> | Vikings: Zimmer+Turner

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Madison.com wrote:A subsequent report from NFL.com said the Packers wanted to get smaller on the defensive line, changing from 330-pound run-stuffers such as B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly to more mobile athletes capable of lining up in multiple positions. At the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, however, both McCarthy and Capers shot down the notion they want to get smaller up front.

At the same time, they shed some light on the Packers’ plans to improve a defense that ranked 25th in the NFL. McCarthy made it clear he wants Capers to do a better job of utilizing his personnel, of planning with so many moving parts, of giving players more than one role in an effort to keep up with today’s fast-paced offenses. McCarthy wants a front that has more creativity and flexibility, not unlike the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.
http://host.madison.com/sports/football ... 85339.html

In my opinion Raji played 2013 like somebody who wanted to leave, and if it's actually the case, they ought to let him go. I'm on his side in the sense that they haven't really utilized him in a capacity that best suits his talents. But just in a general sense, when you have people working for you that don't want to be there, that engenders a negative culture that will lead your team to Cleveland-ville, if you don't let the sour grapes go and staff your ball club with enthusiastic people who do want to be there.

Non Sequitur: If I could wave a magic wand, GB would have let Dom Capers go this year and hired Mike Zimmer for DC. I know the Vikings have got the worst roster in the NFC North but as far as I'm concerned, that's the team to watch out for in 2014. Regarding Detroit, I had to laugh. After they fired Schwartz, I was convinced they were going to find a serious head coach - a good one. But when they hired Jim Caldwell I realized it's just going to be more of the same in Detroit for ten more years. Chicago really looks good going into 2014 also.

But, Minnesota, Mike Zimmer as the new head coach, and Norv Turner as the Offensive Coordinator? That is a serious move. I won't predict the future but I can say I have two favorite teams in the NFC North this year. I hated that game against Cincinnati last year but I had a hard time not admiring their defense all game long.

Re: Capers - I just think his tangled web of a defense has become too cumbersome. But it's also true we've had too many fresh out of college kids who don't really know the scheme or the league; and not enough steady vets near their prime.

Re: Shields - I am so glad they are finally talking a deal I could not abide seeing this kid go. They call it "Draft & Develop", but what's the point of D&D if you develop a top corner like Shields and let him go to some other team when he's prime? Shields is so, so fast. There was one interception in particular last year, he came from behind the receiver and outran him to the ball that was in front of the receiver.

Non-related: holy shit I just made a pot of coffee for the first time after giving it up for 2 years, I can not believe the shit people drink. This old coffee pot must be like 11 years old. My roommateeee. What the hell is he thinking holding on to that thing? I know he didn't buy it, and just found it somewhere in the basement. Tastes like calcified mercury. I do not understand people who hold on to junk.

That is all.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers: Raji/Shields <Dom Capers> | Vikings: Zimmer+Tur

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Bludgeon wrote: I know the Vikings have got the worst roster in the NFC North but as far as I'm concerned, that's the team to watch out for in 2014.

If they don't find themselves a decent QB, all you'll be watching out for is another Top 10 draft pick.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:42 pm

I don't know, I don't think Christian Ponder would be much worse than Andy Dalton with a good coach and a quality OC like Norv Turner. Maybe better.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Bludgeon wrote:In my opinion Raji played 2013 like somebody who wanted to leave, and if it's actually the case, they ought to let him go. I'm on his side in the sense that they haven't really utilized him in a capacity that best suits his talents.

In 5 seasons, he looked quick and active his first 2 years, not so much since. I think he's just not that good. I don't have a strong opinion on whether they should keep him because I don't know how hard it is to find a better big man.
Last edited by Huckleby on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy and plays every game, here are the NFC North standings next season:

1 Packers
2 Bears
3 Lions
4 Vikings

It's still a quarterback-driven league my friend. The Vikings don't have one.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 pm

gargantua wrote:If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy and plays every game, here are the NFC North standings next season:

1 Packers
2 Bears
3 Lions
4 Vikings

It's still a quarterback-driven league my friend. The Vikings don't have one.

Maybe it is a quarterback driven league (a view I also prefer) but that's just a rule of thumb. The Bengals after all beat out the Steelers (great QB) and the Ravens (Better than Dalton QB) to win the AFC North championship.

I had just as much fun making fun of Christian Ponder as anyone last year but to an extent the only thing that separates him from Andy Dalton is a division championship and a level of organizational seriousness. By which I mean to say, Andy Dalton kind of sucks ; ) But, they won the division.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:05 am

If the Vikings thought that Ponder was the answer, they wouldn't be scrambling to find his replacement. Maybe your Vikings should have just drafted Dalton in the first place.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 pm

I agree that Andy Dalton sucks. And, I don't make fun of Christian Ponder. I thought the Vikings made a mistake by drafting him in the first round, but that's not Ponder's fault.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Dalton doesn't suck, he's decent. Sounds like some Rose Bowl grudges.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 am

Free Agency:

Goodbye Marshall Newhouse, Hello Julius Peppers. Welcome Back, Sam Shields.

Altogether FA in 2014 has been a big plus... Looking pretty good.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm really not going to miss Newhouse. It got to the point that every time they announced he came into the game, I'd say "oh my god, no"!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Huckleby wrote:Dalton doesn't suck, he's decent. Sounds like some Rose Bowl grudges.

If you watched him in the playoffs, I don't think "decent" is a word Bengals fans would use to describe how he performed.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Now if Eddy Lacy can just go ahead and have another year like the one he had last year, things will be looking really good.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 pm

SI wrote:Green Bay Packers select Ha Ha Clinton-Dix No. 21 overall in the 2014 NFL draft

Clinton-Dix has the two things every NFL free safety needs — great feet and impressive quickness. He backpedals and redirects smoothly and with little trouble, which allows him to stick and stay on all kinds of routes. And he’s remarkably quick when it comes to driving down in run support, as well as moving to either sideline. Keeps the action in front of him, and does his best to avoid getting shaken on any kind of misdirection, despite his generally aggressive playing style. Has the size (6-1, 208) and speed to square up on running backs and receivers and bring them down.

I'm liking these players we're getting out of Alabama. That's going to be good in the locker room, with Eddy Lacy already there, the Packers are only improving their team and their culture. Something just feels right about having one of Alabama's safeties on the defensive side of the ball. Good pick.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”